Best Android Apps

My G2 Touch has now decided to take a lifetime to do anything. It's became so laggy, It can take upto 15 seconds from pressing the messages icon to it actually showing up, and now the internet is taking ages to load up aswell. I didn't have many apps on it in the first place but ive deleted them all now, aswell as half my music and it's still doing the same.

Any idea why this is? I hate this piece of shit phone. Nothing but trouble since day one.

Download Advanced Task Manager or Taskiller and kill off anything thats running in the background. Other than that, I'd be stuck :lol:

edited to add - if you've had it for a while, you could see if theres a firmware upgrade available on the HTC website

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Download Advanced Task Manager or Taskiller and kill off anything thats running in the background. Other than that, I'd be stuck :lol:

edited to add - if you've had it for a while, you could see if theres a firmware upgrade available on the HTC website

Seems to have helped a little bit so thanks :). still a bit laggy for my liking though. Only 4 or 5 more months left until i can buy out my contract and get an Iphone :D:lol:

Got Beeb Player last night and its awesome! Basically the iplayer on your phone, but as well as the database of previous programmes, you can also watch all the BBC Channels in realtime!

Got Beeb Player last night and its awesome! Basically the iplayer on your phone, but as well as the database of previous programmes, you can also watch all the BBC Channels in realtime!

It is great, isnt it?

I installed Layer last night - it 'layers' on information based on where you are, various options for hotels, restaurants etc etc - but havent had a chance to play with it. Also, TrainTimes UK, which gives train timetables and live arrivals/departure information. Looks really good.

edited to add - got RecordIT too. TV guide which lets you remotely record on your Sky box

Which of these type of phones is the best? It's upgrade time for me but I'm not sure what to go for. I like the look of the one you have Mr X but also the Sony Satio as it has a 12mg camera.

TIA

Which of these type of phones is the best? It's upgrade time for me but I'm not sure what to go for. I like the look of the one you have Mr X but also the Sony Satio as it has a 12mg camera.

TIA

Satio is not an Android phone so if you're wanting the apps being talked about in this thread for your next phone that wouldn't be the one pick.

TIA

The Satio isnt an Android phone, it has no place here :P

Having seen the guy at works HTC Desire, I would go for one of them over pretty much anything

Thought I'd update my list

BeebPlayer

Android Web Desktop - control your phone via a web browser on your desktop

Mobile Scoccer Coach - one for the stattos out there ;)

TuneWiki Media Player

Movies

Soccer Score Centre

Soccer Livescores - I desperatly want Score centre to update properly. Its just been updated, so fingers crossed, but Livescores is a good back up

Layar - augmented reality (look it up)

MSN Talk - an MSN client

Record It - in the absence of an official Sky app, this tv listings app also lets you remotely record things on your sky box

Train Times UK - train timetables and live departure/arrivals board information

Google Sky Map

WaveSecure

FoxyRing

3G Watchdog

Astro File manager

Battery Widget

Ringdroid

Wine by the bar - lets you scan barcodes on bottles of wine and finds reviews/prices etc. Hasnt found anything I drink so far! But you can keep your own notes/reviews

GPS tracker - brilliant app that tracks your movement, via gps, and plots it back to a website. You can then look up where you've been, save specific routes etc

24 Clock - a clock that looks like the 24 clock :D

Barcode scanner

Shazam

Gmail unread counter

Advanced Task Manager

BBC News

Star wars light sabre

Unit Converter

fantastic app, converts almost anything. CBA listing them all...but its a VERY handy program.......for my line of work anyway. Changing a radian into rev/min or m/s² to km/hr² couldn't be simpler. biggrin.gif

Pretty much got all the apps mentioned, only one that i've got that some people might want is cab4me, not used it much, but it's quite handy due to giving you local taxi firms numbers.

• 3 weeks later...

beebplayer has been withdrawn from the market following a request to the developer – presumably from the BBC – suggesting they might be developing an Official app. In the meantime if you’ve got it, and want to keep it, best to back it up. Unfortunately I didn’t and following a reset I can’t get it back ;(

Also Amazon MP3 appears to have disappeared from the Market (or perhaps its only available to Android 1.6+?). Perhaps not surprising: I was able to download three albums and wasn’t charged for them! Still, for me Android is lacking an ‘iTunes’ alternative.

One new app for Orange users is ‘Your Orange’ where you can keep track of your bill, date usage, etc.

For Hero users stuck on Android 1.5, owners in the US on the Sprit network received an upgrade last week. While the US Hero is slightly different hopefully this points towards v2.1 coming to Europe soon. Of course, v2.2 is soon to be launched, although I’ve read this might be a step too far for the Hero’s hardware.

beebplayer has been withdrawn from the market following a request to the developer – presumably from the BBC – suggesting they might be developing an Official app. In the meantime if you’ve got it, and want to keep it, best to back it up. Unfortunately I didn’t and following a reset I can’t get it back ;(

Also Amazon MP3 appears to have disappeared from the Market (or perhaps its only available to Android 1.6+?). Perhaps not surprising: I was able to download three albums and wasn’t charged for them! Still, for me Android is lacking an ‘iTunes’ alternative.

One new app for Orange users is ‘Your Orange’ where you can keep track of your bill, date usage, etc.

For Hero users stuck on Android 1.5, owners in the US on the Sprit network received an upgrade last week. While the US Hero is slightly different hopefully this points towards v2.1 coming to Europe soon. Of course, v2.2 is soon to be launched, although I’ve read this might be a step too far for the Hero’s hardware.

Theres no point in keeping the Beebplayer, it doesnt work anymore :( There have been rumours about an official BBC iphone app for a while, not sure about Android though.

Good news about the 2.1 upgrade though :D

Theres no point in keeping the Beebplayer, it doesnt work anymore :( There have been rumours about an official BBC iphone app for a while, not sure about Android though.

Good news about the 2.1 upgrade though :D

Beebplayer still works on iPlayer stuff doesn't it?Live radio and TV it doesn't although allegedly there are ways around that, with other apps.

I think you could possible get it from the internet if you were desperate?

Got the HTC desire- would like the GPS tracks at times but not sure if it would be too much drain on battery!

Anyone else using Handcent SMS, prefer it to the normal messages app.

Beebplayer still works on iPlayer stuff doesn't it?Live radio and TV it doesn't although allegedly there are ways around that, with other apps.

I think you could possible get it from the internet if you were desperate?

Got the HTC desire- would like the GPS tracks at times but not sure if it would be too much drain on battery!

Anyone else using Handcent SMS, prefer it to the normal messages app.

The live stuff on beebplayer hasnt been working for a while. The last time I tried, none of the iplayer stuff worked either, which was after it was taken off. Havent tried it lately though

The GPS track isnt too bad on the battery at all, nowhere near as much as I thought it would be

Archived