Elite Ice Hockey League

Zanetti

I was thinking of taking in the Flyers game against Coventry since I'll be passing through on Saturday.
Last hockey game I went to was Dundee v Belfast a couple of years ago.
Never been to the Fife Ice Arena before, mostly just went to Capitals home games and occasional visit to Braehead although did go to an away game in Altrinham once when I was also down that way for a Bolton game.
It's a nice old fashioned arena (obviously I'm biased) but the team has 3 wins in the trot at home and tends to be a decent atmosphere.

Team doesn't give the goal tender much protection but he puts in MOTM performances on a regular basis. Worth a go if you are passing through

On 12/11/2021 at 21:30, sailorcowden said:

It's a nice old fashioned arena (obviously I'm biased) but the team has 3 wins in the trot at home and tends to be a decent atmosphere.

Team doesn't give the goal tender much protection but he puts in MOTM performances on a regular basis. Worth a go if you are passing through

We went to Anstruther for fish & chips after East Fife game and was about 5 past 7 when hit the junction with the option to go right and head home or take a left for the hockey. I was quite pleased I decided to go left as really enjoyed the game. Fife goal minder was MOTM in my mind although Coventry really gave themselves an uphill battle conceding so many penalties, the Dumbarton of the Elite league from an Airdrie perspecitive!

We went to Anstruther for fish & chips after East Fife game and was about 5 past 7 when hit the junction with the option to go right and head home or take a left for the hockey. I was quite pleased I decided to go left as really enjoyed the game. Fife goal minder was MOTM in my mind although Coventry really gave themselves an uphill battle conceding so many penalties, the Dumbarton of the Elite league from an Airdrie perspecitive!
I made the fateful choice (mistake) to go up to Elgin so missed it. Glad you got an exciting game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cameron has signed on for another year as coach of the Clan.
This can only be a good thing as we haven't started the season with the same coach for the last 5 or so seasons. He will hopefully be able to hold onto the core of the squad and supplement it with better players now he's abit more familiar with the style of the league and will have a full preseason to recruit players.

Only fair he gets another year with being appointed fairly late and delay in clan starting season. He says he has talked to over 100 players already since start of year, I'm guessing ice hockey less strict or don't have resource to do anything about tapping up players while at clubs. Fair enough its short career with short contracts and not megabucks at this level everyone has to get best deal they can. Hopefully means Gareth Chalmers is talking more a hands off role in player recruitment, seemed like a conflict of interest with him running an agency. Seen him at Dundee pre lockdown with Clan when they had a different head coach and very much looked like he was running the show rather than letting head coach get on with it.  

I'm off to Dundee v Nottingham tonight. Hard to know what to expect from Dundee but they are pretty good at home and this Panthers team don't look good this season. Would expect Belfast, Sheffield and Cardiff to make the final 4 but the other place is very much up for grabs so finishing 5th rather than 6th is critical. Would be great if premier picked 4th v 5th for their quarter final matchup though will likely show Sheffield. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great result and performance by Stars. I was sat next to the Steelers fans, vast majority were fine cheered their team in the right way and clapped both teams off the ice. There was one lassie though just screaming that they were used to being on top and such like throughout the game and went into a melt down when Stars tied then won the tie thought at least in ice hockey grown adults only act like that online. Means so much when your a smaller club and you make it to a major semi or final. Great atmosphere tonight. 

The elite league have really screwed up they bumped the finals weekend tickets significantly and there is no option for concession tickets not even for kids. Imagine being a family of 4 from Belfast time you get flights, accommodation for 3 nights and all the food and drink could easily be a 4 figure sum.  Nottingham the hosts got knocked out and Sheffield would bring the largest support form outside Nottingham but will be small given they are not there. Barely half the tickets have been sold hopefully be a lesson the league to not stick 2 fingers the fans that put so much money into them throughout lockdown.

37 minutes ago, grazza said:

Great result and performance by Stars. I was sat next to the Steelers fans, vast majority were fine cheered their team in the right way and clapped both teams off the ice. There was one lassie though just screaming that they were used to being on top and such like throughout the game and went into a melt down when Stars tied then won the tie thought at least in ice hockey grown adults only act like that online. Means so much when your a smaller club and you make it to a major semi or final. Great atmosphere tonight. 

The elite league have really screwed up they bumped the finals weekend tickets significantly and there is no option for concession tickets not even for kids. Imagine being a family of 4 from Belfast time you get flights, accommodation for 3 nights and all the food and drink could easily be a 4 figure sum.  Nottingham the hosts got knocked out and Sheffield would bring the largest support form outside Nottingham but will be small given they are not there. Barely half the tickets have been sold hopefully be a lesson the league to not stick 2 fingers the fans that put so much money into them throughout lockdown.

I'm not going. Not when I can just get it on TV for 15 quid.

As well as the price debacle moving it to the May holiday significantly increased hotel prices. Just for me and the missus it would be 800 just for petrol, tickets and hotel before I bought a pint.

TBH not that bothered. Tonight with over 2000 in the rink is what its about.

Been to POW in Nottingham a couple of times and it's fine but a bit too dominated by the type of weirdos who follow the non-Scottish teams for whom hockey is their only sport. Folk who like North American sports but not football are OFTW.

Always liked the Scottish derbies even back to Edinburgh days as it wasn't quite a football crowd but there was at least a bit of edge.

Always pleasing to beat the Steelers though, especially those fans who thought it was party time with half the game still to go.

Class from Dundee. Got a fair cheer in the arena last night - I’d have fancied our chances more against Sheffield then Cardiff given how we’ve played both teams over the season but last night was some boot in the baws.