Elite Ice Hockey League

Zanetti

Bumpity bump. Anyone been to see much of their respective teams this season so far??

Yes. :(

Watching the Caps has ranged from decent to utter, utter shite. The wins against Fife and Hull were the only good performances I've seen so far. Last night's effort against Nottingham Panthers was risible. Not sure if the Panthers are just really, really good or if we are really, really bad. I suspect the latter.

Michal Dobron is head and shoulders above everyone else on the team. Hiadlovsky, Jarolin and Portwood all get pass marks. Everyone else just hasn't cut it. Zembergs and Hartmann show flashes of competence, but just don't seem to be consistent. Benadik has been hilariously bad at times.

I've been most impressed by the Panthers and the Clan. Clan's performance at Murrayfield (second time around) was very impressive, but they didn't look too great when we visited the Braehead Arena. Drew Miller didn't look that great either, tbh. None of the NHL-ers have when I've seen them.

Yes. :(

Watching the Caps has ranged from decent to utter, utter shite. The wins against Fife and Hull were the only good performances I've seen so far. Last night's effort against Nottingham Panthers was risible. Not sure if the Panthers are just really, really good or if we are really, really bad. I suspect the latter.

Michal Dobron is head and shoulders above everyone else on the team. Hiadlovsky, Jarolin and Portwood all get pass marks. Everyone else just hasn't cut it. Zembergs and Hartmann show flashes of competence, but just don't seem to be consistent. Benadik has been hilariously bad at times.

I've been most impressed by the Panthers and the Clan. Clan's performance at Murrayfield (second time around) was very impressive, but they didn't look too great when we visited the Braehead Arena. Drew Miller didn't look that great either, tbh. None of the NHL-ers have when I've seen them.

We got destroyed by the panthers at Braehead on Friday too. Granted they are a very good team, but we played woeful with some pretty horrible goals going in on Zemlak's part. It's probably the first time I've noticed such a gulf in class at a clan game between the 2 teams. The strength in depth panthers have is considerably better than all Gardner conference teams.

It's crazy seeing the difference top quality D make as well, going from Wedderburn and co last season to what we have now is pretty tough to watch. Birnstills class but needs some support. Lepine is an absolute monster and is the kinda player that can really get to teams if you don't have anyone to stand up to him which was pretty clear on Friday, would love someone like that.

In regards to the NHL players I'd probably agree, none have really lit the place up but I think that's down to the types of players they are rather than ability as it's pretty evident that they are a step above most players.

One bonus is that regardless of the apparent gulf in class between conferences, the actual conference system itself will let the Scottish teams and Hull be an arms length away from the other conference in league standings.

Lepine is an absolute monster and is the kinda player that can really get to teams if you don't have anyone to stand up to him which was pretty clear on Friday, would love someone like that.

True that! Lepine alone looked frightning, but the other massive D-man the Panthers have, Tuma, was even worse! I'd hate to imagine the damage they could have done to the lightweight Caps if they'd played together.

In regards to the NHL players I'd probably agree, none have really lit the place up but I think that's down to the types of players they are rather than ability as it's pretty evident that they are a step above most players.

Miller displayed some real quality in flashes, but didn't really stand out. The Nottingham and Coventry NHL-ers looked average at best. They wouldn't be in the NHL if they weren't quality players, but I expected a lot more from them given how bad the Elite League is supposed to be.

True that! Lepine alone looked frightning, but the other massive D-man the Panthers have, Tuma, was even worse! I'd hate to imagine the damage they could have done to the lightweight Caps if they'd played together.

Miller displayed some real quality in flashes, but didn't really stand out. The Nottingham and Coventry NHL-ers looked average at best. They wouldn't be in the NHL if they weren't quality players, but I expected a lot more from them given how bad the Elite League is supposed to be.

Yeah Tuma is huge too, but not as much of an arsehole as Lepine. Lepine actually ended up fighting Sammy zajac, who cant be any taller than about 5 foot 7!

I'd agree, I do think it's a big difference for the NHL players though. They'll never have been used to getting this much ice time at their respective teams and the fact that the rinks are a good bit bigger here too will make it a different kind of game.

I think there are a couple of reasons the NHL players don't stand out as much as people might have thought they would.

On a four line team, NHL players are used to playing a particular role. When they ice for EIHL teams they're expected to score goals, make things happen and bring the best out of their linemates. That's a completely different job to what they're used to. You hear the same complaints when EPL fans are disappointed with the former EIHL imports who are expected to carry the team on their shoulders.

