Arnold Clark Horror Stories

Before I start, Arnold Clark do have a really good choice of cars and usually punt their cars out at decent prices but............

Beware, once you have signed for the car and paid the money they want absolutely nothing to do with you.

Today (after 14 months) I have finally gave up with them. The levels of customer service post sale have been absolutely horrific

Please share your stories of horror to try and cheer me up. It surely cant just be me that they have shafted.

Before I start, Arnold Clark do have a really good choice of cars and usually punt their cars out at decent prices but............

Beware, once you have signed for the car and paid the money they want absolutely nothing to do with you.

Today (after 14 months) I have finally gave up with them. The levels of customer service post sale have been absolutely horrific

Please share your stories of horror to try and cheer me up. It surely cant just be me that they have shafted.

How's the job going at Reg Vardy ?

Bought a car from them 2 years ago, within 2 months i had to replace the brake discs and pads front and back, my local mechanic described a lip on the rear discs as something he'd never seen before, i contacted Arnold Clark and they directed me to the warranty in which the brakes weren't included, so after spending alot of money on the repairs i still have a grudge on them. Haven't used them since as a result.

I was going to get a car from Arnold Clark a few years back and googled 'Arnold Clark'. One of the top results was a site dedicated to horror stories about them and there were literally thousands of them. Needless to say I didn't buy a car from them.

Bought my car from them two years ago and have never had any problems with the car or customer service. They will be the first place I will look when I am looking to change cars later on this year.

Edited by Once A Rover always a Rover

Bought my car from them two years ago and have never had any problems with the car or customer service. They will be the first place I will look when I am looking to change cars later on this year.

Yours Sincerely,

Mr. A. Clark

Arnold will have you earmarked for Salesman of the Month laugh.gif

Edited by honeyboy edwards

As you say, you have never had a problem with the car, so you really have never had to deal with their 'fantastic' customer service.

However, you can get a good deal price wise, so if you get lucky and get a good car, you will be ok. Majority of their newer second hand cars are ex hire/lease/company cars so ask to see the registration book to see who the previous owners were. Chances are they will not be able to show you it.

They don't get the name Arnold Shark for nothing!

Edited by stu20vt

I've been with them for 4 years now and I'm on my 2nd car, I've had no problems at all with them.

Sorry Mate

I've been with them for 4 years now and I'm on my 2nd car, I've had no problems at all with them.

Sorry Mate

To be honest, this is my 3rd car which I have purchased from them and the first two have been OK. In fact the car that I bought this time is also pretty good (Im pretty thourough when it comes to checking over cars), it just the post sales service which is completely useless with them.

I've had my Astra from them for just over a year and the only issue I've had is that even though I took an extra years warranty with them, if I actually want them to look at a problem I have to cough up 80 odd quid as an "diagnostic charge" which they'll then claiom back for me if the decide that the problem is under warranty. Which they won't.

I just take the motor to my usual mechanic for anything now.

There's a poster called Arnold Clark reading this!

Anyhoo, my old Alfa had to go in for its service at Perth to keep up it's full Alfa service history.

We need to replace the cambelt at the service says the sales person.

They had nearly started the job when I had noticed they had done it at the previous service.

Oh, aye, maybe not replies the sales person.

If I hadn't have noticed, they would have went ahead and done it anyway.

Dick Turpin wore a mask

He's went away, probably to sit on his throne made of bones to count his money.

One person can hold a grudge.

Two people can have a dislike.

When you have a few hundred folk spitting at the windows when you go past, there must be something in it.

I have read the posts on here, and would like to help, if you have a problem or a complaint please contact our Customer Services Dept on online.customer.services@arnoldclark.co.uk or customer.services@arnoldclark.co.uk we would like to help out if we can.

Regards

Alasdair

Customer Services

I did.

They phoned me up and told me that I was deluded and wrong. Not in those words, but not far off it.

My complaint was that I put my car in for a service and MOT. What they did was an MOT and service. Pedantic, I know, but if I put my car into my local mechanic he does a service, which picks up the faults, repairs them, then passes the MOT. With Arnold Clark they fail your MOT, charge you to fix the car until it's perfect, and then service the car. What's the point of the service if the car is working perfectly?

PLUS...

Put the car in with a faulty window (water had got in and ruined the electronics in the door). They said it was covered in the warrenty, but whilst looking at the window they somehow managed to find £300 worth of faults with the brakes. Now, I'm not an expert on cars, but I don't think the passenger door window and the brakes are near each other. And that was only six weeks after the had charged me a fortune to pass my MOT with perfect brakes.

The bloke from Arnold Clark didn't see anything wrong with this.