Arnold Clark Horror Stories

53 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Ive been here 3 years needs although a remarkable Girl I doubt she was posting on a Scottish Football forum at the tender age of 11

It says she is 16?  So surely that would be 13?

10 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

It says she is 16?  So surely that would be 13?

I though she had just turned 15 and seeing as I joined in march. Anyway I'm not her and she's not me, neither of us have bought a car from Arnold Clark

I bought my new motor from AC and everything has been suspiciously perfect so far. I fear the worst.

Lucky you.

I just bought a Hyundai Tucson, before buying it I was told it had an issue with Producing too much CO2 emissions, but the car would be fine.

2 days after collecting the car the EMS Came on.

Turns out someone has put diesel in the car, and has tried to cover it up. Cars been returned and awaiting them finding me a suitable replacement.

And the offer of compensation is a tank of petrol....

On 25/04/2019 at 19:07, Dindeleux said:

I bought my current car from Arnold Clark and never had a bit of hassle with it or them to be honest.

It is a Golf right enough - if you are buying Skoda's etc then you take that gamble.  (I know its part of the same group but so is Frasers and Sports Direct).

Be less poor.

The 1.6 diesel in a Skoda is, literally, exactly the same as those in a VW Golf (and Audi A3). As someone who's had one apart, everything internal that can, has a VW/Audi badge stamped on it.

On 26/04/2019 at 13:05, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I bought my new motor from AC and everything has been suspiciously perfect so far. I fear the worst.

Just your luck with the car.

Arnold Clark dont do any pre-sales checks. Cars brought into workshop, tyres are checked and levels topped up. If customer requests paintwork it's done. 

That's it.

You can see why they have these issues.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The 1.6 diesel in a Skoda is, literally, exactly the same as those in a VW Golf (and Audi A3). As someone who's had one apart, everything internal that can, has a VW/Audi badge stamped on it.

Do they have the same quality control though? That's how they vary the price with parts for brands in other industries, or so I was told. 

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Arnold Clark dont do any pre-sales checks. Cars brought into workshop, tyres are checked and levels topped up. If customer requests paintwork it's done. 

That's it.

My car is new tbf. The only reason I went with them is because they gave me a good price for my trade in.

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Do they have the same quality control though? That's how they vary the price with parts for brands in other industries, or so I was told. 

Exact same. Difference are superficial (my Vrs is just a Golf GTi, GTi gets more toys inside, better quality of finish in things like the dash/seats/steering wheel) as far as I know.

Mechanically, they're made in the same place, and the shell is put around them by the respective companies.

Edited by RandomGuy.

2 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

My car is new tbf. The only reason I went with them is because they gave me a good price for my trade in.

I'm not criticising you at all, just explaining why some people seem to have no issues (my dads had no issues there), while others have nightmares.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm not criticising you at all, just explaining why some people seem to have no issues (my dads had no issues there), while others have nightmares.

Aye I know. I would’ve been a lot more hesitant with a used car though, especially after the debacle I had with my previous car (although it was bought privately).

That's it.

^^ As he says.

Bear in mind you are buying a used product with a potentially wild variation in ab/use.

If you want as close as you can to flawless and cared for, buy under a manufacturer approved scheme. You will however pay top whack. Why? Because they warrant it. That costs money and it’s a premium product.

Less money? Buy from the supermarket. You pays yer money ye takes yer chances. Some are good, others less so.

There’s a reason the (for example) ex-hire and motability cars (relatively new and low mileage) end up at non franchise dealers.

Lucky you.

I just bought a Hyundai Tucson, before buying it I was told it had an issue with Producing too much CO2 emissions, but the car would be fine.

2 days after collecting the car the EMS Came on.

Turns out someone has put diesel in the car, and has tried to cover it up. Cars been returned and awaiting them finding me a suitable replacement.

And the offer of compensation is a tank of petrol....
Why would you buy this and why did they volunteer this information?

Why would you buy this and why did they volunteer this information?

I wasn’t made aware until I called them about the Engine light coming on.
And it didn’t help the person in their service department slipped up when I was talking to her and practically admitted the car shouldn’t have been sold.

4 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I wasn’t made aware until I called them about the Engine light coming on.
And it didn’t help the person in their service department slipped up when I was talking to her and practically admitted the car shouldn’t have been sold.

But if it was producing too much CO2 it wouldn't have got through its next MOT. I assume.

Edited by welshbairn

Picked up a new (used) car on Tuesday for my wife. She complained that the gears were tough to change. Being an inexperienced driver I put it down to her just getting used to the car. However i took it out for a drive and it is indeed very sticky. Will be phoning AC in the morning to demand they take a look at the clutch. I somehow dont hold out much hope of getting it sorted by them

38 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Picked up a new (used) car on Tuesday for my wife. She complained that the gears were tough to change. Being an inexperienced driver I put it down to her just getting used to the car. However i took it out for a drive and it is indeed very sticky. Will be phoning AC in the morning to demand they take a look at the clutch. I somehow dont hold out much hope of getting it sorted by them

A week after buying the car...

image.png

Edited by Adam101

Dont get fobbed off the fault clearly existed at point of sale and as such will be fixed under Consumer Rights Act. Warranty doesn't even come into it neither does wear and tear. This is a straightforward case.