Unpopular opinions.

Where I stay in Edinburgh has multiple independent (or smaller chains that aren’t Greggs) bakeries. Don’t think your pal is looking too hard.
Somewhere central I'm guessing since his local Co-Op is the one on Shandwick Place. I know there used to be an all-night place on Slateford Road but I think that's a goner now?

3 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

There's a baker's chain up North called Harry Gow - really good. 

I had one of their dream rings  at Christmas, sublime. 

I don't think there is a Greggs up that way. 

Oh and

Related image 

For the dream ring comment. 

There aren’t any Greggs in Inverness AFAIK, apparently someone has started a FB page campaigning for one. What an embarrassment, campaigning for the most bog standard pishy bakery going as if it was something special.

Greggs do abysmal breakfast rolls. Their baguettes are a nonsense too.
The steak bake is ok. 

When I lived in Leith I once went to Greggs for some bacon rolls, what a farce. Amazing that you can make a bacon roll, of all things, shite.

I am *usually* not in the least bit bothered about vegans and what they choose to consume or not consume. Up to them really.

However, I cannot be arsed with militant anything. 2019 so far is less than a week old and already this year seems to be chock full of pushing the notion of 'Vegan is cool as fúck so we should all try it'. Away and take a run up my fucking humph.

I've already flicked past adverts for Pizza Hut doing 'Vegan-uary' (ugghhh) with a BBQ Jackfruit pizza and Ch**se....and yes, they asterisked the two fucking 'Es' out in 'Cheese', Greggs doing a Vegan sausage roll (which I'm out of the loop with as I didn't realise it had caused a mass meltdown until just yesterday) and fat-tongued wankpheasant Jamie Oliver doing a programme seemingly dedicated to vegan cooking on the telly and a piece on visiting Forest Green Rovers FC who are subjecting their players and supporters to a fully vegan menu with no meat or animal products as a full time endeavour going forward.

Get this pish punted. Vegans are smelly and weird but mainly to be pitied/laughed at and left to their own devices. Stop trying to convince people that reconstituted fungus made to look like meat is cool. If it was that cool they wouldn't be moulding it to make it look like meat, they'd be keeping it as is.

And while I'm on the subject, cauliflower steaks can fúck off as well. It's not a thing, it won't ever be a thing.

Edited by djchapsticks

What's militant about any of that? 

Businesses are just making a profit out of something that's currently popular by promoting new vegan products at the right time.

'Veganuary' (ugh) has been a thing for years.

My daughter's pal recently declared herself a vegan, apparently plastering all kinds of vegan shit on her FB page.

She was caught eating Chicken Mcnuggets on Christmas Eve though but fobbed it off and said it was still a good thing to promote veganism even if you weren't 'strictly vegan' yourself. 

So caught red-handed and still managing to get in a spot of virtue signalling.

11 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

What's militant about any of that? 

Businesses are just making a profit out of something that's currently popular by promoting new vegan products at the right time.

'Veganuary' (ugh) has been a thing for years.

Define 'currently popular'....I don't know how many vegans are in the UK but I can't imagine it's more than a percentage or two of the population.

Perhaps 'Veganuary' (urggghhhhhh....I'd get it if it was Vejanism but that's a fucking shite bit of marketing) has been a thing for years but it's sort of proving the point. It's not something I (and I'd guess several others) have ever seen advertised until now and seems to be popping up everywhere this year.

Maybe militant was the wrong choice of wording - the Forest Green Rovers thing is definitely borderline militant, though. Imagine you show up to EEP and can't get one of those delicious peppered steak slices or a bridie. You'd go apeshit.

Edited by djchapsticks

Don't see why anyone would be bothered by places offering vegan options unless you feel guilty about eating meat. I'd happily give a vegan option a try, they can't be any worse than the shite meat pies you get at some grounds.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Don't see why anyone would be bothered by places offering vegan options unless you feel guilty about eating meat. I'd happily give a vegan option a try, they can't be any worse than the shite meat pies you get at some grounds.

I don't think its the issue of offering vegan options thats the issue (except for wankers like Piers Morgan) but in the Forest Green Rovers thing, it seems they are having vegan only menus, which rather forces people into the vegan option.

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Define 'currently popular'....I don't know how many vegans are in the UK but I can't imagine it's more than a percentage or two of the population.

Perhaps 'Veganuary' (urggghhhhhh....I'd get it if it was Vejanism but that's a fucking shite bit of marketing) has been a thing for years but it's sort of proving the point. It's not something I (and I'd guess several others) have ever seen advertised until now and seems to be popping up everywhere this year.

Maybe militant was the wrong choice of wording - the Forest Green Rovers thing is definitely borderline militant, though. Imagine you show up to EEP and can't get one of those delicious peppered steak slices or a bridie. You'd go apeshit.

You ask to define 'currently popular' but then also say you hadn't heard of 'Veganuary' until now.

The Forrest Green Rovers thing isn't borderline militant. They aren't forcing anyone to buy anything vegan. Sounds likes it's a bit of a gimmick. How has it went down with their fans?

What are these peppered steak slices you're on about? Would be disappointed if EEP stopped selling the Stephen's bridies!

12 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I don't think its the issue of offering vegan options thats the issue (except for wankers like Piers Morgan) but in the Forest Green Rovers thing, it seems they are having vegan only menus, which rather forces people into the vegan option.

Wouldn't mind a bit of that menu for a change. And the chef come to think of it.

0_JO_FGR_-1044308.jpg

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/gloucester-news/forest-green-rovers-players-appear-2388674