The Next St. Mirren Manager....

You pays your money and you takes your choice...  

450 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Odd since I understood he was abroad on a fortnight's holiday until Thursday 3rd June.

Don't doubt he was to be honest. What is clear is he was interviewed yesterday whether he gets the job remains to be seen.I very much doubt Saints have money for compensation when the clubs playing budget is going to be cut.

Roll on Monday as it's extremely frustrating reading who is getting the job and who is not.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BBC now saying we have had talks

Like the rest of the candidates, he'd be a risk but he has shown he has managerial ability. Not sure how much comp we'd have to pay, though.

I'd be happy with Lennon.

Eta: Maybe he'll bring big Joe Mbu with him ph34r.gif

Don't doubt he was to be honest. What is clear is he was interviewed yesterday whether he gets the job remains to be seen.I very much doubt Saints have money for compensation when the clubs playing budget is going to be cut.

Roll on Monday as it's extremely frustrating reading who is getting the job and who is not.

:lol:

Aye, and it's mainly you that's been posting the stuff. :P

We could do alot worse than Danny Lennnon, he would be a gamble certainly, but who out of the realistic candidates wouldn't be?

He's taken Cowdenbeath from 3rd division obscurity to the first within 2 years with next to no resources. So the budget we'll have will be huge compared to what he's already had success with.

As for compensation, i'd imagine we'd get him for next to nothing given Cowdenbeaths financial problems.

Come on SG get the finger out and get him or SOMEONE signed up .

We could do alot worse than Danny Lennnon, he would be a gamble certainly, but who out of the realistic candidates wouldn't be?

He's taken Cowdenbeath from 3rd division obscurity to the first within 2 years with next to no resources. So the budget we'll have will be huge compared to what he's already had success with.

As for compensation, i'd imagine we'd get him for next to nothing given Cowdenbeaths financial problems.

That's unfair. He's taking his time to get the right man for the club and has already said there could be an announcement early next week wink.gif

The board may have given McStay a bit more time as he is obviously waiting to see if he's still got a job at Parkhead in the light of lennon's appointment. if that is what's happening can't say i'm too happy about it we shouldn't be pissing about waiting on anyone.

Lennon would logically be a good choice for Saint Mirren (though lower league successes don't always transfer) and would be ideal surely for Lennon. Cowden will get baw-humped in the First in their financial nick and sheer lack of resources. Back-to-back, unexpected promotions is an excellent place to break off the CV before they get relegated on 20 points or less.

Thought the whole point of bagging Gus was to move towards restructuring our youth set up and relying heavily on home grown talent.

Unless I am missing something, Lennon doesn't exactly tick the boxes in that respect.

Lennon would logically be a good choice for Saint Mirren (though lower league successes don't always transfer) and would be ideal surely for Lennon. Cowden will get baw-humped in the First in their financial nick and sheer lack of resources. Back-to-back, unexpected promotions is an excellent place to break off the CV before they get relegated on 20 points or less.

All of the final four candidates are very much a risk to be honest but at least Lennon is currently in management at the moment, and has had decent success with very limited resources that is something that the board will be looking at very closely given the current state of finances.

Thought the whole point of bagging Gus was to move towards restructuring our youth set up and relying heavily on home grown talent.

Unless I am missing something, Lennon doesn't exactly tick the boxes in that respect.

I'm past the point of trying to second guess what the BoD are up to at St Mirren Park.

To be fair, they've never actually come out and clarified what they mean by taking a new direction. Like most others, I've assumed it is looking to bring players through, but that is a medium to long term plan, and, as they don't intend being around for too much longer, that doesn't add up in some respects. That said, they've invested in Ralston, so I fully expect they intend to capitalise on that as long as they are around, and would like that to be part of their legacy also.

Increasingly, I'm thinking that the whole 'change of direction' line was merely shorthand for saying that the time had come to bag Gus. If McStay is stalling, then I can't see the BoD holding out too long, and I wouldn't want them too.

I've binned any fantasy about significant changes off the field now, so I just hope whoever they appoint is given support to build a decent squad - hopefully with a few young players.

Just thinking, Cowdenbeath seems to be a good place for up and coming managers to learn their trade. They've had Levein and Mixu, and now Lennon could become an SPL boss.

Hope whoever we're getting is sorted out on Monday.

I'm past the point of trying to second guess what the BoD are up to at St Mirren Park.

To be fair, they've never actually come out and clarified what they mean by taking a new direction. Like most others, I've assumed it is looking to bring players through, but that is a medium to long term plan, and, as they don't intend being around for too much longer, that doesn't add up in some respects. That said, they've invested in Ralston, so I fully expect they intend to capitalise on that as long as they are around, and would like that to be part of their legacy also.

Increasingly, I'm thinking that the whole 'change of direction' line was merely shorthand for saying that the time had come to bag Gus. If McStay is stalling, then I can't see the BoD holding out too long, and I wouldn't want them too.

I've binned any fantasy about significant changes off the field now, so I just hope whoever they appoint is given support to build a decent squad - hopefully with a few young players.

Spot on wink.gif

There is something else that occurs to me that might be worth adding.

I met Gus just as the building work on new stadium was kicking off. It was a shitty wet day, and I was asking hinm how he was getting on with finding decent places to train. He told me that this was his biggest issue with the club - having to train amongst broken glass and dog shite in public parks and the likes.

Gus claimed that the absence of decent training facilities was also a disincentive to players looking to sign-on or come to the club on loan (he highlighted the fact that clubs down south, in particular, weren't willing to let their young lads come up to train with next to no facilities in place).

I suspect that Gus made a big play of this to the BoD, and they therefore expected to see more tangible progress once we had Ralston up and running. Whether Gus was afforded sufficient time to realise any benefit from the complex being in place is moot, but I suspect the BoD were looking, at least, for a plan from him as to how to take things forward.

I genuinely believe that Gus didn't have the imagination as to how to develop the grass-roots side of things at the club - hence his signing of players such as Alan Johnston, and the notable absence of young lads from our match-day squads. The final nail for him could well have been the naming of only 6 subs - to my mind, a less than subtle dig at the BoD - despite him having a few young lads to choose from. He might have got away with that if the training facilities issue was still unresolved, but I reckon he miscalculated there.

Yup heard Lennon's been offered a 2 year deal apparently and he wants to have the weekend to consider it and he will make a decision on Monday.

Good ambitous appointment from the board if he says yes ( which i'm sure he will ).

Archived