21 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Winston Churchill said, "We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English" and he bitterly opposed the return of British naval ports to Ireland after independence.

He actually quite fancied a united Ireland, but back under British influence. 

Apart from that there's the Bengal famines and stuff, obviously. 

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

Rather than lying, isn't it just possible I don't follow many people who give AF about what some guy I'd never heard of before said at some award ceremony for singers I'd never heard of on another continent? And that the only tweets I'd seen were about him having a go at feminists?

There's literally nothing in anything I said that could, at any level, be inferred as an insinuation that he's racist. Though, it has to be said, if you're giving out awards you should fkn well know how to pronounce the winners' names. I wouldn't know if that's racist in this context but it's definitely extremely disrespectful.

So you didn’t see any tweets about him, didn’t see what he said, don’t know who he is but because you saw some tweets that he might be sexist, but decided to comment on here that he wasn’t funny and because he wasn’t married to a black woman doesn’t mean he’s not racist? 

have I summed it up pretty well? 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

So you didn’t see any tweets about him, didn’t see what he said, don’t know who he is but because you saw some tweets that he might be sexist, but decided to comment on here that he wasn’t funny and because he wasn’t married to a black woman doesn’t mean he’s not racist? 

have I summed it up pretty well? 

Um, no. You missed the bit where I said "the only tweets I'd seen were about him", meaning I had seen tweets about him. Just not ones about race. 

You then told me that he'd mispronounced the names of award winners (so more than one), at an award show at which he was giving out awards, which is obviously disrespectful.

I looked up what he said and it wasn't funny.

Apart from that you were right on the money... 

14 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Um, no. You missed the bit where I said "the only tweets I'd seen were about him", meaning I had seen tweets about him. Just not ones about race. 

You then told me that he'd mispronounced the names of award winners (so more than one), at an award show at which he was giving out awards, which is obviously disrespectful.

I looked up what he said and it wasn't funny.

Apart from that you were right on the money... 

This is the Oscars, significantly higher profile than the Grammys but I’m pretty sure Travolta wasn’t likened to a plantation owner raping slaves by people who didn’t see what he said. 

Bill Burr made jokes on Saturday night live about white women and how quickly they made Black Lives Matter about them. This was a big issue in the African American community at the time and probably still is. It was around the “Karen culture” of arrogance. People preaching about equality but really just talking about themselves.

Because he held up a mirror to current events and took an angle on it to find humour (his job) and the butt of the joke was women, people either recognise what he is saying and laugh or accept it was a joke. Alternatively, they don’t recognise it, take offence that a man has made a joke about a woman and try to cancel him by claiming he is sexist/racist when in actual fact he has been neither and there was nothing offensive in what he said. 

11 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

This is the Oscars, significantly higher profile than the Grammys but I’m pretty sure Travolta wasn’t likened to a plantation owner raping slaves by people who didn’t see what he said. 

Bill Burr made jokes on Saturday night live about white women and how quickly they made Black Lives Matter about them. This was a big issue in the African American community at the time and probably still is. It was around the “Karen culture” of arrogance. People preaching about equality but really just talking about themselves.

Because he held up a mirror to current events and took an angle on it to find humour (his job) and the butt of the joke was women, people either recognise what he is saying and laugh or accept it was a joke. Alternatively, they don’t recognise it, take offence that a man has made a joke about a woman and try to cancel him by claiming he is sexist/racist when in actual fact he has been neither and there was nothing offensive in what he said. 

You seem to be really invested in this story.

If you can find anything wrong with what I've actually written then please let me know; otherwise, move on with your life.

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

Winston Churchill said, "We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English" and he bitterly opposed the return of British naval ports to Ireland after independence.

He actually quite fancied a united Ireland, but back under British influence. 

Apart from that there's the Bengal famines and stuff, obviously. 

😂 Stormzy didn't like this. 

EvlJMMuXYAc3Hlg.jpeg

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

You seem to be really invested in this story.

If you can find anything wrong with what I've actually written then please let me know; otherwise, move on with your life.

You were invested enough to chip in with your own faux outage 

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

You were invested enough to chip in with your own faux outage 

I'm not outraged. The strongest thing I said was that it was "disrespectful" to pronounce the names of people to whom you're giving awards, which is surely a fair opinion.

I think you're taking things you've seen on Twitter and attributing them to me. Can we just stop please?