1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

First video I'd agree, second video from a different angle looks quite reckless from the owner. 

Weirdly enough I was discussing this today as gf was wearing one of my old tees while painting.

About 20 years ago I was on campus of University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa doing so research and as we drove off campus we could hear a siren start to go off but did not really take much notice.

Went to a shopping mall to buy the aforementioned tee shirt and as we walked in it looked eerily quiet.  We walked into a dept store and the further in we got be began to realise that nobody appeared to be around.

Out of nowhere a security guy appeared and ordered us to an area in the store where there were dozens of customers and staff sitting on the floor of the lingerie dept.  One girl was sobbing and another hyperventilating.  It was only then we were told it was because of a tornado warning (hence the siren).

We found it weird and joked that if it all went pear shaped we could be found dead wearing bra and knickers and that while my family would be mortified, my mate's family would think nothing of it as he was from Arbroath.  We looked around at everyone else and how serious and scared they were.  Ignorance is bliss as they say.

We got out some time later and the main highway had debris strewn all over it  branches, rubbish and some trees/power lines partially down) and the sky was dark and you could feel the air pressure.  Turned out a tornado had not hit the area but severe high winds caused quite a lot on damage.

10 days later (we were back in Scotland by then) a big one went through it and devastated the area.  Quite a few people lost their lives.  I even found footage of the tornado taking out part of the shopping wall we had been in when we joked about being found dressed up like a Tory MP.

I travel a lot and meet people from many countries and they always find it weird that we have very few extreme weather patterns that kill (tornados, earthquakes, volcanoes or animals (from spiders to elephants) that kill you.

6 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

Weirdly enough I was discussing this today as gf was wearing one of my old tees while painting.

About 20 years ago I was on campus of University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa doing so research and as we drove off campus we could hear a siren start to go off but did not really take much notice.

Went to a shopping mall to buy the aforementioned tee shirt and as we walked in it looked eerily quiet.  We walked into a dept store and the further in we got be began to realise that nobody appeared to be around.

Out of nowhere a security guy appeared and ordered us to an area in the store where there were dozens of customers and staff sitting on the floor of the lingerie dept.  One girl was sobbing and another hyperventilating.  It was only then we were told it was because of a tornado warning (hence the siren).

We found it weird and joked that if it all went pear shaped we could be found dead wearing bra and knickers and that while my family would be mortified, my mate's family would think nothing of it as he was from Arbroath.  We looked around at everyone else and how serious and scared they were.  Ignorance is bliss as they say.

We got out some time later and the main highway had debris strewn all over it  branches, rubbish and some trees/power lines partially down) and the sky was dark and you could feel the air pressure.  Turned out a tornado had not hit the area but severe high winds caused quite a lot on damage.

10 days later (we were back in Scotland by then) a big one went through it and devastated the area.  Quite a few people lost their lives.  I even found footage of the tornado taking out part of the shopping wall we had been in when we joked about being found dressed up like a Tory MP.

I travel a lot and meet people from many countries and they always find it weird that we have very few extreme weather patterns that kill (tornados, earthquakes, volcanoes or animals (from spiders to elephants) that kill you.

^^^

fr-ted-lingerie.jpg

8 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

That's why I think if I had all the money in the world I'd still live in the UK. I'm amazed anyone has to live on part of the planet that is actively trying to kill them. 

8 hours ago, Stormzy said:

That's why I think if I had all the money in the world I'd still live in the UK. I'm amazed anyone has to live on part of the planet that is actively trying to kill them. 

Yeah for all its faults, one thing my love of travel has taught me that Scotland ain't such a bad place to live all things considered 

21 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

Just the depression that gets you here. 

So there was a Tornado ripped through Tuscaloosa in 2001 as well as 2011? f**k living there then. That's wild.

Delightful wee place mind you. You really get a feel for how lucrative college football is when you see the size of the frat houses at Alabama Uni. No way are those paid for just by pledges and tuition fees. Also it has one of the largest stadia in the world iirc.

I experienced a similar storm while travelling through Florida (I was on a fuckin bicycle at the time...) and I absolutely shat myself when it started. End of days type stuff. Launched myself into a car which had parked up instead of risking crossing the bridge. 

You're right though. Spending time in the states really made me grateful for Scotland.

19 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

Yeah for all its faults, one thing my love of travel has taught me that Scotland ain't such a bad place to live all things considered 

Imagine it with just one month per year more sun and no Fifers. 

I'd call it Paradise. 

12 hours ago, velo army said:

So there was a Tornado ripped through Tuscaloosa in 2001 as well as 2011? f**k living there then. That's wild.

Delightful wee place mind you. You really get a feel for how lucrative college football is when you see the size of the frat houses at Alabama Uni. No way are those paid for just by pledges and tuition fees. Also it has one of the largest stadia in the world iirc.

I experienced a similar storm while travelling through Florida (I was on a fuckin bicycle at the time...) and I absolutely shat myself when it started. End of days type stuff. Launched myself into a car which had parked up instead of risking crossing the bridge. 

You're right though. Spending time in the states really made me grateful for Scotland.

As mentioned previously.  I have traveled a bit, this includes about 20 olleges/universities to advertise Study Abroad programs.  The American collegiate system is nuts.  Despite it supposedly being a seat if learning the weight carried by sports programs there is crazy.  For many it is a way to fund their education via scholarships or hit the bigtime in sports.

University of Georgia. Stadium 92,000. Had just upgraded various sports facilities to the tune of $25 million. Took me 45 mins to walk from student housing to library on first day.  All that time I was on the uni campus. This included time sheltering under a tree from a rainstorm only to suddenly feel my ankles being bitten by fire ants.  Heat/humidity so oppressive that I was soaked by time I got to library.  Thank god for UGA's own bus service, where students could learn to become drivers to supplement their income.  Only bigger one is the one for the state of Georgia.

University of Tennessee. Stadium 102,000.

University of Florida.  32,000 students 

University of North Carolina.  Fire trucks painted in university colours of baby blue/white.

University of Virginia.  Had logos painted on the roads surrounding the stadium.

University of Louisiana.  Even had its own fucking tiger pen opposite the stadium to house their mascot called Mike!

There is literally nothing you could not buy with a university logo. Wake Forest sold an "Undefeated" football tee shirt...they did not have a football team!

Then you step up a league to places like Duke, Emory and Vanderbilt (:not even Ivy League) and the student car parks are fill of BMW and Porsche.

Even high school is nuts.  Hurley High school in Virginia had the front doors painted by students, a Confederate flag.  Team were called the Rebels.  Gym floor had a big rebels logo.  Toilets called Rebels and Rebelettes and students had paintings they had done adorn the hallways...with a Confederate bias.

I walked across the street to buy a coke.  Upon hearing my accent the owner struck up a conversation.  Before I knew it I was being introduced to "Pearl".  I was given Pearl's life story while she stood there wearing a Rebels cheerleader outfit.  Unfortunately Pearl had broken her nose and lost her arm after falling off the back of a truck after attending a high school football game. 

Pearl was a mannequin by the way, but in the store owners head, Pearl was the living embodiment of everything Hurley stood for.

Amurica!  U-S-A!

Just now, TAFKAM said:

She should be so lucky was RIGHT THERE ffs

Yeh but having checked that came out 10 years before I was born. Tbh I didn't know "Better the devil you know" was a song by her, until Mr Alli said it.