Elite Ice Hockey League

Zanetti

Also, TheTodd, I'm assuming that you go by the same name of the Capitals forum? Regarding your point about some of the Clan fans being the same people who have supported your team in previous seasons, I can't imagine that really is true of many people, and if it is then I really question whether they're real fans at all. I personally travelled through to Edinburgh a few times to watch games at MIR, but I never really supported the Capitals. I understand that you were just hurting a bit after that horrible result for you guys, but I thought I would try to clear that up. The vast majority of people supporting the Clan are either ex-Eagles or Pirates fans, or fans of the sport who've never had a team to follow previously, and I myself fall into the latter. If anyone really did switch allegiances just like that then I'd seriously question how much the Capitals at the time, or indeed the Clan now mean to them. But seriously, I wish the Edinburgh Capitals nothing but good fortune for the rest of the season and I hate to see any team in serious trouble.

Yeah it's me. Almost immediately after posting it I regretted doing so, but too late to take it back. It wasn't just the fact we lost heavily that was getting at me, but it feels now like I'm watching the slow and painful death of a team I support. It was the dawning realisation that for the rest of the reason matches like that will start becoming the norm. Not sure how aware you are of our situation, but as well as losing players permanently we were further reduced in numbers by illness and injury - including our import goalie Scott Reid and GB international defenceman Kyle Horne.

8-0 is a walloping, and was a more than accurate reflection on the match itself. Clan played well enough without streching themselves too much, and we did as well as we could considering how short benched we were. We didn't even have enough players to do full line changes so it would have been hard for the players to settle into.

TheTodd, this may have been brought up on the caps forum, but do you think scott neil is trying to do far too much by himself??

Oh lord yes. The man is Owner, Coach, GM, PR person and it's all too much. Scott Neil is a good guy, and we have a lot to him to be grateful for, but he simply cannot do all this by himself. The Caps setup is amateur at best.

In an ideal scenario someone would come in, buy the club and leave Scott be GM leaving someone else to do the coaching, PR and attracting sponsors. However, there's rumours there's been many offers made and he's knocked them all back. There's a feeling that he has no intention of selling the club he started himself to anyone.

I don't see there being any pro hockey in Edinburgh next season, or any season any time in the future. Looks like I'll have to kick that nasty habit of going to matches and replace it with ESPN. <_<

I don't see there being any pro hockey in Edinburgh next season, or any season any time in the future. Looks like I'll have to kick that nasty habit of going to matches and replace it with ESPN. <_<

Indeed. Its looking bleaker by the day. Not a great time to be a Caps fan.:(

They need to go to the wall to come back stronger, another new name, maybe get a decent ice rink like Braehead have layed out, Murrayfield is a dark, dinky, awful rink, if the caps want to attract people they need to have a decent brand, rink and advertise, the clan have been a great model, there is the market for enough fans in edinburgh, drumming up support is important they need to do more to get fans in.

Thats the problem. There is no new arena on the horizon and the Council do little to support any of the sports teams in the City. Unless its to do with tourists or vanity projects, they dont give two hoots.

Better PR is certainly needed. The number of times ive spoken about hockey to friends and none of them even know we have team beggars belief.

Let's forget any notion of a new rink or arena. It's shocking Edinburgh cannot boast the same facilities of Coventry, Hull, Braehead etc, but it won't happen. We have to deal with what we have: MIR. Now, I'll be honest I'd love a new rink but when the game is on I don't care a jot for facilities, I'm concentrating on the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Capitals now back up to 4 imports, and news on new investors\shareholders to follow in the next couple of weeks. We've hit rock bottom, and now we're headed back up again. Hopefully.