Unpopular opinions.

7 minutes ago, banana said:

Well yes, exactly the idea. De-infest the education system to make way for those properly fit for purpose - being a well-rounded, knowledgeable role model rather than a life flake who doesn't like never mind know kids or parenting.

Related, qualification to vote should be extended beyond just age into being societal contribution based, with one path to qualification being marriage/parenthood.

So what about people who can't have children? Or people who aren't churchgoers who don't believe that marriage has any relevance in today's society?

Edit: or gay people?

Edited by Cardinal Richelieu

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Get in the sea. It's one of the best pieces of television ever produced.

I'm not sure how you can question historical reality of it when it was based on the accounts of the company who were there.

Well, playing Devils' Advocate here but:  It's based on subjective memories of a single company,  so you could argue then that it's not likely, or indeed intended, to be a historical document of the larger situation. It's also heavily filtered and edited first through the subjective biases of Stephen Ambrose who wrote the book (and a terrible historian, best known for being Eisenhower's stenographer) and then through the whims of various TV execs and directors in order to make a better piece of TV.

8 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

So what about people who can't have children? Or people who aren't churchgoers who don't believe that marriage has any relevance in today's society?

Cue a hilarious "HA HA! TRIGGERED!" meme.

DA enlightened me, stop replying to Banana’s utter drivel. He hopefully doesn’t believe what he’s saying and is just trying to wind folk up. Folk will just tell him, rightly, he’s talking shite and being fanny and he’ll come back with something about triggered, snowflakes and tears. It’s absolutely brutal. If it could lead to interesting debate or there was an opportunity to try and debunk his shite it’d be worthwhile but that won’t happen, he’ll just jump from extreme to extreme then say triggered.

1 minute ago, NJ2 said:

DA enlightened me, stop replying to Banana’s utter drivel. He hopefully doesn’t believe what he’s saying and is just trying to wind folk up. Folk will just tell him, rightly, he’s talking shite and being fanny and he’ll come back with something about triggered, snowflakes and tears. It’s absolutely brutal. If it could lead to interesting debate or there was an opportunity to try and debunk his shite it’d be worthwhile but that won’t happen, he’ll just jump from extreme to extreme then say triggered.

I've seen this triggered patter a few times. What does it mean?

Well, playing Devils' Advocate here but:  It's based on subjective memories of a single company,  so you could argue then that it's not likely, or indeed intended, to be a historical document of the larger situation. It's also heavily filtered and edited first through the subjective biases of Stephen Ambrose who wrote the book (and a terrible historian, best known for being Eisenhower's stenographer) and then through the whims of various TV execs and directors in order to make a better piece of TV.
It's obviously not like for like and has had to be edited so it's watchable and (I don't like to use the word considering the subject matter, but) enjoyable. I don't think anyone would want a 10 part story of the real gore and guts of war.

Aside from that though it's not exactly a 'USA! USA! USA!' approach and although the Nazi's are the 'bad guys' it's more about telling the story of the Company rather than making the Germans out to be monsters (Why We Fight being the exception). There is one scene with a dead German soldier who has a flower in his uniform (edelweiss?) and they comment how only the fittest and best soldiers have that. The real men comment that they never hated the Germans either, they were doing their job.

I like Saving Private Ryan but that fits what the poster was describing. Band of Brothers is a totally different kettle of fish.

Just now, Cardinal Richelieu said:

It's what alt right folk deem as a success if they get a reaction to saying something like "gas the jews".

As I understand it, they’ve “triggered” you in to a reaction. Even when it’s something as pish as;
“all teachers should look how I want them too”
“Well that’s just ridiculous, isn’t it?”
“TRIGGERED”
Aye, sound mate...

2 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Surely you didn't miss the news that gay folk have the right to marriage too?

Folk who can't have kids obviously wouldn't qualify for voting on the basis of parenting, though I suppose adoption could be a qualifier.

1 hour ago, NJ2 said:

If it could lead to interesting debate or there was an opportunity to try and debunk his shite it’d be worthwhile but that won’t happen, he’ll just jump from extreme to extreme then say triggered.

Of course it could lead to an interesting discussion, if folk would stop triggering themselves at the slightest exposure to certain facts, opinions and ideas.

Intellectual pursuits - such as rights and responsibilities around democracy and suffrage, the quality of the folk teaching our children -aren't for everyone though, granted.

Edited by banana

if you need a licence for your car, television, dog, to cut down certain trees, hold a street party, operate some HGV's and own an exotic pet - then you should have to obtain one before having a child; having some demonstrable ability to be able to provide for the thing would be a start, rather than relying on hand-outs from day one, let alone having the intellectual capacity to bring the thing up as a potentially worthwhile member of society rather than just another cretinous parasite...

8 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

if you need a licence for your car, television, dog, to cut down certain trees, hold a street party, operate some HGV's and own an exotic pet - then you should have to obtain one before having a child; having some demonstrable ability to be able to provide for the thing would be a start, rather than relying on hand-outs from day one, let alone having the intellectual capacity to bring the thing up as a potentially worthwhile member of society rather than just another cretinous parasite...

How would you qualify for such a license? What metrics?

I'm not sure anyone can prepare for having their first 24-hour wobbly screaming shitting machine. The baby is the manual, as they say.

5 minutes ago, banana said:

How would you qualify for such a license? What metrics?

I'm not sure anyone can prepare for having their first 24-hour wobbly screaming shitting machine. The baby is the manual, as they say.

the two in the OP would do for a start...financial, intellectual and fiduciary eugenics