I had to get the twitter to get updates on my daughter’s expected arrival time returning  from a school trip.

I got loads of notifications from c***s I have no interest in and found the controls baffling.

Deleted. Its success is a total mystery to me.

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

I had to get the twitter to get updates on my daughter’s expected arrival time returning  from a school trip.

I got loads of notifications from c***s I have no interest in and found the controls baffling.

I'd call myself pretty tech savvy, having studied computer science and information technology at uni but I find Twitter horrible to navigate. I only have it to follow the Livi matches I can't get to but all throughout the day my phone is buzzing with random notifications from Crystal Palace signings and government cabinet reshuffles to photos of vin diesel on a night out and "news" regarding one of the kardashians' latest face surgery

The algorithms which decide what you see on twitter seem to be set to random, and something definitely changed recently as sometimes now I can be looking at a tweet which suddenly disappears and is replaced by something else.

It can be useful for following specific things or people, but the experience is ruined by all the 'suggested topics' and viral tweets completely unrelated to any of your interests which pollute your feed.

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

I just joined FB and Twitter recently because they were making it more difficult for non members to see stuff, like twitter replies, and a few businesses I wanted info from only had FB, no website.  I never look at my home pages so I've no clue what's there, but I must have had thousands of emails from FB informing me of people I've never heard of wanting to be my friend, no idea what that's about, I don't even have a profile pic.

Edited by welshbairn

45 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Apparently some people use Twitter by using the algorithm home page as opposed to the Latest version home page. Nuts!

Whilst they continue to try and force their latest shite one you, "Stories" and "Circles" and whatnot, it's really quite easy to change it to get rid of all their trending topics and all that pish.

2 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I'd call myself pretty tech savvy, having studied computer science and information technology at uni but I find Twitter horrible to navigate. I only have it to follow the Livi matches I can't get to but all throughout the day my phone is buzzing with random notifications from Crystal Palace signings and government cabinet reshuffles to photos of vin diesel on a night out and "news" regarding one of the kardashians' latest face surgery

If you are struggling to turn off Twitter notifications on your phone then I'd suggest you're not as tech savvy as you think you are. Go to Twitter's settings > notifications > push notifications and turn them off (all or limit it to certain types).

56 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

The algorithms which decide what you see on twitter seem to be set to random, and something definitely changed recently as sometimes now I can be looking at a tweet which suddenly disappears and is replaced by something else.

It can be useful for following specific things or people, but the experience is ruined by all the 'suggested topics' and viral tweets completely unrelated to any of your interests which pollute your feed.

You need to go to the Twitter homepage, and in the top right click the  ✨in the top right to switch to "Latest tweets" so that all the tweets show in chronological order (like it used to a few years ago).