The Next St. Mirren Manager....

You pays your money and you takes your choice...  

450 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

St. Mirren are coming across as a total mickey mouse outfit in all of this. Cowdenbeath are not asking for 'silly money' but merely reasonable compensation that would be due. It would be more professional and courteous to speak to the club rather than via the media. Act like a SPL rather than a pub team.

Where exactly are St. Mirren speaking through the media and what is the compensation Cowdenbeath are asking for?

If you could provide some links I would appreciate it as I think I'm missing something here.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where exactly are St. Mirren speaking through the media and what is the compensation Cowdenbeath are asking for?

If you could provide some links I would appreciate it as I think I'm missing something here.

Exactly.

Good luck to Danny Lennon if he goes. What he has achieved at Central Park in just two years has been remarkable and is easily up there with Craig Levein and Mixu Paatelainen. Fantastic eye for a player, excellent man manager, top class coach and a total gent. Hope he is still at Cowden next season but best wishes if he goes.

St. Mirren are coming across as a total mickey mouse outfit in all of this. Cowdenbeath are not asking for 'silly money' but merely reasonable compensation that would be due. It would be more professional and courteous to speak to the club rather than via the media. Act like a SPL rather than a pub team.

Do you think he was interviewed without the knowledge of the Cowdenbeath BOD? no chance Saints have done everything by the book and it's all wild speculation about the compensation. for people to start moaning about not paying up the remaining three months of his contract when the club haven't even made a statement about

their approach is frankly stupid.

Do you think he was interviewed without the knowledge of the Cowdenbeath BOD? no chance Saints have done everything by the book and it's all wild speculation about the compensation. for people to start moaning about not paying up the remaining three months of his contract when the club haven't even made a statement about

their approach is frankly stupid.

Never mentioned anything about interviewing without the knowledge of the club.

Club A ask Club B "Can we speak to your manager about our vacancy"

Club B tell Club A "Yes, and here is the figure to buy out his contract"

Club A interviews the manager.

Club A source then lets it be known to the media that they are not willing to pay any compensation even though they knew the figure before carrying out the interview. Club A do not have the courtesy of speaking to Club B re compensation.

Club A = Pub team ;)

Club A source then lets it be known to the media that they are not willing to pay any compensation even though they knew the figure before carrying out the interview. Club A do not have the courtesy of speaking to Club B re compensation.

Club A = Pub team ;)

So you haven't got any links then, just some paranoid ramblings?

Club A = Pub team wink.gif

Nobody knows as yet.You talk like we are scrambling about to compensate Fergie.His contract is up in September!!!!(£4K)

I still hope club B pumps Dunfermline(cheats)

Club A = Pub team wink.gif

Very poor fishing trip.dry.gif

Club A = Pub team ;)

You did mention that the club were conducting their business through the media though. And apart from your fictitious ramblings you haven't managed to back up this claim. <_<

Sooooo try harder. :)

bring back victor ! knowing you lot meldrew would get the job :D

FFS - what have you been told about posting while hammered? <_<

Anyhoo....

Jim Spence is quite clearly a twonk, so we should take anything he says with the proverbial. I don't like to think of my club shafting a smaller club, as we are the first to greet about this type of thing when it happens to us. All the chest-pounding, I don't give a fuck about anyone else stuff is a bit too OF-esque for my liking. A little bit of respect doesn't hurt, not least as (as has been pointed out) Cowdenbeath took a punt on the guy and he cut his teeth there.

The flip side of this is that Cowdenbeath have clearly benefitted from Lennon's input, and the guy is surely due the opportunity to progress his career. They shouldn't stand in his way, as it was probably inevitable that he'd be moving on sooner rather than later. If they are asking for his contract to be paid off, and that is pretty much it, then that seems reasonable to me. If they're looking for more besides, then they are putting obstacles in the way of an ambitious young manager looking to advance his career, and that is poor IMO.

The long and short of it is that we know hee haw, aside from the fact that Lennon was at SMP at the end of the week, and there might be an offer of appointment on the table. If this gets messy, it is not inconceivable that Lennon will walk away. He might well have a sense of loyalty towards Cowdenbeath given what he's achieved there, and would, perhaps, be less than impressed by a club coming in and playing hardball over a few £K.

