Arnold Clark Horror Stories

I'd forgotten about this thread.

In the interests of fairness, though I've never been a fan of Arnold Clark by reputation and wouldn't have chosen to deal with them I feel I should report that they were pretty decent when my wife's car developed a problem a few months back.

Engine management light came on and it went to Clark's because they had taken over the Ford dealership since it was bought. They did misdiagnose the problem a couple of times first but they did eventually get to the bottom of it and worked out what it was. They also honoured a quote to fix the car despite the fact it actually took days longer than expected and necessitated an entire engine rebuild. They also offered a loan car if necessary because she needed a car to meet appointments with the kids, albeit we didn't take it, she just used my car and I operated on lifts for a few days.

I did however completely fall out with Ford over the situation which was clearly a manufacturing issue which they refused to contribute to in spite of that. There is a lot more to that story but it's not worth going into now. Suffice to say neither of us will be buying a Ford ever again. Gits!

I've bought three cars from them, a brand new Astra, a second hand Punto and recently a brand new Clio.

The Clio was fine, no problems with the car itself....but I ordered it in Feb and it was supposed to be delivered by mid-March, it arrived 3 weeks late and when I went to collect it had the wrong wheels on it..I ordered alloys from a brochure, it came with completely the wrong ones.

So back it went for a few days.

Then when I finally went to collect it, I noticed the finance agreement was wrong. I specifically asked for an HP agreement (it comes with the option to Voluntarily Terminate, very handy to avoid heavy negative equity) but they'd put it through as a personal loan.

I told them unless they had it sorted by the end of the day wasn't taking the car.

They got it sorted, but not what you want at all.

The new Astra was 8 or so years ago, no problems with sale but radio never worked properly (terrible AM reception) and despite having the car for 2 1/2 years before I Voluntarily Terminated, they never got it sorted, piss poor service and were just not prepared accept there was a problem.

The Punto was fine and very well priced, so no complaints there.

But overall that's not a good record so I've promised never to go back. I traded my Clio in for a manlier car in October and went to Evans Halshaw and to be honest they were pretty poor too, a few issues with the car after them insisting it had been thoroughly checked over before being put on the forecourt. The CD player wasn't working, so couldn't have been that thoroughly checked over.

The trouble is, you really have very little choice when it comes to buying a car in Scotland, it's Arnold Clark or nothing really, unless you really look hard.

I'm talking about buying a car at a decent price with finance options available etc.

Big car companies work on volume bonus they will go to the manufacturer and screw them to the floor on price because they will buy x amount o thousand cars every year.lots of people who work for large companies get treated like shit so don't give a f**k about up holding the good company name.

The trouble is, you really have very little choice when it comes to buying a car in Scotland, it's Arnold Clark or nothing really, unless you really look hard.

I'm talking about buying a car at a decent price with finance options available etc.

Was gonnae say the same thing. Where else are you gonnae buy a car?

Privately comes with too many potential problems with little come back.

Other dealers are just as bad as you said about Evans Halshaw.

I've had 3 cars from Arnold, 2 puntos and a 2nd hand Astra that i'm told was a mobility car.

As far as the cars go i'm happy it's the servicing and MOT that i don't trust them with so they don't get to do it anymore.

1 of my mates is a mechanic with them and told me the score so that was that, not that many garages are to be trusted.

It's hard to find them these days but a a smaller franchise often family run are the best for buying a car cos these guys live and die by a good reputation and the repeat business. These days it is all car super markets and giant companies like Arnold Clark and Evans halshaw

I've had my Astra from them for just over a year and the only issue I've had is that even though I took an extra years warranty with them, if I actually want them to look at a problem I have to cough up 80 odd quid as an "diagnostic charge" which they'll then claiom back for me if the decide that the problem is under warranty. Which they won't.

I just take the motor to my usual mechanic for anything now.

you can buy an OBD checker for 25 quid.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we've bought probably half a dozen cars from them in the last 10 years and never had a problem.

