Madchester

ffcsam

The best  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted for the Mondays. The only band out of the lot that I still listen to. I must add though that I hated Step On. Typical that their best known tune would be their shittest.

These c***s were London's answer to Madchester. Pretty good but just couldn't live up the hype...

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

The Stone Roses are fine if you don't know much about music but if you do you'll know they basically ripped off loads of cult bands, in some cases almost note for note, and as a result their retrospective 'genius' status grates a bit.

I also think you'd need to be pretty much a super fan of The Stone Roses to say that anything other than their first album was worthwhile and I'm sure I read somewhere that The Smiths put out their entire discography in a shorter time than The Stone Roses took to put out a second album.

I'm not a huge Mondays fan but 'Loose Fit' is THE Madchester anthem. At the top of their game they were by far the best, and probably most representative of that actual period in music.

Really, The Stone Roses didn't have much to do with club music.

The Stone Roses are fine if you don't know much about music but if you do you'll know they basically ripped off loads of cult bands, in some cases almost note for note, and as a result their retrospective 'genius' status grates a bit.

As did the Stones and Led Zeppelin. That description is kind of an abbreviated history of British pop music.

If you are a Roses fan then Blood on the Turntables is well worth an hour of your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XND_FvHyVUk

'Tellin Stories' is probably their most commercial and consequently accessible album, but 'Up To Our Hips' is my favourite.

The Charlatans for me, is a great album. They peaked with that followed by Tellin' Stories, 2 albums with not a bad song, after that it became patchy.

The Tellin Stories Docu DVD is a must for anyone who wants to slouch into the couch and relive the mid 90s.

I never really got into the Happy Mondays, but Black Grape are incredible!

I wasn't up to much when the first Roses album came out, I was probably 12 or 13, so still listenning to Wet Wet Wet and Deacon Blue and my Dads LPs. But to me Second Coming is an outstanding album from start to finish, maybe because the first album hadn't effected me. Ten Storey Love Song still blows me away.

I've only got into the Inspiral Carpets over the last couple of years as the GF loves them, up until then I'd bracketed them with the Happy Mondays in, not really fussed to find out about.

Edited by dave.j

The Miltown Brothers

The Mock Turtles

New Fast Atomic Daffodils

I'm sure Northside did a Right Said Fred cover that was brilliant.

The Mondays were outstanding though.

Apple Green by the Milltown Brothers is a good tune plus Noel Gallagher may have "drawn inspiration" from it for Up in the Sky.

The Right Said Fred cover was by Flowered Up - Don't Talk Just Kiss. I know they're not from Manchester but Flowered Up's Weekender is up there with best of them.

The Stone Roses are fine if you don't know much about music but if you do you'll know they basically ripped off loads of cult bands, in some cases almost note for note,

Do you have some examples of that? Not having a go but i'm a massive roses fan and other than "Velocity Girl" by the Primals i can't think of any other note for note copies. The guitar line in Fool's Gold had been round the block a few times, mind you and Tim Buckley had a similar arpeggio to Ressurection on Buzzin' Fly but that's about it

• 2 weeks later...

Got to disagree about the general consensus that the mondays were better than the roses. I do love the mondays and their brand of punk funk and they were defo a voice for the generation but they couldn't touch the roses musically. Squire and reni pissed all over any of the Mondays as players. You should read Ryder's autobiography which is really good and honest. Their keyboard player couldn't play a note and everything was pre- recorded for him. As for their masterpiece pills thrills and bellyaches it was basically a paul oakenfold record which added vocals from shaun and guitar riffs played over the top. Still a great band though. I will admit the Mondays were the more happening thing at the time but that was because of the hacenida, tony wilson and the fact shaun was basically a big player in the manchester drug scene. I think the mondays peaked with the manchester EP not the remix one but the original effort. That shows they were a decent band but if the truth be told it was the remixes that broke the band through. Both the oakenfold and the Vince Clark mix of WFL.

As for the roses they were head and shoulders above any band from that era, true ian brown can't sing live but did punk not sort the shit out years ago. He's a good frontman and an decent song writer. And the there is defo some magic between the other three. The begining of adored, the end of ressurection these guys are great players. Even there b-side were better than any other manchester group, with Mersey paradise, something's burning. I even love the second coming.

I think james deserves a mention, come home is a classic.

Edited by a1974h

You contradicted yourself mentioning Happy Mondays lack of musicianship then justifying Brown's voice with the punk ethos of playing regarding of how much talent you have.

Understand what you mean though but as a guitar based music fan I've never held too much stock in technical skills and sometimes the more technical a musician is the more tedious I find them. Different story with rappers for me though.

Don't know if this is on or off topic but what do people think of The Stone Roses- The Remixes cd?

I think there is some great tunes on it I love The Stone Roses but I'd go as far as saying that the 808 State remix of Made Of Stone gives the original more than a run for it's money if not better.

Having seen them all live i have to say the Inspiral Carpets were fucking amazing , close second would be Northside followed by James . Sproston Green by the Charlatans remains one of my all time favourite live songs though. Roses and Mondays were let down with the shite vocals and not remembering the words etc. f**k i was probably just as fucked up as Brown and Ryder and i knew the fuckin words.