Unpopular opinions.

11 hours ago, Snafu said:

Going to the gym is a waste of time.

Doing a few press ups and a few sit ups a day should be enough.

f**k bodybuilding, complete tossers.

I thought people only went or the gym to tell FB they're at the gym?

You mean people actually go and workout?

Going to the gym is a waste of time.
Doing a few press ups and a few sit ups a day should be enough.
f**k bodybuilding, complete tossers.

Agree with this. Go running, play 5’a or take up some other sport and you will enjoy the entire experience much more. People who bang on about their workouts at the gym are the worst kind of people in society.

Working out makes you stronger and better at all those things though. I agree folk posting pics of their abs or what ever is cringe but it's quite useful being stronger tbh.

Yeah I know but if you are just wanting a more active lifestyle then there are better things to do than go to a gym such as 5’s, badminton or even just running a circuit close to your house. Most people who go to the gym aren’t doing it to train to get better at sports they are doing it to try and be healthy. Most people who go to the gym have their earphones in and avoid making eye contact with anyone at all costs which isn’t a good thing either.

23 minutes ago, throbber said:

Yeah I know but if you are just wanting a more active lifestyle then there are better things to do than go to a gym such as 5’s, badminton or even just running a circuit close to your house. Most people who go to the gym aren’t doing it to train to get better at sports they are doing it to try and be healthy. Most people who go to the gym have their earphones in and avoid making eye contact with anyone at all costs which isn’t a good thing either.

Exercise should be part of everyday living, not just reserved for the gym.

Amazes me how often I see people in their prime of life taking the lift up two or three flights of stairs instead of walking. Or people who get onto an escalator then stand still.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2019/jan/03/why-exercise-alone-wont-save-us

40 minutes ago, throbber said:

Agree with this. Go running, play 5’a or take up some other sport and you will enjoy the entire experience much more. People who bang on about their workouts at the gym are the worst kind of people in society.

32 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Working out makes you stronger and better at all those things though. I agree folk posting pics of their abs or what ever is cringe but it's quite useful being stronger tbh.

There's some conflicting statements going on here.

If the point is you don't need the gym to stay healthy then obviously that is true, there are loads of different ways to exercise.

That is very different from a statement that 'the gym is shite'. It's clearly not. It depends on what your goals are and what you enjoy. And being healthy very heavily depends on your diet too regardless of exercise.

There is some utter bellends at the gym obviously but most people at mine keep themselves to themselves. 

29 minutes ago, throbber said:

Gyms aren't shite, the people who go to them are.

40 minutes ago, mathematics said:

This is close to my rule: if you can’t affect your opponent then it’s not a sport.

This

38 minutes ago, throbber said:

Tennis/badminton don’t involve physical contact and aren’t shit.

Stop it. 

36 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

I love badminton. Even it’s name is cool.

Not this.

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Badminter

This.

Everyone is different, some people enjoy lifting weights and some people do better with playing sports etc.  I certainly think that there are very clear benefits both physically and socially from playing team sports, evne if it's just kick abouts with your mates or more organised team sports.  As you get older that can be tricky though.

I used to run a lot and did half marathons but stopped for a couple of reasons - one was I had an asthma attack while running which was quite scary, and two with my wife I having our son the time aspect was important.  I used to do a long run on a Sunday and would get up relatively early, eat a big bowl of porridge, wait an hour or so, go out and run ten or more miles, get back, have a shower and bath, have a recovery meal and rest.  It would basically take most of the day and if I did that now I'd be leaving my wife in charge of my son for that time.  Also, I work through the week and want to spend as much time as possible with the boy.  

I've moved to lifting weights as I want to stay healthy and active and have a good, cheap (£14/month) gym near my work which I can use at lunchtimes.  I find focussing on the big barbell lifts works well for me and is a time-efficient way of exercising.  Also, physically I am more suited to this than running.  I'm naturally a broad person, I'm never going to be a natural endurance athlete.

Working in an office is also a factor about fitness, as stated above by someone.  If you jhave a physical job then you are going to be a lot fitter than being a desk monkey like me.  Also, I find healthy eating hard in offices, I  try to prepare all my food for the day beforehand (breakfast of overnight oats and lunch of healthy wrap or 'pick box') because the food avialable in most offices is just crap, donuts, buns, sweets.  I'm fairly slack with my diet but am making a big effort at the moment not to eat complete crap.

So after all this, my unpopular opinion is that htere is no perfect way of exercising or eating, it all depends on the individual circumstances, both in terms of their life and of their body type and natural preferences.  Except throbber, who is clearly a pencil-necked skinnyfat girlie man.

Edited by ICTChris

Mince pies and Christmas Cake are both absolutely disgusting.

Christmas dinner (traditional one with turkey, potato and veg etc) is boring, stodgy nonsense and the most over-rated meal of the year.

In short, Christmas is a bad time for eating.