Did you know......?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

who told you that david cameron

Who told me what about David Cameron?

who told you that, annabel goldie?

To your credit, you at least managed the question mark and comma allowing the sentence to make vague sense, but you still couldn't capitalise proper nouns and the first letter of the first word of a sentence. It remains a shame that the response bears no relevance to the topic or semblance to reality.

I did note that but chose not to be a pedant wink.gif

Pedant is an anagram of Panted.

Something subliminally Freudian is happening to your psyche, big boy!smile.gif

To your credit, you at least managed the question mark and comma allowing the sentence to make vague sense, but you still couldn't capitalise proper nouns and the first letter of the first word of a sentence. It remains a shame that the response bears no relevance to the topic or semblance to reality.

yawn take your finger out your ass dickweed

and since you want to get all wanky tory boy you mean semblance of not to.

I normally find miko's posts to be uneccesarily harsh, crude and confrontational.

I like those two, though! Spot on!smile.gif

I refer you to definition 4. Both are equally acceptable.

not in the way you used it, I refer you back to your own link 'some semblance of justice (reality)'/'her story bears some semblance to THE truth' therefore you used it incorrectly, then tried to mock my english. btw are you also aware elitism would see you sterilised ?

not in the way you used it, I refer you back to your own link 'some semblance of justice (reality)'/'her story bears some semblance to THE truth' therefore you used it incorrectly, then tried to mock my english. btw are you also aware elitism would see you sterilised ?

Use of the definite article does not preclude the use of the word "to" in that context. Both are equally acceptable. Justice is an indefinite concept and emotive, hence the use of semblance "of" (it is qualitative). The Truth and Reality are definite concepts, which can be reached by exactitude. Hence the preposition "to" is, if anything more apt.

I did not use it incorrectly. I pointed out that what you wrote didn't actually make sense, whereas what I posted made perfect sense.

P.S. Elitism may well see me sterilised, but it would see you shot.

not likely tory boy but then I'm not the one claiming its natural anyway am I

as for semblance see how many semblance ofs you see here

http://www.yourdictionary.com/examples/semblance

Your point isn't relevant. None of them preclude the use of "semblance to". It merely suggests that "semblance of" is the more common.

Now crawl back under your rock.

Your point isn't relevant. None of them preclude the use of "semblance to". It merely suggests that "semblance of" is the more common.

Now crawl back under your rock.

also that semblance to is bad english and incorrect usage, dont feel so smart now do you thats what you get for being snidey tory boy

also that semblance to is bad english and incorrect usage, dont feel so smart now do you thats what you get for being snidey tory boy

No. On a point of fact, the preferred choice of word does not preclude alternatives.

I can only presume that your continued supposed ineptitude at using the English language is deliberate?

I would suggest if they were alternatives they would have been listed as such or there would have been some examples in which they were used, there was not, ergo.......

as for my style of writing when you grow up a little you'll realise not everything is a pissing contest and a lot of people don't care about a lot of stuff, you only need to be grammatically correct when you're being marked for it, the rest of the time its just being anal imo, unless thats the way you particularly like to write, this is how I like to write so I do.

I would suggest if they were alternatives they would have been listed as such or there would have been some examples in which they were used, there was not, ergo.......

as for my style of writing when you grow up a little you'll realise not everything is a pissing contest and a lot of people don't care about a lot of stuff, you only need to be grammatically correct when you're being marked for it, the rest of the time its just being anal imo, unless thats the way you particularly like to write, this is how I like to write so I do.

Shakespeare uses "semblance to" where the definite article is not present

I trust your apology will be in perfect English?

Archived