I'm sure all will become clearer over the next day or so. Until then, I suggest we don't indulge in too much sniping as someone is bound to end up with egg on his face ;)

Christ, it has just occured to me that I'm posting on P&B at half 8 on a Sunday morning :(

My missus and daughter were up at the crack of dawn as they're running the Race for Life in Glasgow, so there was no hope of a lie-in for old drooper :bairn

On that note, best of luck to anyone you know who is taking part in the run today :)

FFS - what have you been told about posting while hammered? <_<

Anyhoo....

Jim Spence is quite clearly a twonk, so we should take anything he says with the proverbial. I don't like to think of my club shafting a smaller club, as we are the first to greet about this type of thing when it happens to us. All the chest-pounding, I don't give a f**k about anyone else stuff is a bit too OF-esque for my liking. A little bit of respect doesn't hurt, not least as (as has been pointed out) Cowdenbeath took a punt on the guy and he cut his teeth there.

The flip side of this is that Cowdenbeath have clearly benefitted from Lennon's input, and the guy is surely due the opportunity to progress his career. They shouldn't stand in his way, as it was probably inevitable that he'd be moving on sooner rather than later. If they are asking for his contract to be paid off, and that is pretty much it, then that seems reasonable to me. If they're looking for more besides, then they are putting obstacles in the way of an ambitious young manager looking to advance his career, and that is poor IMO.

The long and short of it is that we know hee haw, aside from the fact that Lennon was at SMP at the end of the week, and there might be an offer of appointment on the table. If this gets messy, it is not inconceivable that Lennon will walk away. He might well have a sense of loyalty towards Cowdenbeath given what he's achieved there, and would, perhaps, be less than impressed by a club coming in and playing hardball over a few £K.

I'm sure all will become clearer over the next day or so. Until then, I suggest we don't indulge in too much sniping as someone is bound to end up with egg on his face ;)

Christ, it has just occured to me that I'm posting on P&B at half 8 on a Sunday morning :(

My missus and daughter were up at the crack of dawn as they're running the Race for Life in Glasgow, so there was no hope of a lie-in for old drooper :bairn

On that note, best of luck to anyone you know who is taking part in the run today :)

You are right though. Cowdenbeath will be compensated for losing him. But it will be the remainder of his current contract they will get. I'm sure they want more than that as they are skint. But that's not St.Mirrens fault.

And there s absolutely no leaking coming out of the club either. Go to B&W Army and see how much leaked news there is. f**k all. A few guys making educated guesses and thats about it.

I still haven't got a clue if Lennon will be a decent manager. He is a massive gamble but if he HAS been offered the job then he must have impressed enough to be offered it. Either than or the other guys in the frame didn't want the job <_< That's something I doubt we will find out in the short term.

The lack of info coming out the club about this has been quite impressive really in this day and age.

Hopefully if Lennon is the man then we can offer Cowdenbeath loan players or whatever to help them a bit? Who knows. I wouldn't like to see things ending up bitter with them. I'm sure it won't though.

You are right though. Cowdenbeath will be compensated for losing him. But it will be the remainder of his current contract they will get. I'm sure they want more than that as they are skint. But that's not St.Mirrens fault.

And there s absolutely no leaking coming out of the club either. Go to B&W Army and see how much leaked news there is. f**k all. A few guys making educated guesses and thats about it.

I still haven't got a clue if Lennon will be a decent manager. He is a massive gamble but if he HAS been offered the job then he must have impressed enough to be offered it. Either than or the other guys in the frame didn't want the job <_< That's something I doubt we will find out in the short term.

The lack of info coming out the club about this has been quite impressive really in this day and age.

Hopefully if Lennon is the man then we can offer Cowdenbeath loan players or whatever to help them a bit? Who knows. I wouldn't like to see things ending up bitter with them. I'm sure it won't though.

Aye, let's hope it can be sorted out in a civilised manner.

Like you, I've no idea what to think about this apointment. One thing is for sure, though, and that is the fact that Lennon will be familiar with having to work with scarce resources.

A few months ago before the season ended, I posted somewhere that I felt we should bite the bullet and look at younger players and the lower leagues for decent prospects, as opposed to paying relatively high wages to mediocre journeymen, or players who are very much in the twilight of their careers.

