Unpopular opinions.

11 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Most of the Trump protestors were self-important, attention seekers desperate to show how funny they can make a sign.

What I never understand about these protests is why they think walking down a street somewhere holding a piss poor quality sign will make a difference - think what 5000 people actually working in support of a campaign could achieve in terms of door knocking with a message, running an appropriate social media campaign, getting the electorate out to vote etc.

Actions speak louder than words and I always think these people are the very definition of what Jim Sillars once called the 90 minute patriot - they'll show up for a demonstration in the hope of getting on the telly but if there is actual hard work to do then they'll disappear like snow off a dyke. 

Edited by Jason King

12 minutes ago, Jason King said:

What I never understand about these protests is why they think walking down a street somewhere holding a piss poor quality sign will make a difference - think what 5000 people actually working in support of a campaign could achieve in terms of door knocking with a message, running an appropriate social media campaign, getting the electorate out to vote etc.

Actions speak louder than words and I always think these people are the very definition of what Jim Sillars once called the 90 minute patriot - they'll show up for a demonstration in the hope of getting on the telly but if there is actual hard work to do then they'll disappear like snow off a dyke. 

It's a growing activist mentality in tango with group identity politics, a culture of (generally) manufactured outrage, tantrum, victimhood, virtue-signalling, stamping feet to tear shit down without elucidating why or how it would be done better (the responsibility and dirty work falling to others, of course). Extended infanthood.

See Chesterton's Fence, which can be applied more broadly to the shitshow that is a modern Britain wildly out of touch with its history, culture, roots.

Chesterton's fence is the principle that reforms should not be made until the reasoning behind the existing state of affairs is understood.

3 hours ago, banana said:

It's a growing activist mentality in tango with group identity politics, a culture of (generally) manufactured outrage, tantrum, victimhood, virtue-signalling, stamping feet to tear shit down without elucidating why or how it would be done better (the responsibility and dirty work falling to others, of course). Extended infanthood.

See Chesterton's Fence, which can be applied more broadly to the shitshow that is a modern Britain wildly out of touch with its history, culture, roots.

See the source image

This is certainly an unpopular opinion but actually one I tend to have sympathy with. I think some of the hysteria attached to modern identity politics etc thoroughly dilutes and cheapens the real issues.

Similarly there are plenty on the opposite side that use ‘political correctness gone mad’ to justify their sometimes appalling view of the world.

This is certainly an unpopular opinion but actually one I tend to have sympathy with. I think some of the hysteria attached to modern identity politics etc thoroughly dilutes and cheapens the real issues.

Similarly there are plenty on the opposite side that use ‘political correctness gone mad’ to justify their sometimes appalling view of the world.

ETA not sure what happened with the quoting there but it was in response to banana

ETA again - quoted my own post instead of editing. Absolute fanny that I am.

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Ah, so you're not one for the moral high ground then, the other lot are bad so we can be just as bad. Gotcha. 

"opposite side". :lol: Nothing like polarising things, it makes it easier to generate froth about 'them', whoever the 'them' happens to be. 

That’s a spectacular missing of the point. Given my fails of the last two posts I’m sure it was probably my articulation of it that you’ve missed.

I think the debate on many things is far too polarised to right/left. The twitter mob seem to insist on assigning far right nazi/left wing snowflake to anyone who has an opinion they don’t like.

It is far more sensible to interpret each individual issue as they come and also apply perspective to it. I have a lot of left wing views on things but on others I probably lean to the right.

My point was that hyper sensitivity to things can cheapen a debate. Similarly the opposite attitude (sorry, I know) can also lead to a justification of some quite terrible views.

38 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That’s a spectacular missing of the point. Given my fails of the last two posts I’m sure it was probably my articulation of it that you’ve missed.

I think the debate on many things is far too polarised to right/left. The twitter mob seem to insist on assigning far right nazi/left wing snowflake to anyone who has an opinion they don’t like.

It is far more sensible to interpret each individual issue as they come and also apply perspective to it. I have a lot of left wing views on things but on others I probably lean to the right.

My point was that hyper sensitivity to things can cheapen a debate. Similarly the opposite attitude (sorry, I know) can also lead to a justification of some quite terrible views.

Using American student speak doesn't help, like privilege, snowflake, triggered etc. The thing I find weird is left and right often meeting on admiring Putin who's actively, along with Trump, encouraging the growth of Nationalist right wing parties in Europe. The left should remember that liberal values are not the same as neoliberal economics. Don't throw the bath out with the bathwater.

45 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Using American student speak doesn't help, like privilege, snowflake, triggered etc. The thing I find weird is left and right often meeting on admiring Putin who's actively, along with Trump, encouraging the growth of Nationalist right wing parties in Europe. The left should remember that liberal values are not the same as neoliberal economics. Don't throw the bath out with the bathwater.

Nationalism in any form is scary, its just mob mentality on a grand scale.

20 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Not in this century.

1 minute ago, Cerberus said:

Not since The Joshua Tree.

Achtung Baby is a great album, and Zooropa has it's charms.  They were very close to splitting up after the Zoo TV tour in late 1993.  Had they done so, I imagine they'd be looked at far more favourably nowadays.

2 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Achtung Baby is a great album, and Zooropa has it's charms.  They were very close to splitting up after the Zoo TV tour in late 1993.  Had they done so, I imagine they'd be looked at far more favourably nowadays.

Aye, if Bono had croaked.

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

Bono can be a right knob, but U2 have some great songs and some great albums.

Never got how U2 got to be one of (if not THE) biggest bands in world. DId some good stuff, some ok stuff and a lot of meh stuff. Bono is a massive fud though.

Not in this century.
Beautiful Day is an excellent song.

I get the point though. I love a lot of their early stuff but their newer stuff is painful. They should have chucked it years ago.