On 24/06/2021 at 23:08, MuckleMoo said:

I've got an unhealthy obsession for tornadoes. Would love to go on one of those tornado chasing tours in america

I once stayed with a couple of lads in Tuscaloosa for a weekend and they were big into that. They told me a wild story of them chasing a tornado form Columbus (Mississippi) all the way back to Tuscaloosa, where it ripped through the town, causing about 20 deaths and completely obliterating about half the town. Utterly surreal. Their home town too. 

Edited by velo army

On 24/06/2021 at 22:56, Arch Stanton said:

Tornado today in Moravia, Czech Republic. Watch the trees in the background.

I'm amazed that closing the window - and then the blinds - didn't keep the tornado at bay. Amazed. 

12 hours ago, velo army said:

I once stayed with a couple of lads in Tuscaloosa for a weekend and they were big into that. They told me a wild story of them chasing a tornado form Columbus (Mississippi) all the way back to Tuscaloosa, where it ripped through the town, causing about 20 deaths and completely obliterating about half the town. Utterly surreal. Their home town too. 

What are the chances of that happening? Did they realise on the way it was heading to where they live?

13 hours ago, velo army said:

We don't get many tornadoes in Michigan. We get the occasional Tornado Watch alerts but this weekend we got only the second Tornado Warning in the nine years I've been living here. I dunno if it's fear of the unknown, or that you're at the mercy of nature, or that IT'S A FUCKING TORNADO but I found the whole affair pretty terrifying.

In the end, one did touch down but it was about a mile outside of town and headed north through fields rather than south through my house. Some amount of rain, though.

Edited by MSU

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What are the chances of that happening? Did they realise on the way it was heading to where they live?

Aye what they were saying was that they're super unpredictable, so no, they didn't know it was headed to town until it got a bit closer. Sometimes they die out, sometimes they make a sudden reverse (which sounds terrifying if you're following behind it) but aye, it started just outside Columbus, which is  56 miles from Tuscaloosa. Imagine a Tornado lasting that long. Mind boggling. I never experienced tornadoes when I was over there (they're a springtime phenomenon, I was there in summer), but I was in some fairly hefty thunderstorms. The weather really doesn't f**k about over there. 

I can kinda see a relationship between the fact that the "bible belt" and "tornado alley" are more or less the same. That kind of weather would make you believe that the very wrath of God was upon you.

23 minutes ago, velo army said:

Aye what they were saying was that they're super unpredictable, so no, they didn't know it was headed to town until it got a bit closer. Sometimes they die out, sometimes they make a sudden reverse (which sounds terrifying if you're following behind it) but aye, it started just outside Columbus, which is  56 miles from Tuscaloosa. Imagine a Tornado lasting that long. Mind boggling. I never experienced tornadoes when I was over there (they're a springtime phenomenon, I was there in summer), but I was in some fairly hefty thunderstorms. The weather really doesn't f**k about over there. 

I can kinda see a relationship between the fact that the "bible belt" and "tornado alley" are more or less the same. That kind of weather would make you believe that the very wrath of God was upon you.

I wondered if they'd had time to phone their Mum and get her to take the trampoline in.