Secondly, their teammates are now pish and so poorly coached they don't really play to any particular style or set of plays. I've seen guys like Roman Nesrsta come to the EIHL, and despite being rather shite, looked out of place, not because of meagre talent, but because they were obviously used to playing on well coached teams. Compare the warm ups of EIHL teams to those of NHL teams and you'll see the massive gulf in coaching. I honestly think a decent coach in this league could be worth two or three imports. Any imports who arrive from a decent level of hockey soon start to pick up bad habits and laziness due to the lack of structure in place at most teams.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been to most of the Cap's home games this year, including last night. Only really got into hockey about 18 months ago, but gotten right into it over the last year.

Edinburgh went down 3-2 to Sheffield last night and were very unlucky not to get something from the game, they were right in their faces from the start and played some good stuff. Thought the addition of Leinweber made a difference, got the assist on first goal and looked like he'll be a good addition. Referee was poor, gave Cap's Hay a 5 plus game penalty for "Kneeing" a Sheffield player in the centre of the ice, have to be honest it definitely didn't look like kneeing to me, a big hit but certainly no malice.

Sheffield managed to score twice during this penalty and denied Cap's anything from the game. Have to say theres been a real contrast in performances from the team, they go from performances like those against Braehead, Fife, Cardiff and even last night, to completely inept displays.

Hopefully Portwood can return sooner rather than later, also rumoured to be signing a defenceman from an Italian team with decent pedigree, if we can shore up the defence a wee bit and add some more depth to the attack I think the team can lift themselves off the bottom of the table, here's hoping...

Anyone else been watching their team this year? I have to say in the 18 months I've been watching Hockey I've enjoyed it much more than my football. Good, friendly atmosphere, action-packed, commited play, games every week, keen pricing and no adverse weather in the arenas (Even if Murrayfield is baltic!). My team might be struggling, but I still enjoy my visits to games. An Edinburgh fan, but been to games at Braehead and Fife where my team havent been involved and enjoyed those too.

Football clubs and many football fans could learn a lot from Ice Hockey in this country, teams like Braehead going from strength to strength whilst clubs in the SPL continue to have dwindling attendances.... very telling. only been along to two Motherwell games this season and felt pretty bored, robbed and treated like a dick watching a disinterested team go through the motions, Junior football and Hockey for me from now on!

Edited by gavin_3110

• 2 weeks later...

Going to the Stars game on saturday which will be the first EIHL game ive ever watched in full. Can't be more painful than watching the leafs the last few years anywayph34r.gif

You should see a stars win, Braehead have been awful recently whenever we've been up there.

Edit: oops, its Sunday we play Dundee not Saturday.

Edited by Spiders For Life

Edinburgh had a very rare away win against Erhardt conference opposition last night (the first for at least three years I think). The additions of Leinweber and Patry have made a huge difference. It will be difficult tonight against a Belfast team coming off a bad game, but it's been a good weekend so far for Gardiner clubs.

The additions of Leinweber and Patry have made a huge difference.

Definitely. It's been a marked improvement over the last couple of weeks, and long may it continue. Leinweber has been extremely impressive, and is racking up an amazing number of points. Patry has brought another dimension to the second line. The three man revolving defence-attack unit of Holecko, Benedik and Patry worked extremely well against Hull. Hell, Benedik actually looks competent now with Patry beside him. I'd love to see the damage Dobron and Patry could cause on the powerplay, but I understand the decision to separate them.

A lot of effort against Belfast, but still deservedly lost. Belfast defended extremely well, always closed down the space and took away passing lanes.

I would go as far as to say it's the most impressive result in the Capitals' history. The win in Kirkcaldy to knock the Flyers out of the playoffs back in the BNL days and the huge 2-1 win in Sheffield to make the playoffs on the final weekend also have strong cases, but I think tonight's victory is more impressive. It's just two points like any other game in the grand scheme of things, but I don't think Edinburgh have ever won in Nottingham and I don't think they've won during midweek in England since they joined the EIHL. I also don't think they've beaten a top of the table team away from home. They've lost 5-0 and 10-0 in their previous two games against the Panthers this season. As far as upsets go, this one is huge. The NIC is just somewhere where Edinburgh not only fail to get results, they frequently get humiliated in the process. For a result like this to come so soon after another "freak result" (the 2-1 win in Sheffield on Saturday) is lightning striking twice.

Great win last night, picked up some good results over the last few weeks, hopefully Caps will manage to climb off the bottom of the league.

Patry and Leinweber make all the difference, was a shame to see Senko get cut but that's the way it goes, hopefully means Portwood is returning to fitness.

Was a shame to see Senko get cut but that's the way it goes, hopefully means Portwood is returning to fitness.

Not quite, but watch this space ;) Senko was a solid team player, and I'm disappointed to see him go, but I'm told the ends justify the means.

What a week for the Caps. Impressive road wins against top sides and a credible performance if not result against another top team. Really hope this run continues.

• 4 weeks later...