Unpopular opinions.

This is very controversial but I find Greta Thunberg really annoying.

I completely agree with what she says, totally support her cause and would never join those slagging her off for what she does, but I just find her massively irritating as a person.

Just now, Jambomo said:

I completely agree with what she says, totally support her cause and would never join those slagging her off for what she does, but I just find her massively irritating as a person.

She's a greety wee shite.

5 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I suspect that your opinion is considerably more popular than you think

6 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I feel sorry for her. She's being used as a pawn and will no doubt suffer greatly in later life due to this. 

I find her annoying as f**k as well, all talk but no logical solution to how to deal with the problem.

I think Piers Morgan is good on Good Morning Britain and think that he speaks a lot of sense. His roasting of James Cleverly from the Conservative party being a recent highlight.

23 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Very odd how people can be so wound up by a child telling them they have ruined the planet.

I can remember a 16-year old William Hague addressing the 1977 Tory Party conference and the right-wing masturbating itself into a frenzy over how wonderful he was, lauding him for his spirit, humour and conviction.  "The next William Pitt" said a certain M. Thatcher. If Thunberg was telling them what they wanted to hear, conservatives would be promoting her at every opportunity. As it is, the full might of the media machine has been mobilised to denounce her every action and every word. "She's a hypocrite", "She has no solutions", "She's irritating"!  And on, and on, and on.

If only the people responsible for the damage to our planet were held to the same level of accountability as those calling them out on it...

There are unpopular opinions and then there are lies. Nobody believes what you just wrote, not even Piers Morgan himself.

I am going to give a more detailed reply at some point but am quite busy for the next few days but I assure you I am not trolling on this one and have been enjoying watching his stuff on YouTube whilst bathing in the last few weeks.

Very odd how people can be so wound up by a child telling them they have ruined the planet.
The whole thing with this lassie has underlined how many people flat-out don't believe climate change is a big deal, or would rather roll the dice than change their lifestyle.

It's also made me wonder if, in the event that a massive rock heading straight at Earth was discovered, how many folk would rather just enjoy the time they have left rather than give up anything to help build the BFG necessary to avert catastrophe.

In an infinite universe, it is literally impossible that there ISN'T a giant rock hurtling towards us.

Gies a shout when you want to start the BFG. I'll meet you there.

The whole thing with this lassie has underlined how many people flat-out don't believe climate change is a big deal, or would rather roll the dice than change their lifestyle.

It's also made me wonder if, in the event that a massive rock heading straight at Earth was discovered, how many folk would rather just enjoy the time they have left rather than give up anything to help build the BFG necessary to avert catastrophe.

The idea that the older generations spend their lives attempting to improve the chances of their children and grandchildren has gone right out the window in recent elections, and fat pizza faced has been journalists like Clarkson and Morgan slagging off a 16 year old Swedish girl for stating the fucking obvious really sums it up.

Edited by welshbairn

I agree with a lot of what everyone has said, there are a lot of people attacking her because they don’t like what she is saying, some might be guilt, some might just not believe it and some maybe just don’t want told what to do by a young girl.

On my part, I absolutely believe in what she says and have been trying to do things to be better environmentally myself. I admire how engaged she has got so many people, especially younger kids.

I feel kind of bad but I just find her annoying though. I think it is her super-aggressive manner, which I would find counter-productive in trying to speak to anyone about any kind of issue. I wonder how many people are turned away from the issue by her manner as are engaged by it?

You don’t have to be a guilt-ridden, perma-raging, right-wing climate-change denying middle-aged bloke to like the message but not the method of delivery.

You don't have to go deep into tin-foil hat territory to recognise that the people most responsible for the acceleration of climate change also control most governments and the western media. They've geared up their attacks on Thunberg with a ferocious intensity, which should be frightening to anyone who values the free exchange of opinions. Go to any online site where conservatives gather and you'll see them repeating the same insults and buzz-words they've been handed, over and over again.

20 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I think it is her super-aggressive manner, which I would find counter-productive in trying to speak to anyone about any kind of issue. I wonder how many people are turned away from the issue by her manner as are engaged by it?

Given that perhaps for the first time ever, large numbers of people are talking and more importantly, thinking about the issues she raises, I would say her approach is far more effective than anything that has been done in the past.

I personally think the problem is past the point of no return but...

17 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

She's being angry at your government for not adequately punishing emissions and incentivising sustainability. You can't kill neoliberalism with kindness. If she is energising children who are going to be voters soon then that's probably a powerful message.

...this.