Final Fantasy VII Remake

Gaz

Thread has been running 9 years, the game was actually announced 4 years ago and we are no closer to seeing any semblance of a release date before 2020 for the first part and now likely not on the current generation of consoles given that the Xbox Scarlett is likely to be announced at E3 next month.

Think we are very likely heading into Duke Nukem Forever/Half Life 3 territory on this one.

Think we are very likely heading into Duke Nukem Forever/Half Life 3 territory on this one.

Not sure what you mean here? Yes the game is taking a long time to come out but footage has been released continually. Duke Nukem Forever is just a bad game that took a long time to come out and half life 3 hasn't been announced.

On 19/05/2019 at 01:50, Crroma said:

Not sure what you mean here? Yes the game is taking a long time to come out but footage has been released continually. Duke Nukem Forever is just a bad game that took a long time to come out and half life 3 hasn't been announced.

I don't think it's vaporware, but you're stretching it a bit trying to claim footage has been released continually.

I think we'll get a release date at E3. My money's on this Christmas.

I also expect there'll be a PS5 version as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently making my way through the old PSOne version of Final Fantasy VII. I've just started the third disc and I'm in the process of getting the ultimate weapons and level four limit breaks.

It was my favourite game for about 20 years but I don't think it stands up so well now. The story is overly complex, the dialogue is hokey, the graphics look clunky and the party organisation is a pain in the arse (for example, if the game demands you add a character to your party, swapping over materia is annoying). The two bonus baddies, Emerald Weapon and Ruby Weapon, are miles above anything else in the game and it takes so much grinding before you can even contemplate taking them on.

Over the last two years I played VIII, IX and X and VIII and X are streets ahead of VII, X in particular. I look forward to the remake of VII, however, and hope they do a decent job of it.

3 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm currently making my way through the old PSOne version of Final Fantasy VII. I've just started the third disc and I'm in the process of getting the ultimate weapons and level four limit breaks.

It was my favourite game for about 20 years but I don't think it stands up so well now. The story is overly complex, the dialogue is hokey, the graphics look clunky and the party organisation is a pain in the arse (for example, if the game demands you add a character to your party, swapping over materia is annoying). The two bonus baddies, Emerald Weapon and Ruby Weapon, are miles above anything else in the game and it takes so much grinding before you can even contemplate taking them on.

Over the last two years I played VIII, IX and X and VIII and X are streets ahead of VII, X in particular. I look forward to the remake of VII, however, and hope they do a decent job of it.

Emerald and ruby didnt take much grinding tbh, gold chocobo aside you just needed a few other materia that helped you take advantage of some loopholes in the game lol

I agree the graphics etc dont stand up well the now, however the storyline is still utter gold, i still prefer 8 over all FF games ive played mind you, i might be in the minority but I loved the junction system

1 minute ago, 54_and_counting said:

Emerald and ruby didnt take much grinding tbh, gold chocobo aside you just needed a few other materia that helped you take advantage of some loopholes in the game lol

I agree the graphics etc dont stand up well the now, however the storyline is still utter gold, i still prefer 8 over all FF games ive played mind you, i might be in the minority but I loved the junction system

I don't know, I could never get the better of them. I had a friend from school who beat Emerald Weapon but this was courtesy of Cait Sith's ultimate limit break!

I think the main strand of the plot is pretty good (saving the planet from an evil conglomerate) but the whole Cloud/Zack tangent doesn't do much for me.

I agree with you about the junctioning system in Final Fantasy VIII, certainly a lot more straightforward than stripping all the materia from one character and sticking it on another.

8 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Nothing worse than losing one of your grade-A cards because the random rule has unexpectedly popped up in your region.

13 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

The card game in 8 was fucking amazing.

There was a way to manipulate the rules to remove certain rules in any region, i didnt know it at the time but seen it recently when the wee man played ff8, man its fucking complicated, much easier to save and reload if you fucked up lol

Random i didnt mind, as long as open was there, not seeing opponents cards was a b*****d 

Noticed that the release date for the remake of FF7 has been trotted out today, though given Square Enix's form along with that of the wider gaming industry, I would be very surprised if the game does drop in nine months' time. 

I'm not really a huge fan of the FF series in general - my interest in it is mainly borne of obsessively watching my nine-years-older brother playing games such as FF and RE from the age of about three upwards, until I could finally play them competently myself. The game which sticks out in the main from that time is, for me, FF7, so it's always been one I have had a fondness and profound nostalgia for and I've played through it a few times myself, despite being born into the PS2 era and having exclusively played the game with it being "outdated" (it was released when I wasn't even a year old). 

I've played other FF games, including bits of some of the early ones on PS1, all-but the final boss of FF3 on Nintendo DS (utterly impossible, by the way), a good deal of FF10 and a small bit of FF8 too. None of them have appealed to me like FF7, though, and I'm looking forward to having the game (hopefully, pretty faithfully) repackaged into the sort of 1080p, smooth release to which I am more accustomed. They can do whatever they want with combat, travel etc. but if they keep most elements of the storyline and soundtrack similar then it'll be a big W.

Even as bizarre as the character models and 2D pre-rendered backgrounds look now, along with the fairly counter-intuitive materia and party systems, the original game is still a masterpiece when taken as a vehicle for its main storyline and soundtrack. I had a bash at playing FF10 to completion, but the fairly repetitive and linear nature of the gameplay, allied to a pretty bland storyline, meant I lost interest pretty easily; the sphere grid system is a bit of a pain in the arse as well, and something which makes it hard to dip in and out of playing the game.

I'm probably due a blast at FF7 again, because I don't think I've actually played it properly in about six or seven years now. Hopefully I don't do what I have done in every previous playthrough and completely forget what I am supposed to do/where I am supposed to go when I get tossed in the clink at the Golden Saucer.

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

You go to one of the abandoned houses, short clip, go see Dyne to the north somewhere. Use the truck as a free healing point for leveling up.

I've played this so many times!

Haha aye, the thing which fooled me previously was the fact that you have to run "north" for about a minute into the desert area around the back/at the right-hand side - I must have been flummoxed by it on at least two occasions, so I think I have finally learned my lesson. 

31 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I wonder if Cloud's cross dressing antics make it in?

With the pussy whipped perma offended in the world these days they'd be mental to drop it

Was a right funny part though, first time i played it i did the basics og the dress up, then next few play throughs i realised you could go baws out and actually get dressed uo enough to be picked lol

Tried playing it again last night and I don't think I can be bothered working to get Cloud's Omnislash or the Knights of the Round materia. I think I'm fed up. Forty hours I won't get back. What a waste. Might just complete it and move on.

Bought the guidebook for Final Fantasy X-2 on eBay so I might give that a bash. X is probably the best of the bunch so I have high hopes for its sequel!