46 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Reminds me of a former East Stirlingshire fan who claimed the title Miss 'Shire 2000 and something. Used to shout "suck my cock" at Cowden and Berwick fans and suchlike when pissed up back in the day. Became a bit of a lower league celebrity. 

Scary woman. Even Kilt gave her a wide berth with his boxes of maltesers. 

Eta I think she was related to "Mad Bill" the Shirey Pirey head terracing honcho of the time

Wasn't that Mad Bill's daughter Sophie? 

She posted on here a few times.

39 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Wasn't that Mad Bill's daughter Sophie? 

She posted on here a few times.

Yeah that was her. 

Used to look forward to my visits to Firs Park. You never knew quite what to expect... 

An academic who started a Me Too Group for women in STEM but was found to have harassed people herself has been found to have created a fake account purporting to be a queer Native American professor. When she was going to be found out the fake account claimed to have died of Covid, leading to tributes to her work and career, none of which existed.

Here is another thread about it. Twitter makes people do very odd things.

I wonder if people did stuff like this before social media and the internet. Got to assume they did but probably at lower rates.

I wonder if people did stuff like this before social media and the internet. Got to assume they did but probably at lower rates.

They were just the oddballs in the pub who’d claimed they’d spent a week in the Maldives despite photographic evidence showing they were at Butlins.

48 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Writers have pretended to be people they're not since George Elliot.

Writers have pretended to be people they're not since George Elliot.

Spending years running a sock puppet Twitter account, using it to boost yourself and solicit financial donations and then having the account die isn’t the same as a writer using a pen name.

I’m sure people did stuff like this in the past but social media has been a big enabler of behaviour like this. I wonder how it manifested itself in the past.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Spending years running a sock puppet Twitter account, using it to boost yourself and solicit financial donations and then having the account die isn’t the same as a writer using a pen name.

I’m sure people did stuff like this in the past but social media has been a big enabler of behaviour like this. I wonder how it manifested itself in the past.

I remember a white male writer getting into trouble a few years back for pretending to be a black single mother, or something like that. I didn't see the harm personally, it's what writers do. I agree it's different from this person though. I was quite gobsmacked when I found out who wrote the No1 Ladies Detective Agency books.