Arnold Clark Horror Stories

4 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Unfortunately yes - it may have changed since you did it, but I went to apply and it wouldn’t let me!

Hopefully at some point there will be a scotland version…

Write to them threatening the small claims court if you don't think you would be entitled to more than £5k you can do it yourself, my parents took VW to court.

VW appointed some big Edinburgh firm who in turn got a local guy who didn't review the case before the case was in front of the court so it was postponed and in the intervening period they settled, the legal costs must have been far larger that the settlement, and of course you'll be able to see what people have got from the class action guys but if you do it yourself you won't lose 25/30% to the lawyers.

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I sympathise. I had to use my wife's Fiat 500 for a couple of weeks recently. I am 6 foot 4 and 19 stone. Eye opening.

IDK, must be the extra couple of inches (insert Kenneth) cause I had a 500 as a daily driver for a couple of years no problem. However, I was just 5’11” then, although I was also a good 20+ stone.

Just now, TxRover said:

IDK, must be the extra couple of inches (insert Kenneth) cause I had a 500 as a daily driver for a couple of years no problem. However, I was just 5’11” then, although I was also a good 20+ stone.

What height are you now?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQb0q_i7drZL3bih5oSuZ4

• 5 months later...

Peter Vardy to close their car supermarkets in Glasgow and Dundee:

https://dailybusinessgroup.co.uk/2023/08/vardy-closing-showrooms-as-used-car-sales-slump/

They are blaming a lack of stock but a quick look at their website say they have in excess of 500 cars available. I reckon its more likely due to the hikes in interest rates and the (lack of) availability of finance. I reckon when all the recent (3/4 year old) PCP deals start maturing there's going to be a glut of cars coming back to the dealers, a shortage of buyers who are prepared to take them on finance and the recent price inflation reversing quite markedly. 

• 2 months later...

https://dailybusinessgroup.co.uk/2023/10/arnold-clark-family-receives-67m-in-dividends/amp/

I see the family are to get £67M between them this year. Even though the late Mr Clark inspired this thread he ‘only’ took dividends of a few £M each year. 

Every business is entitled to run at a profit but it strikes me the current custodians are grasping c***s. If you are contemplating buying a car off them, make sure you haggle an appropriate discount or you’ve only got yourself to blame for funding what I’d expect is their inevitably lavish lifestyle. 

And then there’s the whole other argument about furlough money. Makes Lady Mone of Mayfair look small time. 

Bought a car from Arnold Clark a couple of weeks ago. Drove it from the dealership to Hampden for Scotland v England game and it broke down on the way (half hour after getting it) there. Managed to get to Hampden, but broke down again on the way home and had to abandon the car on the outskirts of Glasgow overnight - I couldn't believe it! 

They rescued the car the next day and got it repaired within 48 hours. Its been fine since then, but breaking down half hour after driving away must be some kind of record

On 02/08/2023 at 10:06, alta-pete said:

Peter Vardy to close their car supermarkets in Glasgow and Dundee:

https://dailybusinessgroup.co.uk/2023/08/vardy-closing-showrooms-as-used-car-sales-slump/

They are blaming a lack of stock but a quick look at their website say they have in excess of 500 cars available. I reckon its more likely due to the hikes in interest rates and the (lack of) availability of finance. I reckon when all the recent (3/4 year old) PCP deals start maturing there's going to be a glut of cars coming back to the dealers, a shortage of buyers who are prepared to take them on finance and the recent price inflation reversing quite markedly. 

Tried to buy a car from heir Motherwell branch on Monday. Car was advertised as Full Service History but it hadnt had its cambelt changed which should have been done a year previously.I tried to negotiate a discount to factor this in and salesman(a complete p***k) would not budge an inch. He also said the 90 day warranty would cover cambelt failure, which it definitely wouldn't. I walked away and noticed they increased the price by £900 online overnight obviously to then offer a discount to next customer who spotted the error. Fuckers, hope they go to the wall.

12 hours ago, alta-pete said:

https://dailybusinessgroup.co.uk/2023/10/arnold-clark-family-receives-67m-in-dividends/amp/

I see the family are to get £67M between them this year. Even though the late Mr Clark inspired this thread he ‘only’ took dividends of a few £M each year. 

Every business is entitled to run at a profit but it strikes me the current custodians are grasping c***s. If you are contemplating buying a car off them, make sure you haggle an appropriate discount or you’ve only got yourself to blame for funding what I’d expect is their inevitably lavish lifestyle. 

And then there’s the whole other argument about furlough money. Makes Lady Mone of Mayfair look small time. 

There's that many of them, it'll probably just be like a small lottery win each. Except they get it every year.

I'm not sure what the furlough fuss is about though. If they had their staff on furlough, are they not entitled to it the same as everyone else?