Elite Ice Hockey League

Zanetti

Hopefully Braehead arena will be ok. Short term Clan at Murrayfield for a year I guess they could do so but if longer term move I could see it turning out like Ayr's move to Braehead they would need to drop Glasgow from the name. Murrayfield Racers have a lease with the rink and I get the impression it is quite cliquey and dated how the rink run their business so may not be as welcoming to Clan. Even during Caps time in elite the rink really wasn't that supportive and no interest in updating facilities ( I understand the listed seating part of it but in terms of food facilities, fan areas, changing rooms etc. )

Short term Murrayfield if they have somewhere else to go to in greater Glasgow area even just something like Altringham or a more permanent facility like ice Sheffield. Maybe an opportunity for Clan to seek investment maybe for a shared ownership of the arena so they don't get kick out the building for a month when singing kettle is in town.  

Streaming UK hockey on its own ain't viable. For elite teams under normal circumstances its good revenue from away fans, more people may use streams in current situation but still teams would really need at least 2 thirds of normal attendances and work on smaller budgets.

Paisley and any amateur/semi pro SNL teams I don't see there being a market there for webcasts. They could play at Stevenson for short term but there is already North Ayrshire wild there.  They could maybe scrape by on a pay to play basis but I think with Clan and maybe some other ice sport stakeholders could come up with a plan to show that a rink in greater Glasgow would be justifiable. 

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like it's going to be a December start for the league with a mini tournament then the league finishing with the playoffs in mid May. This is all dependent on fans being allowed back into arenas.
Full announcement below.

https://clanihc.com/post/news-eihl-board-outline-return-to-play-roadmap/

• 3 weeks later...

Clan announcing their first 3 import signings later tonight.
Have to say I'm surprised we're announcing import signings considering there's still so much uncertainty over whether the league will go ahead this season.

• 4 weeks later...

Latest rumours, fuelled by Tony Smith, that the Elite League is likely to be canned for a season as the 'majority' of clubs couldn't survive on reduced capacity.

Now, I'm not trying to be cynical but it's probably true to say that the only clubs who would suffer in a big way would be Steelers and Panthers and perhaps to a lesser extent, Blaze.

For Dundee, Fife, Manchester, Belfast and the rest a 50% capacity would not be the end of the world for one season, given their averages over the last year or two.

There's a simple solution for a year - reduce the number of imports and give ice time to Brits. Guess who that probably hinders though? - yeah you got it, Sheffield.

Trouble with the game in this country is that there's never any outlook towards the bigger picture or the longer term.

People like Smith, Dave Simms and Neil Black, whilst they probably care deeply about their clubs couldn't give a flying f**k about Stars, Flyers, Storm etc but if they get their way and season is binned then some of those clubs may never return in the future.

Who do you think the Brits are that are going to ice for Fife and Dundee with reduced/no imports?

The Top 100 Brits would be hoovered up by Sheffield, Nottingham,Guildford and Cardiff.

After that you are talking SNL players icing for Dundee and Fife. It would be a farce. 

Also, it would be nowhere near 50% capacity. You would have to take out every second row and then put in additional gaps within rows.

I spoke to Dundee owners and without 1200 averages and the odd 1500-2000 it isn't viable. It might be on a reduced import level but you get back to problem of who these Brits are.

No way are people paying 18 quid to watch John Dolan and Sam McCluskey. 

The main worry Dundee owners have is starting a season with imports and having to can it after a couple of months. 

I just can't see it going ahead.

Apparently there's a meeting with all the club owners on 15th September when they will decide whether or not the league will start as planned in December, cant see it happening to be honest.
Clan have apparently told any players under contract for the upcoming season to consider alternative employment.

• 2 weeks later...
Gutted the season has been suspended but in my mind I knew it would be. Going to really miss my Clan game nights. I just hope this doesn’t sink any teams as so many players will be itching to get a move to a European team 
Definitely inevitable.

Fingers crossed the Scottish teams make it through the lay off and all come back stronger.

I don't know the inner details of Clan or Flyers - or really Stars for that matter - but suspect the Scottish clubs have a decent chance of making it through given they probably don't have the same costs as the bigger teams down the road. Stars only have two paid staff and they've decided to retain them, which is obviously great news. I would guess Fife and to a lesser extent Clan have small staffing levels too.

38 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

Definitely inevitable.

Fingers crossed the Scottish teams make it through the lay off and all come back stronger.

I don't know the inner details of Clan or Flyers - or really Stars for that matter - but suspect the Scottish clubs have a decent chance of making it through given they probably don't have the same costs as the bigger teams down the road. Stars only have two paid staff and they've decided to retain them, which is obviously great news. I would guess Fife and to a lesser extent Clan have small staffing levels too.

I hope all teams make it through, even ones that the Clan traditionally love to hate! I think there was already a worrying aspect to the Clan with the whole Intu Braehead situation. Just hope by the team next season comes around we’ll be able to get players of a decent standard! It’s going to be a long 11 months, and no Clangus 😞

• 6 months later...

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/dons-working-closely-with-aberdeen-council-to-make-beach-stadium-real/

I wonder/hope if they may replace the current rink in Aberdeen with one suitable for Elite League hockey, be good to have a 4th Scottish team again, though I'm sure the English teams would moan about having to travel so "far" to play in the UK Elite League. 

• 1 month later...

Looking like there'll be no Clan next year, at least.

They are looking into taking over the Arena from the new Braehead owners but things don't seem to be going quickly or well so far.

Worrying lack of a Plan B in the statement.

Sadly it doesn’t look good for the Clan. I really miss the games and the thought of another 15 months at least without Clan games really saddens me. I fear this could be the end of them. So many happy memories I’ve had at Clan games with people no longer in my life. I’d be heartbroken if they go to the wall like the Eagles did 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Clan announce ‘positive’ discussions with the owners of the Arena and are now turning their focus to appointing a head coach and communication with season ticket holders for the new season.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/06/2021 at 19:06, MP_MFC said:

Clan announce ‘positive’ discussions with the owners of the Arena and are now turning their focus to appointing a head coach and communication with season ticket holders for the new season.

A few legal issues to sort out, but should all get sorted soon, I believe

• 2 weeks later...