Are you genuinely stupid or just trying to start an argument ?
If you can give me a good reason, in fact ANY reason why stabbing someone due to his colour as opposed to stabbing someone due to what town they come from should carry a different punishment, then I'd be extremely interested to hear it ??
Society will always have an element of violence, but the reasons for violence matter.

Stealing food to feed your children is different from stealing 'just for a laugh'. Context matters.

Democracies have to protect minorities, and hate crime legislation is an awkward way to do this. I understand your point, but on the whole I agree that racism/homophobia can be challenged in this way. It highlights to people that these extreme views will not be tolerated.

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

What's edgy about it though?

That's the issue I have with that explanation. There's nothing remotely clever about a monkey reference when race is involved. There's nothing close to the bone about it, it's so far beyond the pale.

That's why I think he's genuinely not made the connection between the mother and her heritage.

I went to see Danny Baker in Edinburgh earlier (brilliant by the way), he preceded his show to reiterate how he had always poked fun at the royals and the pomp that goes with it, and it is ridiculous to say that he would chose to end his career with a deliberate act equivalent to putting a grenade in his mouth.

I spotted the problem straight away, obviously as I posted about it, but realised he hadn't made the connection, the rest for him is history.

2 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

I went to see Danny Baker in Edinburgh earlier (brilliant by the way), he preceded his show to reiterate how he had always poked fun at the royals and the pomp that goes with it, and it is ridiculous to say that he would chose to end his career with a deliberate act equivalent to putting a grenade in his mouth.

I spotted the problem straight away, obviously as I posted about it, but realised he hadn't made the connection, the rest for him is history.

Was Bernard Manning the warm up act?

5 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

I like him too, but only after reading his biography. I've never heard his show. But if he "always" pokes run at the royals, surely be would have been fairly up to date with the recent arrival 's ethnicity.

13 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Because you stabbing someone because they come from a neighbouring village does not have the possible wider ramifications of stabbing someone because they are a different colour. Keep it in Ayrshire and it won't spread. Equally stupid though. You seem to spend your whole time on here looking for weaker and weaker excuses for racism.

On the contrary, I see equality as people being equal and that is quite obviously not the case.

Murder is murder, abuse is abuse, my point is that the penalties should be equal as ultimately the crimes and effects of the crime are the same, irrespective of the motivation or perceived motivation behind the crime.

I don't get how that's so difficult to understand.

13 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Do you think terrorism should be just called murder as well? 

See you’ve moved on to ‘its those that are anti-racist that are close minded and ignorant.’ You’re some boy. And by some boy, I mean a fucking imbecile. 

I think you'll find that you've completely misquoted me there and in fact have made it up to suit your own sad little agenda.

Nice try though...........

6 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Minorities in this country need protected, because there’s a lot of racist and homophobic bellend’s walking around. 

I don’t get how that’s so difficult to understand. 

Nonsense.

EVERYONE needs protected.

The type of animal who attacks someone on the street because they're Gay, Trans- sexual or Black or Asian etc are the exact same people who will attack someone for being a different religion or supporting a different football team or for being in their area of town when they don't know them.

They'll also take issue with bumping against them in the pub or glancing in their direction.

They are nutters and it matters not who's on their hit list this week as it might be you next week.

Hence the reason they should be dealt with harshly for every crime rather than the ones that are against the perceived "minorities".

That's it, that's my point and there's nothing racist or homophobic about it, despite how hard you seem to want it to be !!!

9 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

‘Perceived minorities.’ Fucking hell. 

So terrorism should be downgraded to murder? 

JE SUS CHRIST

12 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

It’s a simple question. 

Who mentioned terrorism ?

We also have the issue of definition, what exactly is terrorism in the current climate ?

Is a white 16 year old running amok in his school indiscriminately stabbing his classmates because they picked on him on social media classed as terrorism ?

Should the crime be treated any differently to a student from a muslim background doing the same if his motivation is religious ? or if it was a white student picking out ethnic minorities ??

Personally I don't think so, they are all extremely dangerous and they have both proven that they are willing to seriously wound or kill without thought and they should all be removed from society or executed as far as I'm concerned.

Murder is Murder, irrespective of the motivation in my book.

I doubt very much if a victims family would feel any better if their loved one had been murdered by a "normal" murderer as opposed to a racially motivated murderer or a terrorist. 

The bottom line is that they're dead and they've been murdered, do you not understand this ???

57 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Your argument is completely lacking in nuance. You are seeing this through a prism of the direct victim of the crime, there are wider ramifications that you can’t seem to grasp. I’m out of this discussion, it’s killing my brain cells. 

As an aside, capital punishment is wrong in every circumstance. 

Bye

6 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I like him too, but only after reading his biography. I've never heard his show. But if he "always" pokes run at the royals, surely be would have been fairly up to date with the recent arrival 's ethnicity.

People poke fun at the arse cheeks without forensic thought, merely because it's easy to do so, the same with the royals.

42 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

I went to his Italian restaurant in George Sq. I was hoaching with neds from up the east end.
No wonder it went out of business if that was his clientele.

Went to the one on George St in Edinburgh. Why no pizza? Saw a good punch up with two middle aged office types on a Christmas night out though so went home happy enough. Shame about the job losses though.