10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Are we talking about sectarianism here?

Yes, and I say that as a Catholic. It’s all just a never ending whirlpool of MOPEry and one-upmanship in which all involved play a part. 

Most real people have real lives and it affects them little, but some enjoy the tribal drama and the media love it all as easy meat.

4 hours ago, TheBruce said:

A supposed neutral only pointing out the bigotry of one side, when both are as bad as each other.

Over the years when they come calling to my team, there isn't a hair's breath between them. From king billy on the one side and all that goes with that  to the glorification of the up the ra terrorists on the the other. It's shameless and no normal person wants to hear it.

Then we have the orange walks. On their own, possibly not such a big issue, but WTF that follows them is another matter.

Then we see the pre covid rise of paramilitary style republican marches by the other side, military uniforms and ski masks and all, along with their threatening banners declaring "We haven't gone away"!!

Now WTF has any of that got to do with Scotland and in this day and age? You actually think any of this is ok?

Many are guilty in the breeding of this hatred, along with those who appease any of it. Parents, politicians and media alike. Some need to get a fucking life. The sooner all of this is brought to an end, our offspring might just have a chance of a peaceful and normal future.  None of it has a place in a so called civil society.

Are you ok?

I am specifically talking about this weird podcaster and his "war".

Everyone knows religion is shitshow.

22 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Yes, and I say that as a Catholic. It’s all just a never ending whirlpool of MOPEry and one-upmanship in which all involved play a part. 

Most real people have real lives and it affects them little, but some enjoy the tribal drama and the media love it all as easy meat.

you are a moron

27 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Mate, our kids go to different schools because of their religion :lol:

We've got a huge societal problem with it, passing it off as a minority of people who can easily be ignored is utterly laughable.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Mate, our kids go to different schools because of their religion :lol:

We've got a huge societal problem with it, passing it off as a minority of people who can easily be ignored is utterly laughable.

I don’t care about the school situation. I’m a Catholic and I sent my child to a non denominational school because it was the closest and best school in the area. I know people of various religions and none who have sent their children to catholic schools for similar reasons. 

Countries all around the world have all different types of schools. 

Yes, there is a social problem in this country but it is significantly exaggerated on a regular basis and given a huge platform which only keeps it alive. It’s an absolute non-issue for the overwhelming majority of people living in this country. 

I think a lot of people enjoy the drama, and that extends to many of the uninvolved bystanders who like to feed the drama. 

1 minute ago, Thorongil said:

I don’t care about the school situation. I’m a Catholic and I sent my child to a non denominational school because it was the closest and best school in the area. I know people of various religions and none who have sent their children to catholic schools for similar reasons. 

Countries all around the world have all different types of schools. 

Yes, there is a social problem in this country but it is significantly exaggerated on a regular basis and given a huge platform which only keeps it alive. It’s an absolute non-issue for the overwhelming majority of people living in this country. 

I think a lot of people enjoy the drama, and that extends to many of the uninvolved bystanders who like to feed the drama. 

I know people who have only sent their kids to catholic schools and don't want their kids interacting with protestants, and I know plenty the other way round - so where does this leave us in this game of Shit Circumstantial Evidence That Backs Up My Point Top Trumps? 

Why do you not care about it? Are you happy that kids are split up because of their religion?

What-about-other-countries is deflection. We have a problem with it here, so lets sort that rather than pointing to others and saying "why can't we just be like them?"

I completely disagree that it's exaggerated and I completely disagree that the solution is to ignore it when it happens. 

1 hour ago, KingRocketman II said:

to be fair, he makes his point quite clearly. you might not agree with his assertion but it's easily understandable. 

His assertion is because I somehow think that Rangers failure to accept they have a serious problem with knuckle draggers in their support somehow makes me ‘part of the problem’. Im absolutely delighted to see any journalist squirm and be called out.

