Arnold Clark Horror Stories

I would never buy a car from them again but I certainly got a good deal when I sold one.  They're miles better than those We Buy Any Car wankers. 
Yes, I know I'd get more selling it privately but who the fuck has the time or can be bothered doing that these days?

I made £3k selling my car and paying the finance off.

We then went back to them a month later, traded in my partners car and bought a new bigger one between us.

No issues, that real deal has basically given us a service and MOT every year until the finance ends. I’ve had issues with them before, but if I’d gone elsewhere I was another £50 a month before including any service packages or extras.

• 2 months later...
Looks like they have lost the Toyota and Ford franchises for the west of Scotland. Not sure how this will work for those of us that have service agreements with them. 
They'll still be able to service to the manufacturer standards using genuine parts. Assuming these are through EMaC.

Similar thing happened with Peter Vardy when they stopped being a Vauxhall dealer, still gets serviced to the same standard.

Only pain might be for warranty work as they may not be able to do that anymore.

• 9 months later...
4 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

The ID documents retained by the firm are normally copies of passports and driver's licences.

I hope that's just misleading, and they mean "temporarily held" rather than "retained". Once the checks for which they are required are complete, there should be no requirement to continue to store such documents.

4 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

In recent years only used Arnold Clark for car hire (closest and cheapest anywhere around me), wonder if the breach includes that side of the business.

23 minutes ago, sugna said:

I hope that's just misleading, and they mean "temporarily held" rather than "retained". Once the checks for which they are required are complete, there should be no requirement to continue to store such documents.

They should have took a leaf out of AFG Nissan company. A few years back the company that I worked with bought 2 new vans and a car from AFG. When the boss from AFG went rogue and decided to empty the company bank account he at least had the good grace to delete all the company financial details at the same time. As there was then no records of any transactions, a heck of a lot of people ended up with vehicles that were unpaid for.

3 hours ago, sugna said:

I doubt it’s an error. In todays world, data is valuable. If you get information, you have an active incentive to monetize it via establishing a database rather than tossing it out. The only thing I’d expect them to have voluntarily deleted would be anything covered by law as required to be deleted. Everything else is likely retained, indexed, and used.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

I doubt it’s an error. In todays world, data is valuable. If you get information, you have an active incentive to monetize it via establishing a database rather than tossing it out. The only thing I’d expect them to have voluntarily deleted would be anything covered by law as required to be deleted. Everything else is likely retained, indexed, and used.

I should have made it more obvious that I was referring to GDPR.

Retaining data for longer than necessary is proscribed.

53 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

My £5 says they'll explain the retention of data as required 'for the purposes of ensuring the customer is reminded of their MOT and/or servicing commitments to maintain the vehicle's manufacturer warranty' or some such mealy mouthed BS. 

Which is defensible…if bullshite.

41 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They don't need a copy of their passport, NI number and bank details for that.

Sure they do...in case you wish to book an overseas trip while waiting (interminally) for your service to get done.

14 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Sure they do...in case you wish to book an overseas trip while waiting (interminally) for your service to get done.

My garage who do my services and MOTs and whom I bought the car from didn't ask for any of that, just payment for the car. The only excuse for holding that info would be for financing, which even for Arnold Clark would presumably be an outside firm. Any time I've had to send proof of ID like a copy of passport there's been a promise to delete the info from their servers within a short period of time, unless it was for a legal matter, like probate. I think Arnold Clark could be in some serious bother, and I'd be raging if it was my ID data that they hadn't at least secured offline.

Edited by welshbairn

Looks like my wife's data has been stolen. A couple of weeks ago I got an email from William Hill confirming the setting up of an account. The account was in my wife's name but it used my email address, which was strange to me as she has her own email address. Also the account was set up in the middle of the night when we were both asleep. I contacted William Hill and it's now with their fraud team. It was only when I saw the news about Arnold Clark did it click that the only time we've used her details and my email together was when we bought a new car from Arnold Clark  nearly 3 years ago.  So I can only conclude the hackers have our details. 

5 hours ago, alta-pete said:

My £5 says they'll explain the retention of data as required 'for the purposes of ensuring the customer is reminded of their MOT and/or servicing commitments to maintain the vehicle's manufacturer warranty' or some such mealy mouthed BS. 

They can be as mealy mouthed as they like but they will be dealing with the Information Comissioners Office. If they have the balls to fine BA 20 million I doubt AC will hold much fear.

My experience of the ICO is they will take a much dimmer view of the length of time taken to disclose the breach than the breach itself.

I got a very carefully worded email from them saying it appears I'm affected. They don't know to what extent but here's a worrying excerpt 

"During this incident, it appears that some personal data stored in our network may have been stolen, including names, contact details, dates of birth, vehicle details, ID documents (such as passports and driver’s licences), National Insurance numbers (in limited cases) and bank account details."

At no point does it mention sorry or apologies.