Unpopular opinions.

26 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Given that perhaps for the first time ever, large numbers of people are talking and more importantly, thinking about the issues she raises, I would say her approach is far more effective than anything that has been done in the past.

I don’t disagree with your first part, as I said already I can see that they are attacking her.

the part I quoted I do disagree with. More people are engaged yes, yet the people that matter now, aren’t really changing anything and so from that perspective, I am not sure that it is that effective.

I suspect that listening to her now, is for the governments and corporations, being seen to be doing something. I don’t think it’s her anger that’s getting her a platform, more that it’s a young girl with adult knowledge and opinions and she is being humoured to some extent (which I think is completely wrong and cynical).

Can you honestly say that you think she’ll be given a similar platform when she is 21 or 25? She should, because she is worth listening to, but I don’t think she will be because she will no longer be the novel and exceptional child. 

22 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Can you honestly say that you think she’ll be given a similar platform when she is 21 or 25? She should, because she is worth listening to, but I don’t think she will be because she will no longer be the novel and exceptional child. 

No, I'm pretty sure by then she'll be firmly in the "Whatever happened to...?" category. The novelty factor is huge here but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

At the very least, she has caused some embarrassment to those who deserve it and hopefully, got a new generation thinking about things they may not otherwise have done. I seriously doubt she would've achieved that had she been meek and polite.

6 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Very odd how people can be so wound up by a child telling them they have ruined the planet.

The planet will be fine, besides would it really be that bad if it  got a bit  warmer....

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

Go to any online site where conservatives gather and you'll see them repeating the same insults and buzz-words they've been handed, over and over again.

...and right on cue.

2 minutes ago, bennett said:

would it really be that bad if it  got a bit  warmer....

In an infinite universe, it is literally impossible that there ISN'T a giant rock hurtling towards us.

Gies a shout when you want to start the BFG. I'll meet you there.
The Andromeda Galaxy is hurtling towards our Galaxy, that's bigger than a rock but reckon we have a few million years to spare, no need for the tin hat yet.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

In an infinite universe, it is literally impossible that there ISN'T a giant rock hurtling towards us.

Absolutely any excuse for a pic of a giant Rock with a BFG!

LivelyShimmeringKarakul-size_restricted.

6 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I agree with a lot of what everyone has said, there are a lot of people attacking her because they don’t like what she is saying, some might be guilt, some might just not believe it and some maybe just don’t want told what to do by a young girl.

On my part, I absolutely believe in what she says and have been trying to do things to be better environmentally myself. I admire how engaged she has got so many people, especially younger kids.

I feel kind of bad but I just find her annoying though. I think it is her super-aggressive manner, which I would find counter-productive in trying to speak to anyone about any kind of issue. I wonder how many people are turned away from the issue by her manner as are engaged by it?

You don’t have to be a guilt-ridden, perma-raging, right-wing climate-change denying middle-aged bloke to like the message but not the method of delivery.

I have never heard the child speak, but her name is quite irritating. It doesn't scan well. 

11 hours ago, Father Ted said:
14 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

The Andromeda Galaxy is hurtling towards our Galaxy, that's bigger than a rock but reckon we have a few million years to spare, no need for the tin hat yet.

And the chances of any of the rocks and suns crashing into each other are very small. That's how far apart things are, another galaxy could pass through ours and it's likely that nobody would notice.

29 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

And the chances of any of the rocks and suns crashing into each other are very small. That's how far apart things are, another galaxy could pass through ours and it's likely that nobody would notice.

Brian Cox would. And he'd get a programme out of it too, the cnut 

1 minute ago, tamthebam said:

Brian Cox would. And he'd get a programme out of it too, the cnut 

It's a depressing thought that we could be the only intelligent lifeform in the galaxy, and he's the best we have to offer. And the Blur guy who knows about cheese.

7 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I’ve heard this an awful lot this year and it’s driven me to my anti saxophone position.

Now that is indeed pish.

My main gripe with the saxophone was the utterly shite Candy Dulfer teaming up with the creepy cun t David A Stewart to release the embarrassingly titled Saxuality album in 1990. The saxophone has been tainted ever since.

I think I’ve posted this before but I hate all the programmes that nature cameraman Gordon Buchanan makes.

It’s just him talking about himself, I don’t care about you Gordon. Show me some snow leopards you dickhead.