Elite Ice Hockey League

Zanetti

Matt Haywood has left the Clan after 12 seasons, reading his statement on twitter it seems as though he was only getting a contract if we couldn't get anyone better in so he decided to go elsewhere which is fair enough really.

• 2 months later...

Outside the EIHL, the Scottish National League have announced their fixtures for the upcoming season. The eight teams will now play each other twice at home and twice away (except the Dundee teams who will have just one home game against each opponent for double points due to ice time shortages at the arena). This is a big increase in games and has been done to enhance player development. It can hopefully only be a good thing. Paisley Pirates are my local (ish) team and will be playing mainly on Sunday evenings. Will be going along to watch them a few times as it's a great way to see some hockey without having to pay EIHL prices. Their first game is a 5pm face off, and if they continue with that I'll be able to do a fair few women's football and ice hockey double headers on Sundays, which sounds like a pretty good time to me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/08/2022 at 11:06, Craig fae the Vale said:

Outside the EIHL, the Scottish National League have announced their fixtures for the upcoming season. The eight teams will now play each other twice at home and twice away (except the Dundee teams who will have just one home game against each opponent for double points due to ice time shortages at the arena). This is a big increase in games and has been done to enhance player development. It can hopefully only be a good thing. Paisley Pirates are my local (ish) team and will be playing mainly on Sunday evenings. Will be going along to watch them a few times as it's a great way to see some hockey without having to pay EIHL prices. Their first game is a 5pm face off, and if they continue with that I'll be able to do a fair few women's football and ice hockey double headers on Sundays, which sounds like a pretty good time to me.

I dislike that the Edinburgh Capitals have suddenly just reappeared like they weren't one of the worst run clubs ever and the Murrayfield Racers were told to take a hike. Also can't see to see any explanation why Belfast aren't in the league anymore. 

15 minutes ago, Torpar said:

I dislike that the Edinburgh Capitals have suddenly just reappeared like they weren't one of the worst run clubs ever and the Murrayfield Racers were told to take a hike. Also can't see to see any explanation why Belfast aren't in the league anymore. 

The whole last few years at Murray Murrayfield rink has been really strange with the way the Capitals and Racers have been handled.

Yeah, I've not seen any reasoning behind Belfast not being in there any more. I was wondering if with the increase in games it wasn't financially viable for them any more.

• 3 weeks later...

Not too early to say this Clan goalie is a haddy. Can’t control his rebounds, small in net, no apparent sense of where his posts are on lateral moving and an inability to see shots from above the circles. 

A guy who’s made 3 pro appearances in his career >3GAA before now is closer to 4 or 5GAA with clan. Go figure. 

• 2 weeks later...

Chalmers has been a shoogly peg since the last Finner season and Cameron certainly was after the start to this year showing the same issues as last but this is the end game. 

Neil Black has no interest in being involved other than his bottom line and that will take a tanking unless he cleans house and very visibly so. 

You can just about get away with this shit if you’re a major sports team in North America but a team just barely surviving in Glasgow and an owner who has just taken over the lease on a massive arena? No chance. 

The only good that has come out of this situation is to show how good a fan base the club have, on top of kicking up the stink that got this decision reversed they’ve already raised over 1k for a rape crisis charity since lunchtime today.

No way Cameron or Chalmers survive this.

Cameron is a garbage coach. We started last season terribly, but there were reasons. To still make the same mistakes in March that we were making in November is the sign of a guy who can't coach improvements in his team. We started this season just as badly. We're not losing Scotty Bowman here. The Fin would have filled a skills gap that the club has right now, but as soon as it became clear that he would be bringing serious problems with him then it's Cameron's role to say "on second thoughts, I think we should look elsewhere". The disruption to the locker room would have been massive. Cameron has no excuse for not telling the club to stop the signing.

Chalmers has been a liability for some time now. We've had years of mismanagement. Poor sponsor retention. Treating fans like garbage. We started last season late because as late as the last week of October, the club didnt have the arena deal signed. THat meant no ice plant service. It also meant no safety certificate. The club's reaction was to blame COP26. The most recent f**k up before the signing f**k up was to try and sneak through a re-categorising of seats that would have seen the cheapest options reduced to barely a couple of hundred and price rises for the rest of the rink. Gaff after gaff. Excuse after excuse. Broken promise after broken promise. A 30 second google search shows that this guy would be a liability as a signing. Gareth Chalmers decided to rubber stamp the deal anyway. THe club's official media guy even discusses the allegations in the now deleted video. The club knew about the rape case but went ahead with the signing.

It took 3 hours for fan pressure to win over and for the deal to be cancelled. The initial announcement that the contract was no longer going ahead included the branding of the club's title sponsor. That was swiftly deleted and replaced with a graphic with no branding. That suggests that the Clan are so toxic that the sponsors are looking to walk away because they don't want to be associated with the club.

All of this was avoidable. Either Cameron himself decides against signing the player or Chalmers thinks of the consequences and refuses to do the deal. It's a huge self-inflicted wound that may have long term repercussions for the club. The reaction of the supporters was entirely expected and it's to the fans' credit that the deal was cancelled on the back of sustained fan pressure. But that's not enough. It's one thing to pressure the club into not signing a guy who admitted non-consensual sex and then fled the USA. It's another that we need to deal with the idiots who thought that the deal was something they should even be looking at doing, never mind actually signing the guy.

Cameron and Chalmers have to go. Neither have performed well enough for the Clan and this latest fiasco is simply the last straw. 

12 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Chalmers has been a shoogly peg since the last Finner season and Cameron certainly was after the start to this year showing the same issues as last but this is the end game. 

Neil Black has no interest in being involved other than his bottom line and that will take a tanking unless he cleans house and very visibly so. 

You can just about get away with this shit if you’re a major sports team in North America but a team just barely surviving in Glasgow and an owner who has just taken over the lease on a massive arena? No chance. 

The only good that has come out of this situation is to show how good a fan base the club have, on top of kicking up the stink that got this decision reversed they’ve already raised over 1k for a rape crisis charity since lunchtime today.

As Montreal found out when they drafted a player with sex offending in his background. The player himself even asked not to be drafted.

The Habs have just about managed to work through that, but for some time it was rightly damaging for them.

Title sponsor have walked at Clan.

Black really has fucked up here. I wonder if he has anyone other than Chalmers to tell him what's going on locally.

Maybe you could ride this out in Nottingham but we have been through this in Scotland the the FM making statements about the DG situation. 

Clan also seem to have a much younger, female, progressive fan base than some of the English clubs too.

Neil Black has fucked this.

I wanted Cameron and Chalmers gone. I don't believe that the head coach wasn't at least informed of the potential signing. His coat was already on a shoogly peg with the woeful hockey we've played under his management. Chalmers moving sideways is also a bad move for me. The guy showed an incredible lack of judgement and I'd rather somebody with such a piss poor judgement wasn't involved in the senior management of the hockey or arena business.

But regardless of the outcome of those 2 individuals, the owner has shown a complete failure to understand what went wrong, why it went wrong or take any kind of steps to try and rescue the situation. Fans are angry because of the ongoing lack of communication. Sponsors even more so because not only is association with the Clan currently toxic to their businesses, the lack of any kind of outreach from Black to reassure them shows just how much he cares about the club and it's relationship with it's sponsors.

Absolutely not at all.

What we're about to see is whether or not Neil Black actually wants to fight for the Clan or if he's happy to see us stumble towards oblivion? I don't believe he has anything like enough interest to try and salvage this.