Unpopular opinions.

4 hours ago, Mr Pikey said:

Cannabis should be legalised  it does no harm.. Eh not going by the stoners I have to deal with day in day out. Brains  of these chumps have the mental capacity  of a cheese toastie. 

Only a complete moron would say it does no harm, but it should be legal.   Saying that, when I was in Canada recently I could smell it everywhere and it fucking stinks.  Half the Uber drivers in Toronto must be permanently stoned, as the cars were all reeking of it.

So yes, although it's absolutely pish in relation to it's class A cousins, Cannabis should be legal.

On 17/01/2019 at 03:58, JTS98 said:

I'd say football managers - outwith the extremely talented and the extremely untalented - are basically judged unfairly, whether the judgement is positive or negative.

Almost all signings made by the vast majority of the football clubs in the world are complete gambles, whether a substitution 'works' or not is very often more luck than judgement, whether a player maintains previous form at a new club is down to a whole host of factors, many of which are outside a coach's control.

Essentially, football is a lot more 'random' (a word I dislike, but I can't think of a better one for this) than we like to admit. There's a whole industry built around analysing and talking about football. But a lot of what happens is just luck.

Of course, a team that has a bigger budget will generally do well. There are patterns. But nobody can predict a striker's sudden loss of form because he and his missus have fallen out, or a key player picking up a long-term injury (look at Hearts this season), or the form of a player signed from a league that nobody watches, or the impact of refereeing mistakes or the ball hitting the post and either going in or coming back out in a key game, or a player suddenly coming up with a moment of brilliance that he isn't prone to. Yet all of these things shape seasons and shape our opinions.

As I said, there's now a whole industry around this. There are tactics blogs and tactics books, there are newspaper columns, there are podcasts with minutes to fill. Loads of people analysing things in tiny detail, yet so, so often their predictions are off the mark because they fail to take into account that so much of what happens in football is just chance. Also, we all like to sound clever in the pub so we like to think football is a lot more prone to analysis than it really is. We like to be able to explain things.

If Steven Gerrard doesn't slip, Brendan Rodgers is very possibly a Premier League-winning manager. Instead, he became a bit of a joke figure. If Hibs win a penalty shoot out in the promotion/relegation play-off final, Alex Neil probably never goes down to England to become a millionaire. If Stilian Petrov doesn't get injured at Tynecastle on New Year's Day 2006, Strachan never subs him for Stephen Pearson, who goes on to turn the game and turn a one-point gap at the top into a seven-point gap. That's fitba.

I've seen detailed blogs about how Chelsea beat Barcelona in the 2010 Champions League semi-final. Yet the simple truth is that if Messi scores his penalty instead of hitting the bar, Barcelona probably win and nobody ever talks about Di Matteo's game-plan. We massively over-state the influence of coaches in most situations.

For this reason, I think that the cult of the manager is massively over-blown. Clearly, there are exceptions at both ends of the spectrum, but your average manager is just that. And your average manager will have success or failure on the basis of a load of things he doesn't control.

There was an interview with Alan Shearer the other day where he said he'd have liked to have had a proper go at management but realises he's been out of the game for too long now. Also acknowledged that he'll forever be known for taking Newcastle down as a manager.

In the second last game of that season, we were 1-0 down at home to Fulham when a last-minute equaliser was wrongly disallowed. Had the goal stood, that point would have been enough to keep us up and Shearer probably has some sort of managerial career. Conversly, had that happened, Chris Hughton never gets his big break in the Championship and the chance to earn his reputation as a steady par of hands.

I hate the term ‘gammon’.

I get it, I understand it and I don’t wish to take that side on matters, particularly brexit. But I think it’s childish, hypocritical and importantly social media generated rubbish.

Also, a well cooked gammon is absolutely lovely and I won’t have its name sullied like this.

A very large percentage of disabled badge holders don't need the badge and just because you're entitled to it doesn't mean you have to get 1.

My father inlaw is missing an arm from the elbow down and is entitled to a blue badge but didn't want to be treated as disabled.

Far too many can't wait to get 1 and in all honesty don't need 1.

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 07:26, Dons_1988 said:

I hate the term ‘gammon’.

I get it, I understand it and I don’t wish to take that side on matters, particularly brexit. But I think it’s childish, hypocritical and importantly social media generated rubbish.

Also, a well cooked gammon is absolutely lovely and I won’t have its name sullied like this.

Might resonate slightly more if you didn't have the absolute gammon-king as your avatar m90.

44 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Might resonate slightly more if you didn't have the absolute gammon-king as your avatar m90.

"I might be able to listen to your argument about gam....BUT THERE'S A GAMMON!!"

Nice one.

Edited by Dons_1988