18 hours ago, oaksoft said:

If you want the self-righteous, blinkered, sanctimonious, self-appointed arbitrators of what constitutes the moral high ground answer, I can’t do much better than the explanations given by @DA Baracus and @Bairnardo and would point you in their direction. If you actually want to fully understand what is causing the division over all this you’d need to be prepared to go beyond the easy obvious “they’re all racists and bigots” answer.

But coincidentally a large proportion of those complaining about wokeness are racists and bigots. 

5 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

There was a reply that gave food for thought. 

How about if every commentator at the start of the match gave a wee factoid about the number of fatalities during the building of the stadium. 

The official stat is 3 deaths during construction of stadiums. 

The 6500 figure is the total number of South Asians who's deaths were registered with their embassies in Qatar since 2012. 

The labour situation in Qatar is obviously bad but India is much worse and you don't hear a peep about it when they host events. 

15 hours ago, Detournement said:

The 6500 figure is the total number of South Asians who's deaths were registered with their embassies in Qatar since 2012. 

The labour situation in Qatar is obviously bad but India is much worse and you don't hear a peep about it when they host events. 

It's all BS with stats anyway but apparently 17,000 overseas workers died in Qatar in the 10 years from 2010.  If the same mortality rate was applied to the USA in the same period then there would have been something like 32,000 deaths give or take.  So, those OFWs should be thankful they're in Doha and not Dallas seemingly. 

Of course that's nonsense.  Even without trying, we can say that the OFWs would be from a much healthier demographic compared to the USA so mortality rate should be much, much lower regardless.  

16 hours ago, Detournement said:

Never had you pegged as one who sticks like glue to the official stats. 

24 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It's all BS with stats anyway but apparently 17,000 overseas workers died in Qatar in the 10 years from 2010.  If the same mortality rate was applied to the USA in the same period then there would have been something like 32,000 deaths give or take.  So, those OFWs should be thankful they're in Doha and not Dallas seemingly. 

Of course that's nonsense.  Even without trying, we can say that the OFWs would be from a much healthier demographic compared to the USA so mortality rate should be much, much lower regardless.  

The comparison I was thinking about was British people in Thailand who seem to be about 4-5 times more likely to die than a migrant worker in Qatar.

19 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Never had you pegged as one who sticks like glue to the official stats. 

I've got no idea if this stat is correct or not. Even if you had the true figure I'm not sure how you would analyse it other than to compare it to similar age and occupations in their home nations and that's not available. 

The issue is the way the media have used it to encourage a large proportion of the public to believe that it's 6500 deaths caused by construction accidents when that's 100% not true. The inability of the public to comprehend anything involving numbers is depressing. 

A mental idea seems to have taken hold that stadium construction sites in Qatar are like a Final Destination film. People have been encouraged to get on their high horse but I guarantee a huge proportion of them will have been in a hotel in Dubai, Egypt or Thailand built under exactly the same conditions or been on a cruise with Asians and African workers getting paid buttons.

Just now, Detournement said:

I've got no idea if this stat is correct or not. Even if you had the true figure I'm not sure how you would analyse it other than to compare it to similar age and occupations in their home nations and that's not available. 

The issue is the way the media have used it to encourage a large proportion of the public to believe that it's 6500 deaths caused by construction accidents when that's 100% not true. The inability of the public to comprehend anything involving numbers is depressing. 

A mental idea seems to have taken hold that stadium construction sites in Qatar are like a Final Destination film. People have been encouraged to get on their high horse but I guarantee a huge proportion of them will have been in a hotel in Dubai, Egypt or Thailand built under exactly the same conditions or been on a cruise with Asians and African workers getting paid buttons.

You are correct, though the official number of deaths in relation to construction of these stadiums is 37. Even taking this, that's over 4 people dead per stadium

Just that stat alone is nuts.

Add in the other migrant deaths and the blood soaking of this tournament is beyond unreasonable. And that's before you talk about how they were repressed. 

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

You are correct, though the official number of deaths in relation to construction of these stadiums is 37. Even taking this, that's over 4 people dead per stadium

Just that stat alone is nuts.

Add in the other migrant deaths and the blood soaking of this tournament is beyond unreasonable. And that's before you talk about how they were repressed. 

That's everyone who died while working on the stadiums over a number of years.

My work usually has 250-350 employed. I think we have had 5 deaths since the beginning of Covid. 

Edited by Detournement

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

My work usually has 250-350 employed. I think we have had 5 deaths since the beginning of Covid. 

You know that isn't normal, right?

Really? Not sure what industry you're employed in but I work for a company which employs around 1000 people of all ages. I can think of just one person who has passed away since the start of covid