59 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

John Bishop is better than Michael McIntyre so something has went wrong in your formula there, Throbber. 

"Would you rather be castrated with a rusty spoon or have your eyes gouged out with an allen key"-type comparison right there.

John Bishop is the Scouse version of Janey Godley

Michael McIntyre is the English middle class version of Janey Godley

I have never heard or seen mention of Janey Godley outside of this website

Make of these three statements what you will

Does Godley do observational comedy? I don't mind folk like Michael McIntyre as there is a place for that type of comedy even if it's wildly overdone I just don't know what it is Godley does apart from those voiceovers and beefing with fitba fans on Twitter.

I appreciate that in general, he's a scummy, racist b*****d but Jim Davidson was cracking entertainment on Big Break and The Generation Game back in the day. Les Dennis on Family Fortunes provided cracking entertainment that Vern doesn't bring. And finally, Beadle's About.

Edited by Ludo*1

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Michael McIntyre is a master of early Saturday night family entertainment. It might not be your thing, but the people who went before him were fucking awful. Bruce Forsyth?

I really don't mind McIntyre maybe he just triggers the parts of my brain that go into a reflexive pleasant tv coma.

The difference between all these people and the current crop is that they were at least earnest whereas nowadays all these programmes have this knowing, winky tone to them. One reason I think Strictly is successful is that it doesn’t have that, they play it straight, so to speak.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I have never heard or seen mention of Janey Godley outside of this website

She was on an episode of Richard Herring's podcast from the fringe last year along with her daughter. Both were as funny as each other. Outside of that, I would have no idea who she was.

17 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The difference between all these people and the current crop is that they were at least earnest whereas nowadays all these programmes have this knowing, winky tone to them. One reason I think Strictly is successful is that it doesn’t have that, they play it straight, so to speak.

You mean like Larry Grayson?

I'm not sure what it'll do to my career prospects to tell my boss and his boss that people who share Janey Godley voiceovers have the lowest most rudimentary sense of humour, little different to paying money to see Michael McIntyre.
Lad at my work was watching a YouTube of McIntyre the other night, talking about metabolism. I encourage you to google it just to see how horrifically bad it is. The lad was chuckling away and I was cringing so hard I heard a crack.