Madchester

ffcsam

The best  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Honest judgement please for those who remember the good days

Stone Roses

Happy Mondays

Inspiral Carpets

Charlatans

Pick one :)

Edited by ffcsam

I was a student in Manchester at the time and I can't say I really liked any of them, the whole Madchester thing was pretty irritating.

But you've got to say, that first Stone Roses album is a genuine classic. I heard it again for the first time in years a bit back and it still rings out clear as a bell and fresh as a daisy. None of the others have lasted in anything like the same way.

(The Charlatans aren't from Manchester, btw. Plus, they only had one good song.)

(The Charlatans aren't from Manchester, btw. Plus, they only had one good song.)

Sorry, I did not know that. What I meant was, out of these 4 from the Madchester scene, who do you prefer

1. Stone Roses

2. Happy Mondays

3. The Charlatans

4. Inspiral Carpets

The top three are amongst my favourite bands. Surprised the Happy Mondays have so few votes, great band. Between them and Black Grape you have to admire the consistently high standard of Ryder's output over the years.

The Stone Roses by a country mile - there will never be a more fully realised debut album released in my lifetime IMO.

Even amid chaos they somehow made a great follow up. People complain that it showed its influences too much but no more than their debut did, though its telling that the least Squire-sounding songs on Second Coming were the more interesting ones and the ones Ian Brown co-wrote (Daybreak/Straight To The Man/Begging You) so it kind of did suffer through Squire's ego but not enough to prevent me from being enthralled by it. I feel The Second Coming has aged well too though that could be because it was borne from the 70's :lol:

Good to see props for Inspiral Carpets, one of the best singles bands but unfortunately never managed a killer album. Made some great Peel Sessions though.

Happy Mondays were held in far too high an esteem by the music press at the time and have dated badly, though Bummed will forever remain a fantastic album due in the most part to Martin Hannett's wonderful production skills but also some choice lyrics!

The Charlatans will always be The Charlatans - purveyors of generic, passable mid-paced indie rock till the end of time with occasional bouts of falsetto to break the tedium.

Edited by pantene proV

The Stone Roses by a country mile - there will never be a more fully realised debut album released in my lifetime IMO.

Even amid chaos they somehow made a great follow up. People complain that it showed its influences too much but no more than their debut did, though its telling that the least Squire-sounding songs on Second Coming were the more interesting ones and the ones Ian Brown co-wrote (Daybreak/Straight To The Man/Begging You) so it kind of did suffer through Squire's ego but not enough to prevent me from being enthralled by it. I feel The Second Coming has aged well too though that could be because it was borne from the 70's laugh.gif

Good to see props for Inspiral Carpets, one of the best singles bands but unfortunately never managed a killer album. Made some great Peel Sessions though.

Happy Mondays were held in far too high an esteem by the music press at the time and have dated badly, though Bummed will forever remain a fantastic album due in the most part to Martin Hannett's wonderful production skills but also some choice lyrics!

The Charlatans will always be The Charlatans - purveyors of generic, passable mid-paced indie rock till the end of time with occasional bouts of falsetto to break the tedium.

Good post, Pantene.

Stone Roses for me aswell, although The Charlatans would be a very close second. The Charlatans have stood the test of time, producing fantastic albums and tweaking their sound over the years.

As you say, the Inspiral Carpets were a good singles band but never had a good album.

The first two Happy Mondays albums were excellent, then after that it all went downhill. Songs like 24hr Party People, Tart Tart, Kuff Dam and Wrote for Luck/WFL are absolute classics.

None have dated particularly well IMO. I don't go back to any of them. The Stone Roses has some decent songs on it but I'd rather listen to their influences and to other far more interesting records.

Null Vote for me due to the lack of a Northside option.

A few good singles but not in the same league as the 4 mentioned in the vote.

I remember going to see them at the Carlton Studios in Edinburgh. Good gig it was, but ended up getting chased out the place by some Hibs boys after they had an altercation with a few of my mates.

For me, The Bridewell Taxis would be ahead of Northside. Leeds based, so technically not Madchester but still worth a place on the list.

I can't say I was particularly aware of The Charlatans being particularly part of the scene, even, except as hangers on. But then I probably wasn't paying much attention.

Roses, Mondays, Carpets and then James were the big four. Those James t-shirts with the name written across front and back were everywhere in Manchester that summer.