On 21/02/2022 at 21:24, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Actors are a sensitive wee bunch. The boys line obviously never came in at the weekend.

They're also get a bit miffed if they don't get paid for an advert with their face and TV character on it. 

On 15/11/2021 at 19:14, Thorongil said:

Norman Wisdom, Tommy Cooper, Morecambe and Wise, Laurel and Hardy etc all that stuff are all shite. 
I even watched an episode of The Two Ronnies recently and it had dated badly and wasn’t funny.

On 21/02/2022 at 07:05, IrishBhoy said:

I know this post is a few months old, but Laurel and Hardy is some of the best comedy you will ever see, and there’s hardly a word spoken in it. Also Tommy Cooper wasn’t too bad either. Well before my time but from what I’ve seen he was pretty talented. 

You've brought it to my attention also. Absolutely shocker of a statement by even trying to compare L&H with the likes of Norman Wisdom. Norman feckin Wisdom.

On 23/02/2022 at 07:35, Oystercatcher said:

uiScreenshot_20220223-071238~2.png

Quite funny parody but unfortunately smacks of many Tory voters in real life where they will (sometimes) talk of compassion but the second any part of their income is threatened even if just by a few pounds - whether that be for the benefit of wider society or for support services and/or for those suffering and in need - then they are up in arms.

Number one priority for any Tory is themselves - they will tag on family as well when discussing it (ie "I will do what is right for me and my family etc etc"). They are considerate of other Tories but solely through having shared interests. 

Prime example - Andrew Rosindell, MP:

A Universal Credit uplift - £20 extra for the poor and vulnerable? Govt/taxpayers ie he shouldn't be funding something that the poor "may like but don't really need".

Banning MPs' from having second jobs - "we have to be very careful about this....we are dealing with human beings who have families and responsibilities...."

And not only do many consider it acceptable to vote Tory but many proudly proclaim themselves to be Tories. The age of identity politics for ye. 

Incidentally, Blackpool Comedy getting quite the plug there.

On 23/02/2022 at 18:34, KingRocketman II said:

You've brought it to my attention also. Absolutely shocker of a statement by even trying to compare L&H with the likes of Norman Wisdom. Norman feckin Wisdom.

I will be watching the Laurel and Hardy films on Youtube till the day I die, it’s not an exaggeration to say that they were creating iconic comedy productions at almost the complete infancy of the audio and visual era. They were so far ahead of their time they can be regarded as nothing other than comedic geniuses.

When I was about 12 I remember getting taken to a Laurel and Hardy museum which I think was in Barrow-in-Furness. I can’t find anything online to link L&H to Barrow but I can recall it just being a sort of one man band operation where a guy had devoted his lifes work to collecting memorabilia, and also had a small cinema room showing a constant stream of L&H footage. It’s always stuck in my mind and I’ve loved watching anything Laurel and Hardy related ever since. 

5ACC82C7-1A7C-413B-8AF6-7612B5381A6F.thumb.jpeg.909e414663f090cb9f22d28b5c171717.jpeg

Apparently 8000 people turned out to greet them at Grand Central Hotel in Glasgow in 1932. God knows how word got around without the help of the internet but it shows just how renowned they were back then. What an incredible life they must have led. 

I will be watching the Laurel and Hardy films on Youtube till the day I die, it’s not an exaggeration to say that they were creating iconic comedy productions at almost the complete infancy of the audio and visual era. They were so far ahead of their time they can be regarded as nothing other than comedic geniuses.

When I was about 12 I remember getting taken to a Laurel and Hardy museum which I think was in Barrow-in-Furness. I can’t find anything online to link L&H to Barrow but I can recall it just being a sort of one man band operation where a guy had devoted his lifes work to collecting memorabilia, and also had a small cinema room showing a constant stream of L&H footage. It’s always stuck in my mind and I’ve loved watching anything Laurel and Hardy related ever since. 

5ACC82C7-1A7C-413B-8AF6-7612B5381A6F.thumb.jpeg.909e414663f090cb9f22d28b5c171717.jpeg
Apparently 8000 people turned out to greet them at Grand Central Hotel in Glasgow in 1932. God knows how word got around without the help of the internet but it shows just how renowned they were back then. What an incredible life they must have led. 

The L&H museum is in Ulverston, where Stan was born.

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:

Ah right, I didn’t know that. I knew Stan was British but I thought he had moved to America at a young age. Had a look on Wikipedia there and it seems he spent a lot of his childhood in Glasgow, studying at Rutherglen Academy of all places. 

Interesting fact stemming from Laurel and Hardys work, that one of the actors used in their films was the inspiration for Homer Simpson’s ‘Doh’ catchphrase, a Scottish actor called James Finlayson. He appears in the famous ‘Thicker than Water’ feature, which I am going to rewatch at some point today and would urge every one else to do so as a matter of urgency.

The scene where Ollie is washing the dishes and hands them over to Stan to dry, who wipes them off with a towel and places them back in the water for Ollie to wash again :lol: simple but hilarious. 

25 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

I mind going to the L&H museum in Ulverston a few years back. It was literally somebody’s hoose. The boy had rows of seats and a projector set up in his living room.

Thinks it’s in a proper building now though.

32 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I mind going to the L&H museum in Ulverston a few years back. It was literally somebody’s hoose. The boy had rows of seats and a projector set up in his living room.

Thinks it’s in a proper building now though.

Yeah I think that’s the same one I was in. A row of old red fold up cinema seats infront of a projector, and a room beside it full of as much Laurel and Hardy memorabilia as he could fit in it. 

2 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Yeah I think that’s the same one I was in. A row of old red fold up cinema seats infront of a projector, and a room beside it full of as much Laurel and Hardy memorabilia as he could fit in it. 

Aye. It was quite good to be fair. Some collection the boy had.