Unpopular opinions.

That Greta Thunberg girl seems like a stuck up wee cow who think she's better than you and me.
I do actually feel a little bit bad writing that as she has achieved more in her life than I have and is doing it for a good cause but I just think shes creepy as f**k, like she's escaped from the set of a Stephen King film!!

I found myself in agreement with much of what she said but far more-so, I came away feeling a wee bit sorry for her because I couldn’t stop thinking: ‘Bet she’s got a pushy mentalist parent that’s cajoled her into being their wee Eco Hero’.

1 hour ago, Trackdaybob said:

Nah, just seen her on TV. She can f**k off!! 

"You've stolen my childhood"

Shut. Up. 

Nothing but a media pawn. 

Agreed! 

She's stupid too. She's chartered a special racing yacht to get her across the Atlantic. It's got solar panels, but there's no toilet so all her emissions, and those of the crew, will need to be dumped into the sea. In the meantime many, many transatlantic jets are flying overhead, most of them with more than enough empty seats to accommodate her and her entourage. Her crossing the seas saved nothing. It's just pure tokenism. 

Just now, Rodhull said:

Go on a boat - tokenism

Go on a plane - Hypocrite

Doubt there’s any way she could travel without being criticised if that’s what you’re determined to do regardless.

True but therein lies the problem for those espousing the eco message. At least Thom Yorke was able to recognise his own hypocrisy. Greta Thunbergs demand is for governments to "take immediate action" to prevent climate change, which is fine and dandy but she presents no solutions, and worse she's become part of the problem. Her podcasts, her internet streams, and her media appearances all lapped up by a worldwide audience watching streamed content on the internet is driving up consumption, rather than reducing it. 

1 hour ago, Malky3 said:

True but therein lies the problem for those espousing the eco message. At least Thom Yorke was able to recognise his own hypocrisy. Greta Thunbergs demand is for governments to "take immediate action" to prevent climate change, which is fine and dandy but she presents no solutions, and worse she's become part of the problem. Her podcasts, her internet streams, and her media appearances all lapped up by a worldwide audience watching streamed content on the internet is driving up consumption, rather than reducing it. 

To be fair her general message is to listen to scientists and how they say action should be taken. Your idea that she should basically shut up and not convey a message at all seems a sure proof way to achieve nothing at all. Just reeks of a contrarian oppose anything that could be considered leftist no matter what viewpoint.

46 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

To be fair her general message is to listen to scientists and how they say action should be taken. Your idea that she should basically shut up and not convey a message at all seems a sure proof way to achieve nothing at all. Just reeks of a contrarian oppose anything that could be considered leftist no matter what viewpoint.

Come off it - that's nonsense! The girl is an empty vessel. Left wing, centrist and right wing Governments have scientific advisers already and I'm sure they listen to them. The problem is that reducing consumption isn't going to be a vote winner - something that is painfully obvious when the world celebrity eco-warrior crosses the Atlantic in a large carbon fibre yacht and labels it as a "zero carbon" crossing! 

Imagine if any government told Greta Thurnberg that she'd have to limit her time broadcasting on You Tube to save the planet. I'm sure her screeching "How dare you" would reach greater levels of seethe as she moans about governments ruining her childhood! 

Criticising the lassie for travelling is logically absurd.

It's like a mate of yours who buys a notebook to note down their spending in order to help them save money. Would you say to them "You're an idiot because you spent money on a notebook and a pen"?

Of course not. You'd understand there was logic behind the spend as it would ultimately cut future spend and help solve a problem.

Likewise, the only way for this lassie to do what she does is by travelling. Unfortunately, no magical clean method of viable travel exists in the 21st century to get to the USA. Criticising her for that is stupid and also disingenuous.

And her presence is valuable. She's a bit weird and she's not really my cup of tea, but it's good that she's making headlines and making people talk about the issue.

And she's right. The people making decisions on our planet are guided by money and power and content to run the planet into the ground for a bit more cash. The way the global economy functions tells you that. You have to try not to see it to not see it.

15 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Criticising the lassie for travelling is logically absurd.

It's like a mate of yours who buys a notebook to note down their spending in order to help them save money. Would you say to them "You're an idiot because you spent money on a notebook and a pen"?

