Final Fantasy VII Remake

Gaz

17 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

That b*****d triple triad game in 8 was so addictive, 

I am genuinely astonished that Squeenix haven't released Triple Triad as a CCG in the mould of MTGO or Hearthstone.

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 07:08, Stellaboz said:

Not enjoying this free combat system. Combat in these games has been utter shit since 10. 12 almost managed to make it work but 15 was fucking garbage.

Bring back ATB.

This.

3 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Did anyone watch the 7 remake video, the battle system looks really fucking good tbh

Really not a fan of it. Actually put me off this remake. I've not been a fan of any of the battle systems since 10 tbh.

On 24/03/2010 at 11:52, Gaz said:

I play through it once or twice a year and it's easily my favourite game of all-time, but I can list loads of reasons to remake it:

Sounds and music - the FFVII soundtrack on the PS was composed entirely of MIDI files. Have a look on YouTube for proper orchestral versions of Aerith's Theme and One-Winged-Angel and it's like night and day - to an audiophile like me they sound absolutely fantastic, and the old ones sound worn and tinny compared to it. Here is One Winged Angel performed by a full orchestra:

Translation issues and mistakes - from petty things like Aerith's name and the name of Odin's attacks being completely wrong to whole swathes of dialogue being incorrect, there are thousands of errors that a remake could correct (some other examples are names of spells and summons, and I bet not many people remember that in Cosmo Canyon we see a model of OUR solar system (with Gaia in place of where Earth is, something that wasn't meant to happen at all) . I recently played the DS remake of Chrono Trigger and just having all the dialogue tidied up makes such a difference - conversations sound so natural and not forced, there are no translation issues that were prevalent on the old SNES version. It's brilliant.

The story - FFVII's story has been fleshed out quite a bit with the introduction of Advent Children / Crisis Core / DIssidia etc.. While these should be treated separately there are elements of backstory that could be explored further in the main game.

Graphics - FFVII with the graphics from Advent Children would be something very, very special. As technology moves on more and more people have HDTVs and while I still play FFVII quite happily on the blocky PlayStation output, HD would look so much better.

Preservation of Technology - Sony and Square don't make PlayStation games any more, PS2s are dying out and although the PS3 can currently play PSX games that won't continue forever. An updated remake would bring it to a whole new audience.

Money - Square have been struggling a bit over the last few years. A remake of unarguably their most popular and well-loved game would bring untold millions to their coffers - not to mention boost the sales of the PS3 / 360 or whatever it was released on.

I could go on, but those are my main reasons for remaking it.

23 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm currently making my way through the old PSOne version of Final Fantasy VII. I've just started the third disc and I'm in the process of getting the ultimate weapons and level four limit breaks.

It was my favourite game for about 20 years but I don't think it stands up so well now. The story is overly complex, the dialogue is hokey, the graphics look clunky and the party organisation is a pain in the arse (for example, if the game demands you add a character to your party, swapping over materia is annoying). The two bonus baddies, Emerald Weapon and Ruby Weapon, are miles above anything else in the game and it takes so much grinding before you can even contemplate taking them on.

Over the last two years I played VIII, IX and X and VIII and X are streets ahead of VII, X in particular. I look forward to the remake of VII, however, and hope they do a decent job of it.

I posted some similar issues back on the first page of the thread.

I still play through it every year. The graphics don't bother me too much but there are a good few things about it I'd change. I'm quite happy with the direction they're going in that I just don't want an HD remake, I want all the niggles ironed out and the story expanded on.

I can't wait. I tried to order the $330 edition this morning but apparently Square NA don't deliver to the UK :(

45 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Apparently the game is only going to be up until the Midgar sequence.

Nah, not having that.

I reckon it'll split after the incident.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Apparently the game is only going to be up until the Midgar sequence.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Nah, not having that.

I reckon it'll split after the incident.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

I dont get it, surely they don't mean disc 1 is effectively up until you escape midgar the first time? 

10 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Tried playing it again last night and I don't think I can be bothered working to get Cloud's Omnislash or the Knights of the Round materia. I think I'm fed up. Forty hours I won't get back. What a waste. Might just complete it and move on.

Bought the guidebook for Final Fantasy X-2 on eBay so I might give that a bash. X is probably the best of the bunch so I have high hopes for its sequel!

X-2 was one I did play. It was pretty linear for a while but got good.

I am going on to the PS store and buying 7,8,9 & 10

12 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

X-2 was one I did play. It was pretty linear for a while but got good.

I am going on to the PS store and buying 7,8,9 & 10

Wait till 8 is remastered this year, i actually hated how linear 10 was, just didnt seem ff like for me, plus they fucking dark aeons were a joke

10 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Tried playing it again last night and I don't think I can be bothered working to get Cloud's Omnislash or the Knights of the Round materia. I think I'm fed up. Forty hours I won't get back. What a waste. Might just complete it and move on.

Bought the guidebook for Final Fantasy X-2 on eBay so I might give that a bash. X is probably the best of the bunch so I have high hopes for its sequel!

X was rubbish compared to viii imo, so linear and it seemed like they focused on graphics first and storyline 2nd

I loved X. It's easily in my top 5 games of all time.

Anyone else here played Chrono Trigger? It has aged fantastically, especially when compared to early 3D games. Get the DS version for the definitive experience.

48 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

X was rubbish compared to viii imo, so linear and it seemed like they focused on graphics first and storyline 2nd

Final Fantasy X is brilliant. Loved the world of Spira, all the different religions, the backstory about the Machina wars, the Sphere Grid, the Break HP Limit stuff... I understand the criticism that it was too linear but I liked that, it was something different.

Tidus was a bit of an arsehole, right enough, and I didn't understand the stuff with Sin, but I thought it was a great game.

42 minutes ago, Crroma said:

I stayed up all night playing FFX on launch day just to play blitzball. Not my finest moment

I have never enjoyed Blitzball, so much so that I've never seen what happens if you win a game at the tournament in Luca.

On 11/06/2019 at 09:12, Francesc Fabregas said:

I bought X-2 first, and while it was a fairly decent game I still think X shites all over it in terms of storyline and gameplay. I haven't played either of them in a while, but I;d probably be more likely to play X from the start, as the plot more than makes up for how linear the first half of the game is.  I also found Tidus' fish-out-of-water buffoonery pretty amusing, though the less said about the forced laughter when you leave Luca the better, I still fucking cringe any time I hear that.

I also seem to be one of the few folk on here who actually quite enjoys playing XII,  due to the more open combat style and license system being an interesting change.

If folk want to talk about properly linear though, then XIII wins that hands down. This is one instance where I actually prefer the sequel.