Unpopular opinions.

Agreed, tighter family and community should help see to the needs of the less well off where they cannot help themselves. The decades-long breakdown of both has had / is having far-reaching consequences.
However, food banks are still preferable to more state nannying.

Aren’t food banks a sign of community helping the well less off?

14 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Aren’t food banks a sign of community helping the well less off?

To an extent. It's individuals making blind donations, picked up by people blind of the donators.

'Community' proper in this context is all the neighbours knowing and helping each other directly without need of a blinding middleman.

To an extent. It's individuals making blind donations, picked up by people blind of the donators.
'Community' proper in this context is all the neighbours knowing and helping each other directly without need of a blinding middleman.

So community only counts if you know the people you’re helping? I’ll disagree. I know that the close community isn’t the same as what it was, but I’d still say the community coming together to help those less fortunate is a sign of community. Maybe we just have different definitions of community in our minds.

45 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Diet fizzy juice is nicer than full sugar juice.
Full sugar juice is too thick to quench your thirst and it leaves a sugary residue in your mouth.

Depends on what your drinking. I like Irn Bru Xtra, Coke Zero and Pepsi Max. 7 Up only seems to come in a lite version now as well.

2 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Microwaves. Don't trust them. Never owned one. My cooker is perfectly capable of doing everything they claim to be able to do... 

I can understand not liking them but not trusting them? Do you think they'll kill you when you're sleeping? Or gain access to your bank account?

27 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

So community only counts if you know the people you’re helping? I’ll disagree. I know that the close community isn’t the same as what it was, but I’d still say the community coming together to help those less fortunate is a sign of community. Maybe we just have different definitions of community in our minds.

Well, that's why I said to an extent, and you may be right in the last sentence.

Community is something that appears when the type of thing I outlined is the norm. Food banks are manufactured 'community' in lieu of this.

I'm advocating that community is a bottom-up phenomenon, you're partially advocating top-down manufacturing of something a bit fake.

Edited by banana

43 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Microwaves. Don't trust them. Never owned one. My cooker is perfectly capable of doing everything they claim to be able to do... 

I was dubious but gave it a shot, instead of frying black pudding, give it 30-40 seconds in the microwave. Works a treat and worth having a microwave for.