Scottish football is pretty shite when all is said and done, and I'm pretty scunnered with the dross that we have been subjected to week in week out, but I like the idea of going to a match and watching a young player or two being given more than 5 minutes at the end to show us what he can do. My expectation levels in this regard are realisitc enough, but I suspect all clubs will have to make some radical changes in the coming years (hopefully the administrative bodies will do likewise), so there is nothing to suggest that we wouldn't be able to compete.

If Lennon has some fresh ideas, and, as has been reported, has an eye for a decent player, then I'm happy enough to wait and see how things pan out. For those looking to slate the appointment before a contract has even been signed....well that's some St Mirren supporters for you :rolleyes:

Like you, I've no idea what to think about this apointment. One thing is for sure, though, and that is the fact that Lennon will be familiar with having to work with scarce resources.

A few months ago before the season ended, I posted somewhere that I felt we should bite the bullet and look at younger players and the lower leagues for decent prospects, as opposed to paying relatively high wages to mediocre journeymen, or players who are very much in the twilight of their careers.

Scottish football is pretty shite when all is said and done, and I'm pretty scunnered with the dross that we have been subjected to week in week out, but I like the idea of going to a match and watching a young player or two being given more than 5 minutes at the end to show us what he can do. My expectation levels in this regard are realisitc enough, but I suspect all clubs will have to make some radical changes in the coming years (hopefully the administrative bodies will do likewise), so there is nothing to suggest that we wouldn't be able to compete.

If Lennon has some fresh ideas, and, as has been reported, has an eye for a decent player, then I'm happy enough to wait and see how things pan out. For those looking to slate the appointment before a contract has even been signed....well that's some St Mirren supporters for you :rolleyes:

I knew that he had back to back promotions with Cowdenbeath but thats about it. And that is still impressive considering the state that club have been in.

I'm sure most St.Mirren fans are realistic enough to know the score too. We want to stay in the SPL and have the odd random good season in it. We have managed to stay up under Gus but it was hard going to watch his teams most of the time. When he did allow the players to express themselves we looked a reasonable side. But thats his time finished now.

I'd like to find out a bit more about Lernnon if he does get the job. Hopefully some of the Cowdenbeath fans can refrain from the normal yah boo stuff and let us know what type of manager he will be. If he turns up in Paisley of course! :P

Certainly worked for Levein at Hearts and Dundee United. He unearthed the likes of Swanson, Webster and Gomis to name but three. If you are prepared to scratch beneath the surface a bit and persevere then there are some gems to be found down there. It's easy to forget that we unearthed gems like McAvennie, Lex Richardson, Tommy Wilson etc from the lower reaches. Not saying of course that is going to happen again but it's easy to dismiss lower league players as talentless cloggers.

Certainly worked for Levein at Hearts and Dundee United. He unearthed the likes of Swanson, Webster and Gomis to name but three. If you are prepared to scratch beneath the surface a bit and persevere then there are some gems to be found down there. It's easy to forget that we unearthed gems like McAvennie, Lex Richardson, Tommy Wilson etc from the lower reaches. Not saying of course that is going to happen again but it's easy to dismiss lower league players as talentless cloggers.

If Gus had trawled the lower leagues for that type of player he would of been torn to shreds, McDowall, Balmer, McStay.......Lennon doing so is being seen as perfectly acceptable. I despair. :(

Absolutely.

Just look at Conway. He was outstanding in the second half of the cup final. It's all about being able to spot a decent player. Ultimately, Gus didn't demonstrate this attribute. I think we got lucky with Dorman, and the signings of Wyness and Johnston pretty much summed up his signing policy in the latter years.

I suppose for every dud, it could be argued that Gus brought in a Ross and Gallagher, but that doesn't count as unearthing lower league talent. We need a guy with an eye for that.

My hope is that Lennon already has a few players in mind. We need a replacement for Billy, and those are big boots to fill IMO. He might not have been a prolific goalscorer, but he brought a huge amount to the team. I've read somewhere that Lennon likes to play with two wide players, so hopefully that could go some way towards bringing Higdon more into things. Defensively, we weren't looking too bad towards the end of the season, so it will be interesting to see how a new manager changes things around there.

I'm just glad that it now looks as though we've brought someone in. The new manager will have a challenge on his hands, but I'm looking forward to a few changes in style and approach.

Archived