The Next St. Mirren Manager....

You pays your money and you takes your choice...  

450 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Billy Stark plays down St Mirren managerial link (BBC)

"In Scottish terms, it's an attractive position," he told BBC Scotland. "St Mirren have established themselves in the SPL and a lot of the credit goes to the previous management team.

It's amazing what context does for an article, as that quote in isolation doesn't suggest he isn't interested.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye but you are guilty here too since Billy Stark also says in the article that he's perfectly happy as manager of the Scotland Under 19's and Under 21's.

Er.. that is the exact point I'm making. :blink:

Looks like the board are interested in Hartson according to the back page of the Record. Hartson also say’s he is interested

Still want mad monk Kenny McDowall as manager

I like big Hartson, superb player in his day and comes across really well, but worry about his lack of coaching experience.

I like big Hartson, superb player in his day and comes across really well, but worry about his lack of coaching experience.

That’s what I thought when I read the article. His lack of coaching experience, though I’m sure he has many good contacts in the football world

That's what I thought when I read the article. His lack of coaching experience, though I'm sure he has many good contacts in the football world

No thanks Ian the last thing we need is some rookie manager cutting his teeth and probably relegating us at the same time.

Like Gus McPherson? :rolleyes:

No, in the first division, you can afford to take the gamble. See MacPherson, Adams, Coyle, McInnes etc.

But if you throw an inexperienced manager into a lower SPL side, they're likely to be relegated

Tom Hendrie? one season wonder.rolleyes.gif

Tom Hendrie had managerial experience before going to St Mirren, as did Jimmy Bone, David Hay, Alex Smith, Alex Miller, and Alex Ferguson

Gus McPherson, John Coughlin, Tony Fitzpatrick, Rikki McFarlane and Jim Clunie didn't.

What's the point I am making? Well basically it doesn't matter if the next appointment has been a manager before or not. The outcome will be just as random no matter. What St Mirren SHOULD be looking for is a manager who can attract players with a decent level of ability. Kenny McDowell fits the bill more than anyone else on the list IMO.

Tom Hendrie had managerial experience before going to St Mirren, as did Jimmy Bone, David Hay, Alex Smith, Alex Miller, and Alex Ferguson

Gus McPherson, John Coughlin, Tony Fitzpatrick, Rikki McFarlane and Jim Clunie didn't.

What's the point I am making? Well basically it doesn't matter if the next appointment has been a manager before or not. The outcome will be just as random no matter. What St Mirren SHOULD be looking for is a manager who can attract players with a decent level of ability. Kenny McDowell fits the bill more than anyone else on the list IMO.

The only man who imo will unite the support is Kenny McDowall and not just for sentimental reasons but for the very reasons you have listed. He has very good contacts with both halves of the old firm and within the game in general, and has imo served his time coaching the kids and would like the opportunity to prove himself.

No thanks Ian the last thing we need is some rookie manager cutting his teeth and probably relegating us at the same time.

The only man who imo will unite the support is Kenny McDowall and not just for sentimental reasons but for the very reasons you have listed. He has very good contacts with both halves of the old firm and within the game in general, and has imo served his time coaching the kids and would like the opportunity to prove himself.

You have said you dont want a rookie manager but then go on to say you want Kenny McDowall. He may have coaching experience but he is still classed as a rookie manager. The only difference between Hartson and McDowall is that McDowall has been working with the younger teams. Who is to say Hartson would take us down. He has worked under some great managers and has no doubt learned a lot of tricks from them.

Any mention of real 'left field' candidates that haven't so far been mentioned. I dunno their status with their clubs abroad or whether they're up for a return to Scotland.

So.. Stevie Nicol? Mo Johnston? Ian fergie ferguson?

If the club is subject to takeover and they're bring their own guy in could we see maybe a name like that?

Realistic? Mibbe not, but just thinking that wee bit out of the box or the usual candidates that get listed.

Certainly would make headlines if something like that came up.

there seems to be alot of media driven importance on "experience"...am i mistaken or did kenny dalglish win the european cup without it ....so ...appoint jack ross now

huh.gif

When did this happen?

huh.gif

When did this happen?

He didn't. Dalglish was appointed manager of Liverpool after the Heysel disaster and left shortly after the Hillsborough disaster. Liverpool and all other English clubs were banned from European competitions. He certainly didn't win the European Cup with Newcastle or Blackburn.

However there's no doubt that Dalglish was a successful manager. He won three league titles with Liverpool, won the league title with Blackburn Rovers and took Newcastle to runners up.

Archived