Arnold Clark Horror Stories

If its reasonably new you should expect a reasonable period of trouble free use from it. Obvs if it cost much less or was much older you'd expect less from it.

It's definitely worth contacting Citizens Advice and reading up on the Consumer Goods act

Is it the steering rack that has gone? My steering went last year and it turned out to be the alternator had packed in. My alternator also operated the power steering so it took the arms of Popeye to turn the steering wheel.

1 minute ago, supermik said:

Is it the steering rack that has gone? My steering went last year and it turned out to be the alternator had packed in. My alternator also operated the power steering.

Thats not a thing.

Your fanbelt will have burst, potentially due to the alternator, and with no belt theres nothing to drive the power steering pump.

I dare to suggest @RH33s chances depend on the type of failure.

Wear + tear fault means almost no chance, electrical gives you a chance. Depends on the type of system his Mondeo has.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thats not a thing.

Your fanbelt will have burst, potentially due to the alternator, and with no belt theres nothing to drive the power steering pump.

I dare to suggest @RH33s chances depend on the type of failure.

Wear + tear fault means almost no chance, electrical gives you a chance. Depends on the type of system his Mondeo has.

It’s electrical.

It’s going again for now but mechanic suggests emailing them and start the process as it’ll be in religion of £1200.

Its a 15 plate and I bought it just at end of December. It’s a great car, apart from this rearing it’s head.

Edited by RH33

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this counts as a horror story yet.......

wife has a 3 yr old golf. Got it MOT’d at the Arnold Clark Phoenix wanted it done while still under warranty. 

Passed no bother and got service, wife then went to renew the road tax of her 21,000 mile car to see that according to the DVLA the MOT was carried out at over 42,000miles and when she checked the service history it was 30,000. 

Not sure if this counts as a horror story yet.......
wife has a 3 yr old golf. Got it MOT’d at the Arnold Clark Phoenix wanted it done while still under warranty. 
Passed no bother and got service, wife then went to renew the road tax of her 21,000 mile car to see that according to the DVLA the MOT was carried out at over 42,000miles and when she checked the service history it was 30,000. 

How long had you owned the car before it getting its mot?

4 hours ago, killiepiemuncher said:

How long had you owned the car before it getting its mot?

It had been owned from new. 

She has spoken to the dealer today, apparently they had entered the job number into the MOT database rather than the actual mileage. They claim that they will be able to sort it but I’m not going to hold my breath. 

Not sure how they have cocked up entering the mileage in the service history yet. 

15 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

She has spoken to the dealer today, apparently they had entered the job number into the MOT database rather than the actual mileage. They claim that they will be able to sort it but I’m not going to hold my breath. 

Not sure how they have cocked up entering the mileage in the service history yet. 

😄

They didn't cock anything up. They quite clearly did it on purpose and have been caught out.

1 hour ago, DumbartonBud said:

Ha, I mind getting my MOT done a couple of years ago and noticing the mileage on the certificate was far higher than it should have been when I was picking the car up.

The owner was adamant that it was correct, I got in to have a look while he stood outside the car looking in with the window down. The number on the display did match what was on the certificate but I thought it was way too high, any time I'd glanced at the mileage leading up to getting the MOT done it was well below what it was showing now so I knew there was something off (unless I'd managed to somehow do about 20,000 miles in the space of a few days... yeah.)

After a little bit of faffing about with the buttons I had a wee look at the display again, pointed at it and said "wait that says km down in the corner there, shouldn't it be in miles?)" 

Turned out they had accidentally changed the display from miles to kilometres when doing the service and MOT (which would have eaten a fair chunk of value off the car!)

Got an apology for the mix-up and it was all fixed within 1 working day (I think they pass it on to the DVLA so I got an assurance everything would be sorted) and I got a new MOT certificate with the correct mileage on it.

You should be fine. 🙂

Can I go for an Evans Halshaw one? 

Wife made an appointment for a test drive, 1pm Friday. They phoned twice pushing that back an hour each time to “accommodate other customers” then again after she’d left the house to push it back another half hour. 

Sat about in the waiting area for half an hour after the new time, until some guy then spends ages asking for the information she’s already given them once. 

Eventually gets to the car 2019 plate, visible mould on the back seats, stank of wet dog. She starts to adjust the seats, press a few buttons, given she’s considering handing over £17k for it and never driven the brand before.  “Need help starting a car love? Your hubby do it for you?”

Gets quarter of a mile down the road, low fuel alerts buzzing, car stalls at a junction. Pushes it into a bus stop. Phones dealer, having to go through the options on the phone system. “Nah hen, it’s not run out of fuel, you’ve got that wrong” Waits another half an hour for dealer to appear. Announces she’s probably flooded the engine by stalling it. No way it’s run out of fuel. 

Has a look. It’s run out of fuel “dials are confusing, you should have checked before you left hen”.  

waits another half an hour for dealer to return with a fuel can. Decides to abandon test drive and just goes back to forecourt. Asks for trade in offer as they were going to assess her car whilst she was out. Finds they hadn’t done it, they couldn’t move the car, must have mechanical issues. Wife deftly shows dealer he needs to fasten seatbelt before it moves. 

waits in rain whilst dealer has a look. Announces it’ll be a while, wife says email it “we don’t do that hen” they’ll call tomorrow. 

No call obviously. 

I’ve written shorter CVs 

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 21:11, DA Baracus said:
On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 20:55, DumbartonBud said:

😄

They didn't cock anything up. They quite clearly did it on purpose and have been caught out.

I'm inclined to agree it was on purpose - what are the changes their job number is in the same numerical format as mileage?

• 7 months later...

Caught up with my dad today, about 18 months ago AC replaced an entire wiring loom because of a fault that effected the i-stop and was causing an error. He agreed to get the loom changed but was charged £700. Seemed like it was fixed until about two weeks ago it came back.

Hes so scunnered with AC that he is thinking about leaving it, the car still works fine. Just doesn’t cut out. What a bunch of cowboys, they’ve just guessed at the fault and not even tested the old harness. I did say to him at the time to get them to show him the fault report. Looks like it just reset the fault, the cynic in me thinks it was complete guesswork and probably 50/50 between that and a battery. Not sure where he stands because it’s over a year but to me he’s been charged money for something that didn’t fix the problem.

• 3 months later...

We went into Arnold Clark Volkswagen in Stirling and spotted a lovely Audi A4 S-line with only 9500 mikes for £15998,took it for a drive and it was spot on,sat down with the salesman to do a deal and was asked what would take for me to buy the car.

So I asked for the 2 year service pack at £249 to be included he went to the boss who said all I would get was road tax for a year free(£155)

They lost the sale for £94

Edited by keithgy