Have all of you got the new style Twitter now?

I'm not a fan of change, but to be honest it doesn't seem too bad. Two completely unnecessary things have annoyed me though.

1) Why did they feel the need to swap the feed to the right hand side rather than leaving it on the left?

2) What is the point in the "replying to xxxxxx" part. It's obvious who someone is replying to because they'll have started their tweet @xxxxxx anyway.

Edited by craigkillie

Have all of you got the new style Twitter now?

I'm not a fan of change, but to be honest it doesn't seem too bad. Two completely unnecessary things have annoyed me though.

1) Why did they feel the need to swap the feed to the right hand side rather than leaving it on the left?

2) What is the point in the "replying to xxxxxx" part. It's obvious who someone is replying to because they'll have started their tweet @xxxxxx anyway.

Mines hasn't changed nor have I had an option to change it. unsure.gif

I just recently joined twitter as it seemed like a good way to pass time and a lots less hassle than Facebook etc, can someone post a little idiots guide to it explaining #tags, trends and @joebloggs etc.

Edited by thomas

I just recently joined twitter as it seemed like a good way to pass time and a lots less hassle than Facebook etc, can someone post a little idiots guide to it explaining #tags, trends and @joebloggs etc.

I'm not clued too up but I think #'s are just used to try and trend things. Trends are basically just the most popular things being posted at the given range. @joeblogg is just a way to specifically tweet someone. If someone's username is put in a tweet with @person'susername then they'll be notified that they've been tweeted.

Right so i get the @joebloggs it is to pin point someone, kinda like a twitter email address, 1 question is if i "tweet" someone using their @joebloggs is it private or does everyone see it.

The #tag and trend then, if i have this right a trend is just a general word that comes up on peoples tweets if they all happen to say it, when you get a #tag it is a way to make a word but more likely a phrase trend such as #comeonyesaints, people would know i wanted them to use this phrase/#tag

Right so i get the @joebloggs it is to pin point someone, kinda like a twitter email address, 1 question is if i "tweet" someone using their @joebloggs is it private or does everyone see it.

The #tag and trend then, if i have this right a trend is just a general word that comes up on peoples tweets if they all happen to say it, when you get a #tag it is a way to make a word but more likely a phrase trend such as #comeonyesaints, people would know i wanted them to use this phrase/#tag

Not if you tweet it. You can PM someone but I think they need to be following you for you to do so.(basically to avoid celebrities getting spammed by PMs)

I think the #tag is used so that you could just click it and it'll take you to a search with posts from everyone in the world who have used that tag. Probably for competitions and such.

I think so, but I think phrases that don't have a # before it can still trend.

One thing I don't get is retweets. Sometimes it says "Retweeted by ..." but sometimes it says "RT" in the middle of a tweet. I find it hard to decipher what is said by who in the latter.

It's not always clear but the "usual" way of doing it is:

This is a reply. RT @user1 This is a question?

In this case user1 has asked a question and the response goes before the question.

As for @user comments and visibility. All posts are publicly visible but messages that include an @user mention won't appear in your timeline unless you are following both the original poster and the person mentioned. But if you go to the original posters twitter page you'll be able to see them.

Hash tags are just a way of labelling your post so that people can see what its about. The hash tag for hurricane bawbag was #bawbag - so it was a quick and easy way to find posts about it.

Trends are just whatever the moat popular hash tags are.