The Next St. Mirren Manager....

You pays your money and you takes your choice...  

450 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You have said you dont want a rookie manager but then go on to say you want Kenny McDowall. He may have coaching experience but he is still classed as a rookie manager. The only difference between Hartson and McDowall is that McDowall has been working with the younger teams. Who is to say Hartson would take us down. He has worked under some great managers and has no doubt learned a lot of tricks from them.

Hartson has no experience of management at any level and for the old firm loving newspapers to suggest he cuts his teeth with an SPL team is quite frankly laughable. Kenny McDowall has gained valuable experience working with both Wattie Smith and O'Neil at Celtic imo he's ready to go it alone.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the board, or anyone else on here, seriously think that Hartson could do a better job than MacPherson then they are clearly not the sharpest knife in the drawer. If the ginger welsh clown was to take up the hotseat then I doubt I would go to a single game.

Socky Jot is yer man

Ah f**k. I forgot that this gimp will be back in the SPL forum next season. At least he will be here if things are going relatively well. If it goes horribly wrong he will be back to being baw deep in his flock. and therefore offline.

If the board, or anyone else on here, seriously think that Hartson could do a better job than MacPherson then they are clearly not the sharpest knife in the drawer. If the ginger welsh clown was to take up the hotseat then I doubt I would go to a single game.

I really don't understand that. My love for St. Mirren is unconditional. No matter if the board (or any manager for that matter) made decisions i didn't like. Hell, we could sign Tokely and Grady and i'd still go and watch them. Maybe it's just the way i am.

So if Hartson came and did well you wouldn't come and watch Saints? Did you not boycott St. Mirren under Gus anyway because Mo Camara was still there?

Anyway, doubt anyone will be too worried, your record for keeping up a boycott is pretty shit.

I really don't understand that. My love for St. Mirren is unconditional. No matter if the board (or any manager for that matter) made decisions i didn't like.

It is because I am a fan that I would be so frustrated at Hartson coming in. It's like the board are taking the piss, and the media are bigging it up because he's an ex-OF player and would provide an angle for the red tops to write pieces on. But ultimately appointing someone like him would be like re-appointing Davie Hay and we would be stuck in the 1st for another 2 decades.

So if Hartson came and did well you wouldn't come and watch Saints?

Is that the only option; "did well"? What if he was brought in and he was a Barnes-esque unmitigated failure. At what point would you say "that was a bad decision"?

Did you not boycott St. Mirren under Gus anyway because Mo Camara was still there?

And I was totally right to not pay to watch Camara, he was a stinkingly bad player. Gus stuck with him for far too long despite being at fault numerous times. I couldn't watch the team with such an obvious flaw in our defence, raising hope with Camara on the field felt like a Sisyphean task.

Anyway, doubt anyone will be too worried, your record for keeping up a boycott is pretty shit.

I don't give a f**k what anyone thinks to be honest. If I told you to jump in the Clyde would you? Of course not, so if I decide not to give money to a club who hire a clown as a manager then I wouldn't expect anyone else to do the same on my account.

I like big Hartson, superb player in his day and comes across really well, but worry about his lack of coaching experience.

If has coaching badges, I'd happily see BBJ at us as a coach couldn't make us any worse up front than we already are.

As a gaffer though? Probably not, though I'd rather take a chance on him than a tried and tested failure like John Robertson who was also quoted in the article.

If has coaching badges, I'd happily see BBJ at us as a coach couldn't make us any worse up front than we already are.

As a gaffer though? Probably not, though I'd rather take a chance on him than a tried and tested failure like John Robertson who was also quoted in the article.

Robertson huh.gif dear God no names like him frighten the life out of me.

I'd like Jack Ross player/manager with John Robertson as assistant. Jack has a good footballing brain and has his coaching badges. Robertson would help getting us goals and experience would help Jack along the way. It would be a cheap option that we should try for the first few months of the season to see how it goes.

It is because I am a fan that I would be so frustrated at Hartson coming in. It's like the board are taking the piss, and the media are bigging it up because he's an ex-OF player and would provide an angle for the red tops to write pieces on. But ultimately appointing someone like him would be like re-appointing Davie Hay and we would be stuck in the 1st for another 2 decades.

Is that the only option; "did well"? What if he was brought in and he was a Barnes-esque unmitigated failure. At what point would you say "that was a bad decision"?

And I was totally right to not pay to watch Camara, he was a stinkingly bad player. Gus stuck with him for far too long despite being at fault numerous times. I couldn't watch the team with such an obvious flaw in our defence, raising hope with Camara on the field felt like a Sisyphean task.

I don't give a f**k what anyone thinks to be honest. If I told you to jump in the Clyde would you? Of course not, so if I decide not to give money to a club who hire a clown as a manager then I wouldn't expect anyone else to do the same on my account.

