The Next St. Mirren Manager....

You pays your money and you takes your choice...  

450 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd be absolutely gutted if this is true. I thought he was probably our best player this season in the spell after he returned from the red card at the start of the season, but the incident against Dundee United was appalling and it sounds like he had a nightmare against ICT. I was hoping that if he wasn't involved in the new management setup, he could get his head down and focus on his game more as you'd have to imagine the pressure of his coaching role wasn't helping. He would be sorely missed as Osbourne is never fit and we don't have anyone else to play that role effectively. He couldn't really have many complaints if he does have to leave though.

Rumour debunked by Douglas McNeil on Twitter.

Back to being just a player, to focus on playing and avoiding relegation.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I'll bite. Who would he replace?

Why would he have to replace someone? Is there some limit to squad sizes I've not heard about.

The current squad is pretty thin and lacks leadership. If he can get a handle on the discipline stuff I think the guy could be a welcome addition. I've always been impressed by him when he plays . In the middle of the park and we just might be the new start the guy needs.

Did say I might be in a minority of one but who gives a stuff.

Murray still has over a year and a half left on his contract, which I'm led to believe is a decent one for a part time gaffer. We'd be looking for decent compo if St Mirren were to come in for him. I'm guessing they paid off Craig so realisticly would they be in a position to pay for Murray?

On another note, Murray recently stated that in his time with us a couple of clubs have approached us to speak to him but he wasn't interested (no clue who the clubs were tbh). I do think if St Mirren were to offer him a deal he'd take it and I'm guessing they weren't one of the clubs who approached us to speak to him previously.

For our sake I hope the compensation puts the Buddies off but I don't have a clue of their current financial position.

Here's a wee copy and paste of the bit where he speaks about being approached by clubs:

"There's been nothing that turned our heads enough for us to want to follow it through.

"The Chairman and I have a very good relationship. We speak all the time and are honest with each other, which I think is the biggest thing.

"A couple of clubs have approached and he's asked me, 'Do you want to speak to them?'. If it's a yes, it's a yes and I'll go and speak to them. But so far it's been a no. He's happy, I'm happy and we get on with things."

Why would he have to replace someone? Is there some limit to squad sizes I've not heard about.The current squad is pretty thin and lacks leadership. If he can get a handle on the discipline stuff I think the guy could be a welcome addition. I've always been impressed by him when he plays . In the middle of the park and we just might be the new start the guy needs.Did say I might be in a minority of one but who gives a stuff.

If he wasn't an absolute nutter on the pitch I'd have him in my team everyday. Problem is 95% of the time he is in full Ted Bundy mode or suspended.

His league record at Alloa isn't much better than that, 6 wins in 29 matches (and two of those against last year's rank rotten Morton team). If St.Mirren were to appoint him I think it would be almost entirely on the back of us beating Rangers last week. That was a tremendous achievement and the strong performances in the other games against them and against Hibs and Hearts have been Barry's best days with Alloa. That has made up for the team under performing against sides at a similar level to us, resulting in us almost landing in the relegation play-offs last season despite being miles clear of them when Hartley left and only being a point above them at the moment.

I would be sorry to lose him because the upheaval wouldn't be good for the club but overall I'm still not entirely sure just how good a manager he is. He certainly hasn't done enough IMO to justify a move back to the top flight. If anybody had asked me this time last year was it worth their Premier League club taking a punt on Hartley I'd have said they'd be mad not to. I couldn't say that about Barry Smith - at the moment anyway. Ian Murray is the outstanding part-time candidate if that's the criteria St.Mirren are looking at.

That's interesting - I had assumed Smith's record at Alloa was significantly better than that.

I agree on Murray. He'd be my choice if our BoD would see their way to forking out the £10K compensation to the Sons.

Murray still has over a year and a half left on his contract, which I'm led to believe is a decent one for a part time gaffer. We'd be looking for decent compo if St Mirren were to come in for him. I'm guessing they paid off Craig so realisticly would they be in a position to pay for Murray?

On another note, Murray recently stated that in his time with us a couple of clubs have approached us to speak to him but he wasn't interested (no clue who the clubs were tbh). I do think if St Mirren were to offer him a deal he'd take it and I'm guessing they weren't one of the clubs who approached us to speak to him previously.

For our sake I hope the compensation puts the Buddies off but I don't have a clue of their current financial position.

Here's a wee copy and paste of the bit where he speaks about being approached by clubs:

"There's been nothing that turned our heads enough for us to want to follow it through.

"The Chairman and I have a very good relationship. We speak all the time and are honest with each other, which I think is the biggest thing.

"A couple of clubs have approached and he's asked me, 'Do you want to speak to them?'. If it's a yes, it's a yes and I'll go and speak to them. But so far it's been a no. He's happy, I'm happy and we get on with things."

Only £10K compensation, apparently (apologies for repeating myself, I'd quoted a previous post above).

While our BoD are parsimonious, they did sanction £35K to bring in Dougie Imrie, so anything is possible....

That's interesting - I had assumed Smith's record at Alloa was significantly better than that.

His record is pretty poor tbh. If it wasn't for QoS last gasp goal at Cowdenbeath we would have been relegated.

Could be bull but friend of mine told me Murray's happy with part time as means can spend time with family easily and manage a team. Has it ever been confirmed that he had applied for a bigger job? Seems in no rush at all.

His record is pretty poor tbh. If it wasn't for QoS last gasp goal at Cowdenbeath we would have been relegated.

Aye, I'm not sure why so many Saints supporters seem to be whoring him. He wouldn't be in my top 5, to be honest.

Could be bull but friend of mine told me Murray's happy with part time as means can spend time with family easily and manage a team. Has it ever been confirmed that he had applied for a bigger job? Seems in no rush at all.

I'd be surprised if he didn't fancy a shot at top league football. He'll be casting an eye over the likes of Hartley and Neil and thinking, I could do that....

ETA: of course, we are still a good bet for relegation, so he might not fancy this particular punt.

Drooper, on 09 Dec 2014 - 21:38, said:

I'd be surprised if he didn't fancy a shot at top league football. He'll be casting an eye over the likes of Hartley and Neil and thinking, I could do that....

Only problem I can foresee with Murray is that he can't sort his defence and he's had more than 2 seasons. That being said, I'd want us to be looking at him if Hartley left.

Only problem I can foresee with Murray is that he can't sort his defence and he's had more than 2 seasons. That being said, I'd want us to be looking at him if Hartley left.

For me, we need someone to come in who doesn't have baggage with the club. A fresh set of eyes on a man who isn't enmeshed in the dressing room culture.

Much as Thompson is a sexy beast n'all :wub: I wouldn't be looking for him to get the gig just now. The players need a manager, not a mate (or an auld fud with the social skills of a sewer rat, to be fair).

I imagine being part-time hinders your ability to recruit players tbh

RandomGuy., on 09 Dec 2014 - 22:07, said:

I imagine being part-time hinders your ability to recruit players tbh

Undoubtedly. But Dumbarton have conceded 31 goals this season, averages a touch over 2 goals conceded per game, Only Cowdenbeath has a worse record and it's not as if Dumbarton are playing a baws out, all out attacking style as they are also the lowest scorers in the league with 14. Less than a goal a game. Last season they had 64 goals put past them. Only Morton and Cowdenbeath again had worse records and lets remember, Morton had to get 10 put past them on the final day to overtake Dumbarton.

Archived