Elite Ice Hockey League

Zanetti

Elite league is a great competitive league. The north conference has the 4 Scottish teams and Hull so its pretty competitive and anyone can beat anyone. Atmosphere is pretty good and family friendly. It obvious ain't the level of NHL or Olympic hockey but with about 11 or 12 imports in each team the level is pretty decent. In terms of style it is not as physical as the North American style and not as skill full as the continental European style but somewhere in the middle. Looking at this seasons off signings tho I think teams are beefing up a bit in the physical style.

Elite league is a great competitive league. The north conference has the 4 Scottish teams and Hull so its pretty competitive and anyone can beat anyone. Atmosphere is pretty good and family friendly. It obvious ain't the level of NHL or Olympic hockey but with about 11 or 12 imports in each team the level is pretty decent. In terms of style it is not as physical as the North American style and not as skill full as the continental European style but somewhere in the middle. Looking at this seasons off signings tho I think teams are beefing up a bit in the physical style.

Cheers mate might get involved in a few of these games myself, wouldnt know what team to watch though

• 2 weeks later...

Looking like this could be the strongest set of rosters the league has seen in years. Braehead and Dundee look live they've made real strides forward with Cardiff an Coventry, on paper, looking as if they'll be back to challenging again. Fear for the other 3 teams who don't look as strong but fife getting Nickerson back will be a big boost to them. Hull especially look like they'll struggle. Will be very odd seeing Galbraith in a Stars jersey!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Edinburgh Capitals have an offer on giving anyone with a valid lothian buses rideacard £5 off tickets for selected games starting with Saturdays game against Dundee. Typically I am away this weekend so cannot make use of this. Full list of games in the deal as follows:

Saturday 27th September v Dundee Saturday 1st November v Sheffield Sunday 30th November v Hull Tuesday 23rd December v Dundee Sunday 25th January v Hull Sunday 1st March v Nottingham Sunday 22nd March v Dundee

• 2 months later...

Dundee are a real mess this year. Another player jumping ship after a rumoured fall out with Hutchins. Jeff is a liability who offers nothing on the ice and his lack of man management skills compromises his ability off it. He might be the cheap option with a job outside hockey subsidising his overall earnings but he got lucky last year with a great group of players and one guy in particular who could pick up a lot of the coaching slack. He doesnt have that this year.

• 4 weeks later...

Are there many people on here keeping up with the EIHL?

Was at the Clan game tonight against the Giants, as per usual very entertaining game. Never seen the clan away from home but I've been to 5 or 6 games this year and they've certainly looked alot sharper at home than last year. Great to see them roar back from the 6-1 horsing in Belfast last night to beat them 5-2 in the return fixture at home.

Anyone at the game see what happened to the ref that he was off injured for a good 5-10 minutes in the 3rd?

I've been to a fair few Braehead games and a handful involving Edinburgh and Fife.

Braehead look good when they concentrate on playing proper hockey, revert to type disappointingly often and try to batter the opposition, invariably never works. Had a wee bit of a slump there but told it was a good performance the other night. Hope it keeps up.

Edinburgh are puzzling. Shite or champagne, often both in the same game. Went to the game against Hull on Sunday, they had a few of their imports out and it definitely showed, the third line was completely out of it's depth and they were all over the shop defensively.

Televised game between Steelers and Panthers at the weekend was entertaining, a hard but fair game and the officials definitely let it flow.

I take in quite a lot of SNL games and have done for a number of years, namely Paisley Pirates. The top half of that league seems to be good, some right good sides from Paisley, Edinburgh, Kirkcaldy and Aberdeen mainly, bit of a gap between those teams at the top and the ones further down the league but see some really good games. Sadly they've played most of their regular season games at home against the better sides although the game against Moray Typhoons in February should be a bit of a grudge match! There will of course be playoff games to come at the end of the season which could be worth a look. Games usually played on a Sunday at Braehead, only one side of the rink open so obviously totally different from a Braehead Clan game but it's only £6 or £7 to get in so well worth going along if you're into your hockey.

The hockey is a good night out regardless of your level of interest in the sport itself. The way that Braehead have developed over the years could serve as a lesson to some other sports, it's really impressive.

Are there many people on here keeping up with the EIHL?

Was at the Clan game tonight against the Giants, as per usual very entertaining game. Never seen the clan away from home but I've been to 5 or 6 games this year and they've certainly looked alot sharper at home than last year. Great to see them roar back from the 6-1 horsing in Belfast last night to beat them 5-2 in the return fixture at home.

Anyone at the game see what happened to the ref that he was off injured for a good 5-10 minutes in the 3rd?

I go to most Clan home games and have done since the Clan's first season. I get my tickets through the official supporters club so I'm usually up in blocks N or M. Will miss 2 or 3 a season if they clash with concerts but that's about it. I also go to a few away games a year and I've been to every top flight rink except Cardiff.

Going to Murrayfield tonight. Won't be back at Kirkcaldy until they get a proper net for behind the goal and give the fishermen back their trawler net.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

Depends where you go.

Usually it's shite though, outwith big games in Fife, Dundee and Edinburgh.

Braeheads is just glorified pantomime.

Just I read somewhere from an American that "they all sing songs" during the game,e at British ice hockey (I'm sure it was Edinburgh he had went to see) and he found it weird

Just I read somewhere from an American that "they all sing songs" during the game,e at British ice hockey (I'm sure it was Edinburgh he had went to see) and he found it weird

I have been to a few games at Dundee now. Hard to say what it could be like as the stars are shite but there was a good atmosphere at the fife game due to a big travelling support.

It is a bit "women and bairns" for me to really get into it but it's something me and the missus can do together and I can take nieces and nephews and they all have a great time.

Imagine the sort of atmosphere you get at women's international football or commonwealth hockey.

Got tickets for my first dabble in ice hockey for Braehead v Edinburgh next Saturday. Thoroughly looking forward to it, been hearing good things.

Are Braehead and Edinburgh rivals? What sort of crowds to Braehead usually get? Any particular players I should be looking out for?

I know I'm going to go here and compare every aspect of it to attending a Championship level football match. I've already done it with ordering the tickets and really liked the idea of being able to pick your seats and the price difference for certain areas of the arena/rink. From the outside looking in the pricing looks to be roughly the same but with more of a family friendly vibe and more fan interaction etc.

Got tickets for my first dabble in ice hockey for Braehead v Edinburgh next Saturday. Thoroughly looking forward to it, been hearing good things.

Are Braehead and Edinburgh rivals? What sort of crowds to Braehead usually get? Any particular players I should be looking out for?

I know I'm going to go here and compare every aspect of it to attending a Championship level football match. I've already done it with ordering the tickets and really liked the idea of being able to pick your seats and the price difference for certain areas of the arena/rink. From the outside looking in the pricing looks to be roughly the same but with more of a family friendly vibe and more fan interaction etc.

Will be a full house for that game (4000), most Saturday games are sold out and the Friday / Sunday ones are normally near enough.

The goaltender Jones is one of the fan favourites funnily enough, not been to that many games myself but I'd also say Haywood, Meyers and Esders are up there in the popularity stakes.

The Belfast game a couple of weeks ago Fitzgerald did a fair bit of boxing, so he's one to keep an eye on as he's clearly got a bit of a temper.