Apostrophes

Denji

Guest Kincardine

Hello,

does it annoy you when people misuse apostrophes?

almost as much as folk who dont start a sentence with a capital letter.

Just the fucker's who stick them in plural's for no godd fucking reason.

I don't think they teach spelling and grammar anymore so there is a very good excuse for youngsters.

Spelling definitely with an 'a' annoys me more but I'm a crabbit auld c**t.

I don't think they teach spelling and grammar anymore so there is a very good excuse for youngsters.

Spelling is either right or wrong, you just have to learn it. Reading is the best way. But yes we do need to drill youngsters in grammar. I mean, we all speak English, surely 12 years of compulsory schooling should allow people to write it properly?

The abuse of apostrophes doesn't bother me as I can rarely be bothered to use them myself, except when my BlackBerry fills them in for me.

What I do hate is people who type like they speak, or incorrectly use the word 'looser', or use the word 'rediculous', or use several commas in a row,,,,, as a form of punctuation. Idiots.

What I do hate is people who type like they speak, or incorrectly use the word 'looser', or use the word 'rediculous', or use several commas in a row,,,,, as a form of punctuation. Idiots.

It's astonishing the number of people who mix up "lose" and "loose". They don't even sound the same. At least the people who write "I could of...." are trying to phinetically mimic their thoughts.

We all have spelling blind-spots but anyone of reasonable intelligence should be comfortable with handling written language.

It's astonishing the number of people who mix up "lose" and "loose". They don't even sound the same. At least the people who write "I could of...." are trying to phinetically mimic their thoughts.

We all have spelling blind-spots but anyone of reasonable intelligence should be comfortable with handling written language.

Yep that is a pet hate of mine. Also those who can't differentiate as to there, their and they are.

Basic stuff really. Those who do not know the difference either didn't bother paying attention at school or just didn't attend.

Yep that is a pet hate of mine. Also those who can't differentiate as to there, their and they are.

Basic stuff really. Those who do not know the difference either didn't bother paying attention at school or just didn't attend.

A new taxi company in Greenock have a rather large sign on their premises, on the main road through Greenock, which reads: Riverclyde Taxi's.

I know, it is hard to believe such a simple error could be made in such an affluent region.

• 4 years later...

Archived