Of course not. You'd understand there was logic behind the spend as it would ultimately cut future spend and help solve a problem.

Likewise, the only way for this lassie to do what she does is by travelling. Unfortunately, no magical clean method of viable travel exists in the 21st century to get to the USA. Criticising her for that is stupid and also disingenuous.

And her presence is valuable. She's a bit weird and she's not really my cup of tea, but it's good that she's making headlines and making people talk about the issue.

And she's right. The people making decisions on our planet are guided by money and power and content to run the planet into the ground for a bit more cash. The way the global economy functions tells you that. You have to try not to see it to not see it.

Of course there was a viable method of transatlantic travel that she could have used without disrupting the eco system further. She could have sat in one of the many empty seats in the planes that continued to fly over her as she pumped her raw sewage into the ocean. Her hiring that boat didn't stop a single plane from flying. 

Tell you what though - maybe you can outline what you and your family have done to cut energy consumption in your house. I'm sure you'll be able to back up your claims too with copies of your energy bills? You know - just to prove that you aren't a hypocrite. 

Edited by Malky3

7 hours ago, Cerberus said:

She's verified on Twitter yet Ainsley Harriot is not.

That's all we need to know about her.

I don't even know what that means or why it's significant. 

I don't care either. 

Referring to the social media in an attempt to justify why something is good (or bad) just encourages me to ignore it all the more. 

FWIW, I can't say I'm a fan of ainsley either but at least he's pretty quiet these days. 

Malky in making a c**t of himself shocker. Even as a troll his is a moron. Par with the wailing "BeT tHoSe PrOtEsToRs UsEd FuEl TaE gEt ThErE" idiot

Indeed, the idea that anyone who consumes anything harmful has no right to a view on climate change is the mark of a simpleton.

Climate change is a result of human excesses and our inability as a species to moderate our consumption of just about anything we like, coupled with the businesses ready to capitalise on said humans by providing beyond industrial scales of supply to meet demand.

Because Thunberg is so young, the media have no opportunity to push her off message and sabotage her with sketchy indiscretions from her past, real examples of hypocrisy. There is purity in what she is doing. This is why so many grown adults in positions of power have resorted to trying to belittle her as a child etc. It will get more vicious the more she gets her message across, but it can and never have substance and will just make more and more people look fucking ridiculous.

Case in point, an idiot like Malky digging out a 16 year old lassie because of the mode of transport she used, whilst she was on her way to take strips off the leaders of the planet with billions of eyes watching. Greta Thunberg represents a magnet. One pole attracting millions to her cause, the other pole drawing in idiots and making sure we all know who the idiots are.

I approve.

3 hours ago, Malky3 said:

Of course there was a viable method of transatlantic travel that she could have used without disrupting the eco system further. She could have sat in one of the many empty seats in the planes that continued to fly over her as she pumped her raw sewage into the ocean. Her hiring that boat didn't stop a single plane from flying. 

Tell you what though - maybe you can outline what you and your family have done to cut energy consumption in your house. I'm sure you'll be able to back up your claims too with copies of your energy bills? You know - just to prove that you aren't a hypocrite. 

Hate to tell you but in a sea of shite her waste won't be a problem.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/sewage-beaches-eu-court-uk-spills-waste-water-london-sunderland-river-thames-whitburn-a8757286.html?amp

9 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

She infuriates the gammons, that’s good enough for me.

8 hours ago, Malky3 said:

She's stupid too. She's chartered a special racing yacht to get her across the Atlantic. It's got solar panels, but there's no toilet so all her emissions, and those of the crew, will need to be dumped into the sea. In the meantime many, many transatlantic jets are flying overhead, most of them with more than enough empty seats to accommodate her and her entourage. Her crossing the seas saved nothing. It's just pure tokenism. 

I rest my case.

Anyone who manages to stir the population into action is alright with me, but she should be going after the huge corporations rather than simply asking folk to use paper straws.
The corporations, huge or small, are acting in their best interests. Its the governments which need to be persuaded to enact laws forbidding them to behave in such a manner.

Plastic/paper straws is really a populist non issue compared to something like crop burning in India.