What the f**k has a "Barnes-esque unmitigated failure" got to do with you not going to see Saints if Hartson was appointed and did well? If it was a "Barnes-esque unmitigated failure" then you could do what you like, just as you could if Hartson was a massive sucess. I just asked you will stay away if Hartson came in and did well. It wasn't a difficult question to understand so I'm surprised that somebody who thinks he's as clever as you do has had such a terribly difficult time answering it.

As for the rambling nonsense about jumping in the Clyde, why would you tell me to jump in the Clyde, and who is not going to give money to the club on your account?

What the f**k has a "Barnes-esque unmitigated failure" got to do with you not going to see Saints if Hartson was appointed and did well?

It was the antithesis of your question. You asked whether I would be happy if Hartson came in and did well. I merely replied asking if you would be happy to see him make an arse of himself. I think it was entirely clear why I made that point.

To answer your question though, I believe appointing Hartson would be a complete mistake and would ensure we were relegated. I would take a May/Pressley combo before I would Hartson. However would I "boycott" it from the start of his (or any other manager's) reign? No, not at all, I would of course give him the opportunity to prove himself despite feeling it would end in tears.

As for the rambling nonsense about jumping in the Clyde, why would you tell me to jump in the Clyde, and who is not going to give money to the club on your account?

You edited your post to suggest that people wouldn't be worried, I was simply stating I don't care whether people were or weren't, plus nobody is going to do whatever I do just because I did it.

I'd like Jack Ross player/manager with John Robertson as assistant. Jack has a good footballing brain and has his coaching badges. Robertson would help getting us goals and experience would help Jack along the way. It would be a cheap option that we should try for the first few months of the season to see how it goes.

Gilmour while still at the helm is more likely to chase Jack Ross out the door after the bonus fiasco let alone appoint him player manager.laugh.gif

Gilmour while still at the helm is more likely to chase Jack Ross out the door after the bonus fiasco let alone appoint him player manager.laugh.gif

The point is Gilmour won't be here for too long. Although Ross' contract expires on July 1st. Hopefully we'll have a new owner by then.

It was the antithesis of your question. You asked whether I would be happy if Hartson came in and did well. I merely replied asking if you would be happy to see him make an arse of himself. I think it was entirely clear why I made that point.

To answer your question though, I believe appointing Hartson would be a complete mistake and would ensure we were relegated. I would take a May/Pressley combo before I would Hartson. However would I "boycott" it from the start of his (or any other manager's) reign? No, not at all, I would of course give him the opportunity to prove himself despite feeling it would end in tears.

You edited your post to suggest that people wouldn't be worried, I was simply stating I don't care whether people were or weren't, plus nobody is going to do whatever I do just because I did it.

Fair enough, that wasn't so hard was it? For what it's worth I don't fancy Hartson much as a manger either and haven't been particularly impressed with any of the other candidates so far.

I reckon it's going to be a Hartson or a McDowall or somebody like that though. The "experienced" managers we seem to be being linked with are just failures with a nicer name. The only way we will probably progress beyond what we were producing under Gus (which would be the only reason to sack him) is to take a punt on an unproven manager and hope it works out. Risky strategy if you ask me, but at least it's going to be interesting.

The point is Gilmour won't be here for too long. Although Ross' contract expires on July 1st. Hopefully we'll have a new owner by then.

I hope your correct about Gimour as all the info coming out of the club seems to suggest he's lost the plot.

I'm not so sure there is a new owner waiting in the wings so the next couple of weeks will prove interesting.

The only way we will probably progress beyond what we were producing under Gus (which would be the only reason to sack him) is to take a punt on an unproven manager and hope it works out. Risky strategy if you ask me, but at least it's going to be interesting.

I'm not so sure to be honest, there are a few options out there who have been a success to a certain degree Mixu for example did well at Cowdenbeath and TPS and I thought he was unlucky at Hibs.

Thing about Hartson is the complete lack of respect it shows. He's been slutting himself all over the place and with the old firm connection the media seem to think he's a shoe-in, as if all us diddy club supporters should be cock-a-hoop at such an "illustrious star" being linked with our insignificant club.

I'm not so sure to be honest, there are a few options out there who have been a success to a certain degree Mixu for example did well at Cowdenbeath and TPS and I thought he was unlucky at Hibs.

Thing about Hartson is the complete lack of respect it shows. He's been slutting himself all over the place and with the old firm connection the media seem to think he's a shoe-in, as if all us diddy club supporters should be cock-a-hoop at such an "illustrious star" being linked with our insignificant club.

Mixu could do alright, although again unproven at SPL level apart from a bad time at Hibs. Maybe he was unlucky but he signed a lot of poor players for that team. He would still be a gamble as far as I'm concerned.

I think you are being over-sensitive regarding the Hartson thing. The media don't think he is a shoe in. He has used his own media status to punt himself about, yes, but I'd be surprised if he got the job and I'm sure most of his pals in the media would be as well. Plenty of non-old firm media faces have done the same as well btw.

I'd prefer John Potter as player manager than jack Ross.

Archived