55 minutes ago, milton75 said:

I'm bringing the validity of religion into it because those schools only exist because we treat religion as valid. And my personal opinion is that having them harms social cohesion. You might disagree, but that's fine, just explain why. And please don't talk about "disruption" as though I'm suggesting that one day I start padlocking gates up. I would of course, in my ideal world, examine how to phase the faith element out. If a debate is to be had I'd prefer it to be a fair one without putting words in each others' mouths please.

EDIT - apologies if sounding grumpy there, I appreciate your position is in good faith (excuse the pun).

It’s nobody’s business whether religion is valid or not here. These schools exist, and you are talking about taking something away from people because you do not agree with religion. You are very welcome not to partake in religion or religious education, but the right to it is presently enshrined in law and people who do have religious beliefs pay tax too. 

Arguments about sectarianism are largely a stalking horse for general attacks on religion. This is demonstrable as the arguments hold no water and the counter arguments to the claims that faith schools stoke sectarianism are studiously avoided. 

I grew up as a Catholic and went to a Catholic school. I didn’t bother to have my children christened and have sent them to a non-denominational school because it is the closest and the best school for them. Plenty of people have sent children to nominally Catholic schools for similar reasons. 

The schools are mixed and the whole “kids are being separated” thing is a total red herring. 

Curtis Woodhouse, journeyman English pro footballer and latterly a boxer, who I best remember from this weird interaction where he turned up at the address of someone who'd given him stick online - link below - is now engaged in a weird series of tweets about the standard of Scottish football.  The Gainsborough Trinity (me neither) boss claims his team would beat Ayr United, who opted not to engage his services as manager earlier in the year.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/mar/12/english-boxer-curtis-woodhouse-twitter-troll.

8 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Curtis Woodhouse, journeyman English pro footballer and latterly a boxer, who I best remember from this weird interaction where he turned up at the address of someone who'd given him stick online - link below - is now engaged in a weird series of tweets about the standard of Scottish football.  The Gainsborough Trinity (me neither) boss claims his team would beat Ayr United, who opted not to engage his services as manager earlier in the year.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/mar/12/english-boxer-curtis-woodhouse-twitter-troll.

A PnB select could probably beat Ayr tbf.

5 hours ago, mizfit said:

Well….I’m not sure what’s worse, the fact her daughter knew she’d say this on a podcast and still uploaded it, or the fact she seemed to have an excuse for why she said everything.

DIAoTzOXkAQJcS9.jpg

I’m not a fan of Janey Godley. She is very unfunny and comes across as a complete arsehole on media and social media. She’s also a complete bully, and it turns out she’s a racist, a homophobe, and anti-Semite and hateful towards disabled people. 

There is an element of enjoyment in her downfall, and the whataboutery gymnastics being performed by her acolytes are hilarious. 

That being said, I can’t help but think of Caroline Flack. Those laying into her on social media need to be careful. 

29 minutes ago, milton75 said:

Much of that is fair comment, particularly the private schools bit as most of them also seem to get charitable status for who knows what reason.

Your points about diversity, however, don't take into account the fact that the rest of society has to subsidise these things. No-one says to me that I have to pay towards them going to the pub even if I don't want to go myself, so I don't see that as an apt simile. 

And it's not up to me to decide anything for religions, or indeed for any way of thinking. If someone can prove something, anything, to me, then I give it credence. If they can't then we're back in Flat Earth territory.

Lots of things are subsidised though they're of minority interest, it doesn't matter whether you personally use them or not. You subsidise farmers, opera, Calmac ferries, swimming pools, nuclear bombs, baby boxes, the Queen, cricket... You probably do subsidise the pub, lots of their workers will be on tax credits.

Faith schools aren't "subsidised" anyway. They're paid for in the same way as every other school, and you pay for those whether you use them or not.

There's a helluva lot more to being a human than just what you can prove. 

Sorry for straying off topic again, I wish I had more willpower. 

10 minutes ago, TheBruce said:

Flawed premise.

It's ALL about equality and inclusion. No preferential shite.

No problem with faith schools, but not publicly funded ones as they are cited today, where a 20% minority get the benefit from the 80% majority who fund them.

If you want equality then it is state funding for all faith denominations, Protestant, Catholic, Muslim and so on. Otherwise it is state funding for nom dom's only and if the remainder who wish faith schools, then they pay for it privately.

And no ah buts about it.

That makes absolutely no sense.

39 minutes ago, GordonS said:

So cancel culture is ok now?

Good.

As always, cancel culture is good when it’s taking down nasty people in positions of influence within society.

Cancel culture is bad when the powerful use to to suppress criticism of them.

1 hour ago, Thorongil said:

I’m not a fan of Janey Godley. She is very unfunny and comes across as a complete arsehole on media and social media. She’s also a complete bully, and it turns out she’s a racist, a homophobe, and anti-Semite and hateful towards disabled people. 

There is an element of enjoyment in her downfall, and the whataboutery gymnastics being performed by her acolytes are hilarious. 

That being said, I can’t help but think of Caroline Flack. Those laying into her on social media need to be careful. 

I mean you can look at it that way, but im pretty sure I cannot remember Caroline Flack organising twitter pile ons of people or sending disgusting messages using further racist language to people who dared to criticise her. Caroline Flack was a victim, bullied and abused by people, Janey Godley is a bully who abused people.