Unpopular opinions.

Is exactly right.

On top of that, every plot device and piece of magic is stolen from something else. I remember reading them to my kids, thinking "oh that's from Greek mythology... that's the Eton wall game... that's from Clash of the bloody Titans."

The books are great for kids who've never come across all this stuff before, the writing is simple and readable and the characters are what these days they call relatable. They've done more to get kids reading proper books than any education initiative ever. But it's not for adults.

Anyone who wants to read this stuff done well should choose the Wizard of Earthsea series instead. The writing is sublime.
Most inspiration does tend to come from elsewhere. Game of Thrones looks at medieval England a lot but that doesn't matter one fucking bit.

Also, Rowling is a no voting rat faced hoor despite it all.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Most inspiration does tend to come from elsewhere. Game of Thrones looks at medieval England a lot but that doesn't matter one fucking bit.

Also, Rowling is a no voting rat faced hoor despite it all.

Quite - it's the War of the Roses essentially. But the Red Wedding is Scottish - the murder of the Earl of Douglas in 1440 and the Glencoe Massacre of 1692.  Cersei Lannister is Margaret of Anjou and Joffrey is Edward of Westminster who, at 8 years old, ordered two knights to be beheaded. 

How do you pump a giant? The mechanics of that deserve to be the subject of another book. Working title can be Sausage up a Close.

What pick-up line did Hagrid’s dad use?

His da was wizard, f**k sake! Muggles wouldn’t understand.

His da was wizard, f**k sake! Muggles wouldn’t understand.

Now we’re getting there, but I still think a film would bring it all to life. Nobody gives two fucks about Fantastic Beasts or the Crimes of Grindlewand but (new working title) Magic Sausage up a Close will be a surefire hit. Magical family entertainment. No.1 Box Office hit.

Now we’re getting there, but I still think a film would bring it all to life. Nobody gives two fucks about Fantastic Beasts or the Crimes of Grindlewand but (new working title) Magic Sausage up a Close will be a surefire hit. Magical family entertainment. No.1 Box Office hit.

Trade secret...”nobious enlargious”. Agreed, Hagrid’s da and the giant pumping would be much better that nonsense.
Saying that, Hearts have had two giant pumpings last two weekends and I’ve not enjoyed them much tbh

6 hours ago, Trackdaybob said:

There are two genders. 

The end. 

:)

Strictly speaking, there are an infinite number of muh genders as there are no boundaries on what a gender can actually constitute. The activist sleight of hand is then (when it suits them) conflating gender to also mean biological sex (man, woman) - hey presto, there are an infinite number of biological sexes! Stop oppressing me you transphobe white supremacist!

Strictly speaking, there are an infinite number of muh genders as there are no boundaries on what a gender can actually constitute. The activist sleight of hand is then (when it suits them) conflating gender to also mean biological sex (man, woman) - hey presto, there are an infinite number of biological sexes! Stop oppressing me you transphobe white supremacist!

Can an individual born with both sets of genitals refer to themselves as male and female, then?