Unpopular opinions.

7 hours ago, paranoid android said:

The TV series Hannibal is actually terrible, and the main culprit (aside from the director, obviously), is Mads Mikkelsen. 

I didn't think it was terrible but don't think it came anywhere near its potential.

I binge watched the first 6 or 7 episodes before realising there was something like 18 in the first series alone.  I stuck with it but it became a slog. They dragged it out to f**k with so many pointless filler storylines.  If it stuck to the main storyline for maybe 8 episodes a series it would have been so much better IMO.

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 08:15, Dons_1988 said:

I didn't think it was terrible but don't think it came anywhere near its potential.

I binge watched the first 6 or 7 episodes before realising there was something like 18 in the first series alone.  I stuck with it but it became a slog. They dragged it out to f**k with so many pointless filler storylines.  If it stuck to the main storyline for maybe 8 episodes a series it would have been so much better IMO.

I liked the books and films,  and kind of liked the series initially.

I liked that they focused on the part of the story that the books don't cover - the part leading up to Lecter's initial imprisonment. 

But they get it all wrong, imo - changing names and even genders of characters, forcing great lines from the books like 'perception is a tool that's pointed on both ends', etc, into scenes where they don't belong or necessarily even fit - trying to make every line deep and profound with po-faced deliveries - the lovely Gillian Anderson is actually probably worse than Mads for that now that I think about it.

The worst crime is shoehorning this mad homoerotic obsession between two of the main characters. making it look like they're massively gay for each other, when there was never the slightest suggestion of this in the books. 

Very stylish and glossy, but ultimately just annoying. 

8 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

I liked that they focused on the part of the story that the books don't cover - the part leading up to Lecter's initial imprisonment. 

But they get it all wrong, imo - changing names and even genders of characters, forcing great lines from the books like 'perception is a tool that's pointed on both ends', etc, into scenes where they don't belong or necessarily even fit - trying to make every line deep and profound with po-faced deliveries - the lovely Gillian Anderson is actually probably worse than Mads for that now that I think about it.

The worst crime is shoehorning this mad homoerotic obsession between two of the main characters. making it look like they're massively gay for each other, when there was never the slightest suggestion of this in the books. 

Hopefully you aren't including Hannibal Rising in that. An absolutely atrocious film that very often comes across as an actual farce.

Totally agree on the relationship between the two. Found it very strange and quite out of place.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Hopefully you aren't including Hannibal Rising in that. An absolutely atrocious film that very often comes across as an actual farce.

Here's another unpopular opinion - the movie Hannibal Rising isn't so terrible - for one thing, it's faithful to the book, and I think there are some decent scenes in it.

I have serious reservations about the Red Dragon movie - Manhunter is a better film, and Brian Cox is arguably the best Hannibal. 

Guest Moomintroll
Here's another unpopular opinion - the movie Hannibal Rising isn't so terrible - for one thing, it's faithful to the book, and I think there are some decent scenes in it.
I have serious reservations about the Red Dragon movie - Manhunter is a better film, and Brian Cox is arguably the best Hannibal. 
Nothing unpopular about that, Manhunter is an excellent film and Brian Cox nails his performance. Comfortably Numb is one of my favourite songs and adds to the movie for me in the context it is used in.

On 19/02/2019 at 19:59, Jambomo said:

You’ll never walk alone is an ok song but nothing special and Liverpool fans singing it isn’t any better atmosphere than any other set of fans around the world can create.

I suppose if, say, The Animals had recorded it rather than Gerry and the Pacemakers it might have been a Newcastle song rather than a Liverpool song. 

Yer'll nevvir walk alerne, bonny lad. 

On 20/02/2019 at 03:59, Jambomo said:

You’ll never walk alone is an ok song but nothing special and Liverpool fans singing it isn’t any better atmosphere than any other set of fans around the world can create.

I'd go one further and say it's a shite, depressing dirge. I've heard more uplifting songs at funerals. 

3 hours ago, Dee Man said:

I'd go one further and say it's a shite, depressing dirge. I've heard more uplifting songs at funerals. 

In the original musical:

"Billy stabs himself with his knife; Julie arrives just in time for him to say his last words to her and die. Julie strokes his hair, finally able to tell him that she loved him. Carrie and Enoch, reunited by the crisis, attempt to console Julie; Nettie arrives and gives Julie the resolve to keep going despite her despair "(You'll never walk alone").