Elite Ice Hockey League

Zanetti

Nottingham V Sheffield free on youtube tonight

As above link free game tonight on YouTube Panthers done  same thing couple weeks ago against Cardiff. Their owner (Also owns the Clan )seemed to be against doing Webcasts previously now they have a free one supported by advertising, looks like they will only do it for game they now will pretty much sell out regardless. Should be a tight end to the season. I stay in Dundee so follow the Stars these days was cracking match v an in form Clan last week that they edged in OT. Massive match home to Fife tomorrow coach Pacha is lacing up the skates first time this season I think to give extra body on the D. 

Belfast Giants have accepted an invite to join the Champions Hockey League. They were runners up in the continental cup (sort of europa league equivalent) losing only on penalty shots but the winners were from Kazakhstan and  so logistically they could not take part in Champ league due to distance. Belfast previously turned invite down a few years ago glad they have accepted this time.  If Belfast win regular season championship then regular season runners up will get the normal CHL spot the elite league get. Play off winners will get continental cup spot if winners of that already qualified think it would then go to Challenge cup winners. 

Next live EIHL game on freesports in Fife v Belfast on Wed 27th Feb. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking of going with my bro and his son, who's five to see Fife Flyers , potentially on March 10th against Sheffield. I used to go a few times with an ex, circa ten years ago mind you, and it used to be very much pay at the gate and sit where you want.

Is this much the same or should we look at booking tickets? If so is it on their website or at their ticket office?

Cheers for any advice! It'll be the wee lads first time at a sporting event.

• 2 weeks later...

Not Elite but now that the EPL doesn't exist it's technically one step down (a rather large step) ....

Some scenes at the top of the NIHL North. With 2 games to go the 3 ex Premier League teams Hull Pirates, Telford Tigers and Sheffield Steeldogs are all on 62 points.

Hull play Telford at home then Sheffield away. Sheffield are in Dumfries to play Solway Sharks before the Hull game. Telford are home to 6th placed Solihull after they face Hull. 

The league isn't as competitive overall as it was before the big boys came down, the gulf between them and the rest is too vast, but what a way to end the season. Also well done to Solway Sharks for being comfortably best of the rest in 4th.

On 3/16/2019 at 18:02, #Gary said:

MK leaving the Elite League to join the new NIHL.

Right move I reckon, as is Hull Pirates, Sheffield Steeldogs and Telford Tigers moving back up. Hopefully good news for Solway Sharks as they'll be one of the favourites to win their league next season.

Speaking of, both Sheffield and Telford beat their lower ranked opponents, but Hull beat both Sheffield and Telford and deservedly took the title. Still playoffs to come mind but this is a British league so everyone wants the league title just as much.

On 3/18/2019 at 17:32, DG.Roma said:

Right move I reckon, as is Hull Pirates, Sheffield Steeldogs and Telford Tigers moving back up. Hopefully good news for Solway Sharks as they'll be one of the favourites to win their league next season.

Speaking of, both Sheffield and Telford beat their lower ranked opponents, but Hull beat both Sheffield and Telford and deservedly took the title. Still playoffs to come mind but this is a British league so everyone wants the league title just as much.

Are the Steeldogs considering moving up? Seems a bit mental, two teams in one city would be cool, and they have a great rink, but do they have enough exclusively Steeldogs fans to survive in the Elite League?  Interesting reading the news release about the new NIHL structure, North Division 1 including an eighth team to be confirmed, Murrayfield Racers maybe? Dundee Comets joining the North Cup is cool too, good to see teams challenge themselves  

5 minutes ago, Torpar said:

Are the Steeldogs considering moving up?   

Moving up from D1 North into the new National league, not up to the Elite.

I would love for there to be a 2nd or 3rd Scottish team in with the Sharks. It would be a tough sell to some in that league though in terms of travel, especially in those "Northern" hotspots like Solihull and Coventry. 

I thought the 8th team might've been Widnes or Altrincham but they're listed in D2.

12 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

Moving up from D1 North into the new National league, not up to the Elite.

I would love for there to be a 2nd or 3rd Scottish team in with the Sharks. It would be a tough sell to some in that league though in terms of travel, especially in those "Northern" hotspots like Solihull and Coventry. 

I thought the 8th team might've been Widnes or Altrincham but they're listed in D2.

Ah my mistake. I read just after posting that the Racers director Willie Dunn says in the Evening News they have no plans to move up next season. Maybe a Leeds team will take the 8th spot 

• 1 month later...

I dont like the way he's done it. I also doubt that 2nd bottom of DEL2 is the big opportunity that Russell is thinking it is.

But he's gone. It's done. We can't afford to f**k this up because we've seen what happens when we do - we screwed the appointment when Bannister left and it cost us Jordan Krestanovich as a top player for another couple of seasons. It also resulted in John Tripp, a guy more adept  at stealing biscuits from the referee changing room than coaching hockey.

Focus has to be on our next coach. Russell is yesterday's news. We need to make sure we get the next appointment right and that we recruit well.

• 3 months later...

Not long til this gets started again. How's people feeling about their own team?
From a Stars point of view, it's much the same as last year and the year before and the year......
Some experience with good looking stats and managed to retain a couple of the better players from last season. Would be happy with 8th and a go at reaching Nottingham. Last year the team fell just short after a poor opening couple of months. Any kind of consistency in that opening few games and they've have comfortably been mid table and assured of a PO place. Maybe this year.

The Clan are looking pretty strong again this year. Lost a few of players that I'd have liked have seen back in Connolly, Wilson and Hanson, however the core of the squad has been retained with a couple of (on paper) very good additions in Mathieu Roy and Chad Rau.
Will be interested to see how Fitzy manages the transition from player to coach however plenty have done it successfully previously and one thing is for sure that no one will be putting out a half arsed shift on the ice with him in charge.

• 3 weeks later...

We were pish last night. First competitive game of the season so I'm not going to be critical. Dundee were just better than us in every area. Better goaltending. Sharper awareness. Crisper passing. Better skating. Fitter. Hungrier. Omar Pacha again showing that he's one of the best coaches in the league.

We'll get better. Time to judge the Clan is mid October when we've got our Disney on Ice away tour out of the way and we've been back in our own barn for a couple of games. 

I'll be in Dundee tonight for the away leg of the cup.

We were pish last night. First competitive game of the season so I'm not going to be critical. Dundee were just better than us in every area. Better goaltending. Sharper awareness. Crisper passing. Better skating. Fitter. Hungrier. Omar Pacha again showing that he's one of the best coaches in the league.
We'll get better. Time to judge the Clan is mid October when we've got our Disney on Ice away tour out of the way and we've been back in our own barn for a couple of games. 
Sounds like last night was even worse! Hopefully it's just a case of new player settling in and everyone getting used to the new systems etc.

9 hours ago, spud131 said:
On 01/09/2019 at 10:40, BallochSonsFan said:

Sounds like last night was even worse! Hopefully it's just a case of new player settling in and everyone getting used to the new systems etc.

I was there.

It was.

• 3 weeks later...

Attending my first game of the new season when Flyers play Coventry on Saturday, Despite an early loss to Clan in the cup we seem to have improved a fair bit, a cup shutout against the Stars in their barn was a great response, from the highlights it looks like Morrison had an absolute blinder in the nets. 4 league points from Coventry away and Nottingham at home is a most welcome weekend return.

I honestly thought Fife would struggle this season but the early signs are promising, however we simply don't have the depth of squad when the injuries and suspensions kick in. Making the playoff finals weekend would be our main aim for the season I think.

• 3 weeks later...