You just need to what to look for and the questions to ask.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we've bought probably half a dozen cars from them in the last 10 years and never had a problem.

You just need to what to look for and the questions to ask.

True when buying a 2nd hand car, but not a new one, which you would expect to be in perfect order and if not, for it to be repaired immediately. With Arnold's mob, they really aren't interested once you've paid your money.

I'll add my tuppenceworth. I bought a car from Arnold Clark and (naively) accepted a story about the carpet being wet because it had just been washed to get a stain out. It turned out out be due to water getting in and that's when the fun started, trying to get them to fix it.

I won't go into full detail but it looked like a carefully-rehearsed routine of evasion and lies. Eventually I gave up and got the fix done at my expense as it was costing too much for visits to garages and time off work, etc. This, of course, is what they are relying on. I was absolutely in the right but when I drove out of the garage with the faulty car I had no chance of getting it fixed.

I resolved not to buy from them again and to advise others to stay clear if they can.

Since starting this topic, I have bought two cars.

One was from a small independant in Edinburgh and one was a local private sale. The independant was excellent when it came to customer service,, everything that he said would get done to the car was done, Communications were top notch and would definetly recommend.

The private sale was also excellent, seller wsa very honest and I managed to pick up a cracking car for a really good price.

Between the two cars they have cost me £7.5k. Thats £7.5k which would have potentially went through Arnolds till if he hadnt lied and treated me like a piece of shit.

Its the only way to deal with him......take your business elsewhere.

Sir Arnold sent me a letter today with a promotional flyer in it about his 'Real Sale'. :lol:

Obviously, he has forgot that the last time I bought a car from him, his staff lied to me, acted incompetantly, used evasive tactics, broke promises, went about their business unprofessionally etc etc.

If there was ever a wasted stamp, it was the one that i recieved today :lol:

Sir Arnold sent me a letter today with a promotional flyer in it about his 'Real Sale'. :lol:

Obviously, he has forgot that the last time I bought a car from him, his staff lied to me, acted incompetantly, used evasive tactics, broke promises, went about their business unprofessionally etc etc.

If there was ever a wasted stamp, it was the one that i recieved today :lol:

I quite enjoyed the survey Ford sent me a month after I'd gotten nowhere with their Customer Care division and informed them in no uncertain terms that I'd never be buying another Ford again. It was asking me about my experience with Customer Care and if I was now happy with the resolution of my issue! :lol:

Yeah, right! I quite enjoyed filling it in to be honest. I doubt they care much but it amused me.

I quite enjoyed the survey Ford sent me a month after I'd gotten nowhere with their Customer Care division and informed them in no uncertain terms that I'd never be buying another Ford again. It was asking me about my experience with Customer Care and if I was now happy with the resolution of my issue! :lol:

Yeah, right! I quite enjoyed filling it in to be honest. I doubt they care much but it amused me.

Customer Care is paramount for the longevity of a business.

Maybe if Arnolds gang continue as they have, they might start to feel the pinch. Especially in the tough financially time which are ahead of us for the foreseeable future.

Customer Care is paramount for the longevity of a business.

Maybe if Arnolds gang continue as they have, they might start to feel the pinch. Especially in the tough financially time which are ahead of us for the foreseeable future.

Getting boring now, Honeyboy....

Your on your 3rd Arnold Clark car now and you've only now realised they are crap?

had to laugh a few months ago at work,one of my customers was buying materials as he was doing some work on Arnold Clarks holiday home in Dulnain Bridge(4 miles from my work)he said it was 4-5 th time he had done work on his house,said most jobs he sends bills out about 2-3 weeks after jobs done,with arnold clarks job he puts bill out same day,as hes scared incase he snuffs it and doesnt get payed lol :lol:

Daft question perhaps, but who comes recommended for their sales and after sales service?

I'm changing car this year - swithering between new and nearly new - and would like an option other than AC. I've had no major issues with them, but I like shopping around.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking a Golf, Civic, or possibly a Mazda3

Cheers

I stay close to Glasgow would would travel for decent service and the right car.

Edited by Drooper