My solution is bring about a legal ‘strict liability’ law, congregation of folks marching to a game singing racist abuse, clearly allegiant to one club and evidenced that they are congregating to go to that game, shut the stand they are sitting in next game. Sectarian/racist chanting at a game, observed by the match commander/referee or an independent observer, shut the stand next game unless its an individual who has been arrested and banned by the club. This will encourage fans to ‘self police’ shout down the bigots/racists and thugs. Then conversely i also believe this law should have positive impact in ways such as, if clubs have a good record they should be allowed alcohol licences for fan zones before games and perhaps even in the concourses/stands. Again, any issues, rescind the licence, will ensure people behave responsibly.  

11 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I know people who have only sent their kids to catholic schools and don't want their kids interacting with protestants, and I know plenty the other way round - so where does this leave us in this game of Shit Circumstantial Evidence That Backs Up My Point Top Trumps? 

Why do you not care about it? Are you happy that kids are split up because of their religion?

What-about-other-countries is deflection. We have a problem with it here, so lets sort that rather than pointing to others and saying "why can't we just be like them?"

I completely disagree that it's exaggerated and I completely disagree that the solution is to ignore it when it happens. 

I honestly don’t know anyone like that anymore. I’ve lived in and around Glasgow almost all my life (now in Ayrshire) and religious bigotry is such a dwindling, fading thing now. There will always be an underclass of morons and lowlives in any society. The idea that the whole of society or a perfectly standard education system is to blame is just silly. 

The constant attention paid to these lowest common denominator sadsacks just keeps the whole thing festering. 

When it’s in the moron papers and being amplified on social media every time someone does something stupid, it just makes it seem bigger than what it is. A lot of Celtic and Rangers das (and others) like to hold on to it and keep it going too. People enjoy being involved in something that is viewed as significant. 

The truth is, it’s pretty much over. Almost everyone in Scotland just goes about their business.

1 hour ago, Thorongil said:

I honestly don’t know anyone like that anymore. I’ve lived in and around Glasgow almost all my life (now in Ayrshire) and religious bigotry is such a dwindling, fading thing now. There will always be an underclass of morons and lowlives in any society. The idea that the whole of society or a perfectly standard education system is to blame is just silly. 

The constant attention paid to these lowest common denominator sadsacks just keeps the whole thing festering. 

When it’s in the moron papers and being amplified on social media every time someone does something stupid, it just makes it seem bigger than what it is. A lot of Celtic and Rangers das (and others) like to hold on to it and keep it going too. People enjoy being involved in something that is viewed as significant. 

The truth is, it’s pretty much over. Almost everyone in Scotland just goes about their business.

You not knowing anyone like that doesn't mean they aren't there. It's dwindling in your social circle maybe but there are plenty of problems there to see in every day life. I wouldn't say having separate schools due to religion is "perfect" in any way, shape or form. Tell kids they're different from others and that perpetuates into adult life, it's part of the reason it'll always be there. 

I hope you're right that it's over but I'd be willing to bet in another 32 years time the same shit will still  be going on. 

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

You.clearly know some truly awful people then.

28 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You not knowing anyone like that doesn't mean they aren't there. It's dwindling in your social circle maybe but there are plenty of problems there to see in every day life. I wouldn't say having separate schools due to religion is "perfect" in any way, shape or form. Tell kids they're different from others and that perpetuates into adult life, it's part of the reason it'll always be there. 

I hope you're right that it's over but I'd be willing to bet in another 32 years time the same shit will still  be going on. 

I wouldn’t care if religion was removed from all schools tomorrow, but you’re not playing this with a straight bat here. 

1. if it’s reducing in my circles then it’s reducing, isn’t it?

2. Eliminating faith schooling is likely to be hugely divisive and would inflame tensions massively. Possibly irrevocably. 

3. My point stands that schools are now largely mixed anyway and that other countries have all kinds of schools. It’s impossible to send all children to the same school and there will always be an element of difference between schools due to basic reality and physics.

Sometimes I wonder whether some observers genuinely want things to get better or whether they (consciously or subconsciously) enjoy the whole thing and want to keep it going so that they can virtue signal.

2 hours ago, Thorongil said:

I did.  I hate all religions equally but the catholic school was the best one for our Bairn.

So now you know one.