Faith Schools

Hmm that's really interesting

Edit: 2001 though, will have to check tomorrow if this is still the case. More than a few bible bashers in the staff so would have thought if it was a requirement they'd be pushing for it

I suspect it might depend on the local clergy. I'm not sure there's a requirement that they actually go to schools, but it's either that schools have to extend invitation to them or not say no if asked.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me get this straight. You actually anticipate having an argument with someone about Faith schools?

PARTAAAYYYYYYY!!!! :huh:

Let me get this straight. You use sarcasm at will but can't even detect it in others?

:rolleyes:

It would appear so.

Do you use the 'rolleyes' smiley to accentuate your pomposity by the way? Being a pompous dingbat really isn't something you should be proud of.

I swelter with pride at my pomposity. I look at myself in the mirror in the morning and rehearse my smug face to make sure it is perfected for the day ahead.

8)

It would appear so.

Do you use the 'rolleyes' smiley to accentuate your pomposity by the way? Being a pompous dingbat really isn't something you should be proud of.

I wonder which other prolific poster he's nicked that habit from...

I swelter with pride at my pomposity. I look at myself in the mirror in the morning and rehearse my smug face to make sure it is perfected for the day ahead.

8)

Once again, I'm unsure if sarcasm is being used.

I wonder which other prolific poster he's nicked that habit from...

Aye!

Ad Lib uses the word smug. That word appropriately conveys my mental image of the know-it-alls as they sit at their computers with a self satisfied look on their faces at the pompous shite they've just streamed on to the web through their fuckwit fingers.

Gain some humility ya bunch of FANNIES!

:2cool

Once again, I'm unsure if sarcasm is being used.

Nuff said ;)

Ad Lib uses the word smug. That word appropriately conveys my mental image of the know-it-alls as they sit at their computers with a self satisfied look on their faces at the pompous shite they've just streamed on to the web through their fuckwit fingers.

Gain some humility ya bunch of FANNIES!

:2cool

^^^

Verge of drowning in tears/self pity/inadequacy

I personally dont have any religious beliefs and I wasnt brought up in religion however, I went to a catholic school because it was close to my house and at the time it was the best school in the area . A change of head teacher when I was there lead to a change in curriculum. The experiances I had at this school has given me a resentment of faith schools . In R.E. and Soc Ed Classes we werent taught about different religions or educated about drug use or alcohol abuse we had extremist catholic beliefs force fed down our throats. Examples of this would be:

1- During a talk on abortion a embryo at 10 weeks old was shown and the person delivering the talk said " Girls look at this and tell me that you could kill something that looks like this"

2- We were given homework that involved questions including- Do you think homosexuals deserve equal rights, do you accept homosexality in the modern era. Do you think its ok to use a condom. We then had to read our answers out in class to a member of SMT who would take the class and would ridicule your answers if you didnt concur with what they thought an example being when I said I thought that it was ok to be a homosexual in the modernworld I Was told that " Its a good thing that liberal thinkers like myself wont see this happen as god sent AIDS to purge homosexuals"

3- We were told we didnt support red nose day as some of the money we raised " could go to abortion clinics" . I always thought Christianity was about trying to help people less fortunate than ourselves

4- I was asked to read at a mass and I said I didnt want to read as I didnt believe in god and I Was told to respect catholic beliefs and do it anyway, and when I said if this is a catholic school then it should be tolerant of my beliefs and I told not believing wasnt a belief it meant I Wasnt smart enough to understand the Bible.

5- Drugs and alcohol are a work of satan and by using them we were alligning ourselves with satan

Im not taking a dig at catholics here im just showing how extreme the faith school I went to took it. I highly doubt that this is the most extreme faith school out there and outside of these RE Classes and Soc Ed classes I had a great time and an ok education, but my point would be that when these sort of beliefs are forced so violently upon children how do they have a choice in what to belive? Forcing children to be scared of a higher power to me is just a way of trying to keep children in control and its no wonder that so many people I knew at this school DID drink and DID do drugs as a screw you to the system.

Also just up the road from myself there is a primary school where one side is catholic and one half is protestant and they have seperate faculty and seperate playgrounds and dont mix with each other. In Scotland we all know there is a problem with sectarianism but how can the government say that they want to stamp this out when they permit a school that breeds the idea catholics and protestants arent equal and shouldnt be treated as such its hypocrisy of the highest order.

I highly doubt that this is the most extreme faith school out there...

It certainly sounds like it is.

My experience of Catholic schools was nothing like that. Honestly, nothing at all like that.

