Madchester

ffcsam

The best  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Youre right about Sproston Green live seen it a few times at the end of a set and it was always brilliant. Was at Roses Glesgae Green 1990 and Mondays Pills N Thrills SECC a year later and i know what you mean about the quality of performance but i cant say i gave a f**k about it at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Youre right about Sproston Green live seen it a few times at the end of a set and it was always brilliant. Was at Roses Glesgae Green 1990 and Mondays Pills N Thrills SECC a year later and i know what you mean about the quality of performance but i cant say i gave a f**k about it at the time.

Glasgow green was a phenomenal performance musically. Brown's vocals were perfect.

Happy Mondays are hugely influential on contemporary music I think. Saw them at Glasgow Academy about 5 years ago, 1 hr late on stage, Shaun Ryder needs a Teleprompter and can't stand for 2 songs straight. Complete drug casualties.

I think Bummed isn't served well by the Martin Hannett sound though despite probably having overall stronger tracks than Pills n Thrills.

Unique band though, fantastic.

• 1 month later...

Happy Mondays are hugely influential on contemporary music I think. Saw them at Glasgow Academy about 5 years ago, 1 hr late on stage, Shaun Ryder needs a Teleprompter and can't stand for 2 songs straight. Complete drug casualties.

I think Bummed isn't served well by the Martin Hannett sound though despite probably having overall stronger tracks than Pills n Thrills.

Unique band though, fantastic.

I've never been a fan of hannett, he did do a decent job on the madchester EP but bummed sounds fucking terrible production wise. Everybody else seems to think he's a genius so what do i know Edited by a1974h

• 1 month later...

Starting to realise that there was a massive dance music scene from Manchester and 808 state with their shop eastern bloc and the spinmaster guys on sunset plus dj nipper rivalled pretty much anything out there.

Not forgetting the hacienda where Shaun Ryder dealt pills from.

The bands were really second fiddle for much of the time.

Edited by D.A.F.C

• 5 years later...
On 05/02/2015 at 14:59, tongue_tied_danny said:

Another forgotten Madchester outfit...

Thanks for raising the High, I listened to them again recently but discovered on the back of your post they got back together. So will check their stuff out. Their first album is super gentile which amuses me given it was produced by the late Martin Hannett, I'm more in tune with his Dead Kennedys work.

Manchester was definetly my time, was lucky enough to see all the bands many times including lots of gigs before their first albums;

Stone Roses at the Venue Edinburgh, Glasgow Rooftops, spike Island, Ally Pally, Blackpool.

Saw the Charlatans most as I was buying 60's Garage punk from a shop whose owner went on to manage the band. Pre first single they done a lot of "secret" gigs so managed to see them in Northwich, Warrington and London then after the first album travelled a bit with them in the uk and a trip to Paris.

I agree the Inspiral carpets were possibly the best live band through their early work (traincrash, planecrash, Joe, dung4) pity for me is that both Inspiral Carpets and Charlatans first albums were softened so much their live energy was lost.

The thread gave me a smile as the music has recently started coming back into my life; my daughter is obsessed with the Different Days album while one of my kids at my work who I'm teaching guitar has been learning Happy Mondays riffs.

As a result I went into the loft to dig out concert tickets, back stage passes, programmes etc for them to see.

Some great memories and a host of trips I have no recollection of whatsoever; World of Twist, Flowered up, The Cranberries supporting Liverpool band TOP, I recall seeing the La's twice yet I've got half a dozen tickets including a signed one. Cant imagine how my memory of those days could have been so compromised !!