I personally dont have any religious beliefs and I wasnt brought up in religion however, I went to a catholic school because it was close to my house and at the time it was the best school in the area . A change of head teacher when I was there lead to a change in curriculum. The experiances I had at this school has given me a resentment of faith schools . In R.E. and Soc Ed Classes we werent taught about different religions or educated about drug use or alcohol abuse we had extremist catholic beliefs force fed down our throats. Examples of this would be:

1- During a talk on abortion a embryo at 10 weeks old was shown and the person delivering the talk said " Girls look at this and tell me that you could kill something that looks like this"

2- We were given homework that involved questions including- Do you think homosexuals deserve equal rights, do you accept homosexality in the modern era. Do you think its ok to use a condom. We then had to read our answers out in class to a member of SMT who would take the class and would ridicule your answers if you didnt concur with what they thought an example being when I said I thought that it was ok to be a homosexual in the modernworld I Was told that " Its a good thing that liberal thinkers like myself wont see this happen as god sent AIDS to purge homosexuals"

3- We were told we didnt support red nose day as some of the money we raised " could go to abortion clinics" . I always thought Christianity was about trying to help people less fortunate than ourselves

4- I was asked to read at a mass and I said I didnt want to read as I didnt believe in god and I Was told to respect catholic beliefs and do it anyway, and when I said if this is a catholic school then it should be tolerant of my beliefs and I told not believing wasnt a belief it meant I Wasnt smart enough to understand the Bible.

5- Drugs and alcohol are a work of satan and by using them we were alligning ourselves with satan

Im not taking a dig at catholics here im just showing how extreme the faith school I went to took it. I highly doubt that this is the most extreme faith school out there and outside of these RE Classes and Soc Ed classes I had a great time and an ok education, but my point would be that when these sort of beliefs are forced so violently upon children how do they have a choice in what to belive? Forcing children to be scared of a higher power to me is just a way of trying to keep children in control and its no wonder that so many people I knew at this school DID drink and DID do drugs as a screw you to the system.

Also just up the road from myself there is a primary school where one side is catholic and one half is protestant and they have seperate faculty and seperate playgrounds and dont mix with each other. In Scotland we all know there is a problem with sectarianism but how can the government say that they want to stamp this out when they permit a school that breeds the idea catholics and protestants arent equal and shouldnt be treated as such its hypocrisy of the highest order.

What alot of crap ffs when did you go to school the 17th century? I went to a Catholic school and I can honestly say i've never heard so much crap in my life.....drugs are the work of satanlaugh.giflaugh.gif you sound like a proddy with their half arse ill informed ideas of Catholic schools what else did they teach you...creationism?laugh.gif

Privately-funded faith schools get some of the best exam results in the country.

I'd expect privately funded schools along the Lord Summerisle model would also achieve better than average exam results.

What alot of crap ffs when did you go to school the 17th century? I went to a Catholic school and I can honestly say i've never heard so much crap in my life.....drugs are the work of satanlaugh.giflaugh.gif you sound like a proddy with their half arse ill informed ideas of Catholic schools what else did they teach you...creationism?laugh.gif

Nope, just had some genuinly crazy and extremely old fashioned teachers. As I said I had a great time at a Catholic school just didnt like the two periods a week when all this pish was forced down my throat.

To be fair I was adlibbing the drugs and booze bit but they might as well have said that :P

Also not all catholic schools are the same I actually got all this stuff looked at by a teacher from a non denominational school and got told it was about as extreme as it could get without breaking the law so it isnt pish, its just an extreme RE class.

On the point above, one of my fondest memories of High School was of an assembly near the end, where everyone in black jumpers was removed and given a lecture on uniform standards, including the phrase "black in the devil's colour".

When you have religious fantasist nutjobs in charge of schools, these things will happen.

On the point above, one of my fondest memories of High School was of an assembly near the end, where everyone in black jumpers was removed and given a lecture on uniform standards, including the phrase "black in the devil's colour".

When you have religious fantasist nutjobs in charge of schools, these things will happen.

My cousins metal band entered the school talent show and got simply told " the music of satan" and the next act was called on :lol:

Guest Kincardine

Without doubt the character and beliefs of a head teacher influence a school. Were we to phase out 'faith schools' then what's to stop a "religious fantasist nutjob" exerting similar influence on the new 'secular' schools?

Without doubt the character and beliefs of a head teacher influence a school. Were we to phase out 'faith schools' then what's to stop a "religious fantasist nutjob" exerting similar influence on the new 'secular' schools?

Apart from, say, the law, in exactly the same way as physical chastisement has been outlawed in schools, even though a lot of teachers in the profession probably still believe in it?

You'd establish a complaints system to Ofsted/Local Councils, which would then investigate and respond to any religious bias.

Apart from, say, the law, in exactly the same way as physical chastisement has been outlawed in schools, even though a lot of teachers in the profession probably still believe in it?

You'd establish a complaints system to Ofsted/Local Councils, which would then investigate and respond to any religious bias.

Nah

Archived